2.1 Mail app failure - BIG QC FAIL

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by n0de, Sep 19, 2008.

1. n0de macrumors 6502

None of my push or fetch email accounts work anymore. I have tried restoring and even wiping and starting over. Everything was fine for a day after the 2.1 upgrade but then it all went to crap.

Apparently it is a pretty big issue: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1708956&tstart=0 with several of the posters on the apple discussion thread stating that they have been told by Applecare it is a widespread problem.

The mail accounts that are failing are MobileMe (push), Gmail (fetch) and my corporate exchange (push).

Calendar app is failing now too, I guess because it cannot sync from exchange.

Anyone else having this problem.

2. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

YES!! This is pathetic. Really. Basic feature of a smartphone doesn't work. The reason why i took the plunge for this phone. I feel like an idiot around other people constantly having to check the email myself. I don't like how Apple won't acknowledge it's a problem. They tell people to do a restore. Or that 2.1 was to fix this. Tell us now that they are aware and a fix is on the way.

3. walnuts macrumors 6502

Hmm, I haven't had any issue. I have both a mobileme and a gmail account linked. The mobileme account is push and the gmail checks manually (because it forwards to mobileme.

I wonder why some people have issues and others don't?

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Exchange push sort of works for me after 2.1: It occasionally misses new mail coming in until I go into the mail app and consistently receives mail after my desktop machine (at least when I'm sat at it to notice!). Prior to 2.1, my iPhone always got the mail immediately and often before my desktop.
    So, although it mostly works for me, it's been a step backwards from previous versions...

5. n0de thread starter macrumors 6502

@Walnuts

That is a very good question.

On the Apple support board people are complaining who have every combination of only MobileMe, only Gmail or a variety of multiple account combinations. If only push was broken, or only exchange it would be easy to diagnose.

The only thing I can think of is that it has something to do with the way the update was applied and how it saved previous settings prior to upgrade. This doesn't explain though why when I wiped my device and did not restore my backup it still did not work.

6. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

7. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

sorry to hear it isn't working for you. it works amazingly well on my iPhone.

if it makes you feel any better, Push straight kills the battery. you might be a little better off without it.

8. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

Port Washington, Wisconsin - Boats and Beer . . .
    My exchange account is set to push and I haven't had any problems, however, it is the only mail account I have setup on my phone as it is my personal and work account. Is this only a problem for people with multiple accounts setup?

9. tallyho macrumors 6502a

tallyho

Maybe it depends how many emails you receive? I would guess if you get an email every minute or so, having them pushed to the iPhone could drain the battery faster than doing one fetch every 15 minutes. I haven't noticed a battery hit with my push from MobileMe though (although as others point out, push is a bit erratic since the 2.1 upgrade)

10. mmoran27 macrumors 6502

Maybe it is something with your setup.

My exchange pushes fine and mobileme works as well.

They both push instantly. I see them before they show up in my outlook.

11. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

I don't know. Mine works perfectly, and I have a friend who absolutely could not get hers to work no matter how many times I tried to talk her through it, and I got hers working in five minutes yesterday. Another friend repeatedly had his MM settings wrong, despite me asking him over and over. That was fixed the other day and now works flawlessy.

I'm not saying it's all user error, but I'd bet some of it is.

I hope you get it working for you soon.

12. diesel macrumors 6502a

i have several gmail accounts configured on my iphone and they're all working fine with 2.1

13. emoh macrumors member

mine works great for both gmail and exchange. Love reading and sending emails on both accounts.

Maybe you might want to do a restore and reconfigure your mail accounts?

14. James L macrumors 6502a

Pushing one button on your phone and waiting 5 seconds to see if there is any new mail makes you feel like an idiot?

Perhaps you have to much emotionally invested in checking your email.

:)

15. ratbatblue macrumors 6502

Here's what I've found since 2.1 came out:

Push works on my Yahoo account.
    Fetch works on my Gmail account.
    I don't have anything on Exchange and don't use MobileMe.

But...I've tested twice now, with a few days in between and with Push turned off in between (I don't actually use the feature, just got curious). Each time I turned Push on and sent a test mail, I had to turn the iPhone off and back on for it to work. Once I power cycled, it worked from that point on. But at first blush, it seems like if you turn the feature off, then back on, you'll need to power cycle your phone before it will work. HTH.

By the way, does anyone have a definitive answer about how Push works? Is there something active in the phone all the time when the feature is turned on, waiting to receive pushed mail? If that's not the case, unless one gets a ton of email in the pushed account, I don't see how using Push could drain the battery noticeably.

16. kes601 macrumors regular

For those of you saying it works, I'm curious:

Does it work only when you are connected to a power source or actively using the iPhone? What about when it is not connected to a power source and sits on your hip for a couple of hours?

My push and fetch only work when docked to my speakers or if I am actively using the phone.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It seems like fetch (I don't use push) is definitely more consistent on my iPhone with 2.1 than it was before. I definitely had the fetch fails, particularly overnight and sometimes when I switch from being on wifi back to being on EDGE.

I still do think it happens, though, particularly with the Wifi/cell switch. Also particularly related to this issue is the situations where a wifi signal is strong enough to connect with but too weak to push any data across and/or situations where wifi works inconsistently. For instance, if I connect to an open Wifi network that requires me to accept an agreement or authenticate via Safari, Mail sometimes seems to try and fail to get e-mail off these networks at times when I haven't recently done the Safari authentication and then even when I leave the wifi region, it fails to do the next fetch until one is done manually.

With respect to that, I think it would be very nice if Apple did better at having the iPhone detect that it is failing to get what it wants from a Wifi hotspot and having it try and divert back to cellular data to keep things like Mail working smoothly.

18. bdorpetzl macrumors regular

bdorpetzl

Port Washington, Wisconsin - Boats and Beer . . .
    Mine works in my pocket, on my desk, pretty much everywhere. My iPhone is undocked in the morning @ ~6:00 am and doesn't make it back to the dock until roughly 10:30 pm, sometimes later. A good portion of that time is spent with the phone not being actively used.

19. Ntombi macrumors 68030

Ntombi

Mine works, plugged in or not, sleeping or not, locked or not. I was in a bldg with one bar of EDGE for several hours last night, and still got email. It couldn't dl the bigger HTML mail, but I got the notification and everything else just as normal.

20. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

GMail should be working fine, this hasn't got anything to do with Apple!

21. kes601 macrumors regular

True, but if the phone is not fetching on schedule then it would still be a problem.

22. kes601 macrumors regular

I just disabled WiFi and Push is working great now.

23. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Has nothing to do with the actual email, it's the fact that i have this expensive phone and someone next to me with a POS phone receives his email without any trouble.

24. James L macrumors 6502a

I understand it is wrong if it is advertised to work a certain way and doesn't, but:

Seriously, who would care if you checked your email? I just don't see how something so insignificant could make someone feel like an idiot?

25. n0de thread starter macrumors 6502

After seeing no response from Apple on the Apple>Support discussion board I sent an email to sjobs at apple.com.

I did exchange information via email and telephone with "Mark", an Executive Relations representative who ultimately told me there was nothing to be done and it should be corrected in an upcoming patch. When I inquired about the expected delivery of this patch he said "it could be days, weeks or a couple of months."

Back to Blackberry then.....