2.1 not good enough. Still lagy, still crashing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nickb, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Nickb macrumors regular

I restored my iPhone the other day as I was sick of it crashing a lagging constantly. All went well and when I restarted my phone it was nice and 'snappy' again.

However a few days down the line and it's back to it's old tricks. Safari crashes all the time with out fail, SMS lags every time I open a new message.

Does anyone else have the same complaint as me as I want to scream ever time it happens

Any reasurance would be most welcome

Cheers
    Nick

2. vincebio macrumors 6502a

vincebio

yip...apps crashing...laggy keyboard, sms alerts with no messages, scrolling thru contacts sometimes goes to middle and misses so you have to scroll back up.

pain in the a@@

3. Mac?Daddy macrumors member

I've got the same issues. Applications are taking forever to open, my Safari enjoys crashing while on the 3G network, and apps tend to spontaneously close and bring up the home screen

4. rotobadger macrumors 65816

rotobadger

I too have had the same problems with 2.1 (slooow to open SMS, Settings and Photos among other things). I too did a complete restore to fix the problems. I too had the problems return.

I bought a 16GB 1st gen phone, downgraded to 1.1.4 and Jailbroke it. It works flawlessly and has a lighting fast and responsive UI compared to my 3G on 2.1.

Other than 3G speeds I am really not missing anything at this point.

Also, when scrolling through photos on 2.1 it is jerky and choppy. 1.1.4 scrolls nice and smooth.

5. ZDDP1273 macrumors 6502

I only get lag once in a long while, and I rarely have anything crash on me anymore.

6. JLatte macrumors 6502

I'm not one to usually complain about small things, but yes this is pretty damn annoying. Safari crashes ALL the time, and I'm not exaggerating. If I'm at work, whether on wifi or 3G, I open browser, go to MacRumors, it crashes. I go anywhere, it crashes. In fact, Craigslist.org is the only place that hasn't crashed yet. As far as apps go, I've had Apple's Holdem crash, I've had the tv guide application crash... in fact I've had almost half the applications crash when I use them.

My battery life has been sporadic, as of today I've made TWO phone calls for a total of perhaps 6 minutes. I've used Safari on a smoke break for maybe 5 minutes, just browsing Macrumors. I haven't used any applications, I've checked mail twice. I have 3g turned off, wifi is on and I haven't used the iPod function. With that being said, I shouldn't have just over half battery life. I have somewhere between one half and 3/4 battery life. With this usual activity of minimal usage, by the end of the day before I plug it in I will be down at 10% and getting the warning. This is completely not normal and I have no idea why it's doing that.

Resetting the phone doesn't work, only doing a restore works. Oh, and once in a while when I get a phone call, the person's picture that shows up still appears on my phone lock screen after they've hung up. The slide to unlock shows, however it doesn't respond. Only pressing the top button 2-3 times makes it go away. I love my phone, however this activity is NOT usual. Especially considering that I backup my phone, update everything every other day. Actually with that said, I'm going to be taking my phone in to get a replacement. I just hope to not get a refurbished with the exact same problems. So to answer your question, yes I have the exact same problems as you.

7. ryanwarsaw macrumors 68000

ryanwarsaw

I also have the same complaints and especially about GPS being broken now with 2.1

8. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

no problems here. But I am on a 1st gen iPhone running 2.1

9. golgo1313 macrumors regular

same here

:mad:
    safari crashes multiple times a day. keyboard lags. makes me think bad things... like how bb storm or google phone is like...

10. CocheseUGA macrumors member

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

safari crashes 4+ times a day for me. the most frustrating thing is it's no longer just on image heavy pages; I get crashes all the time just loading RSS feeds.

12. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

I feel like **** safari keeps crashing even crashed on the first attemp to write ****. can't believe it ? When installed 2.1 everything seemd ok. Crashes are presment on random sessions, appears that it crashes when finishing thepasing of a page.. slow keyboard that lags when you write with thetwo fingers at time.. Hell I can't pay for this for 2 yeara. I need is a navigator so I saw an opportunite on the device..,

How's safari going this week?

13. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Sorry to hear you guys are having problems. I continue to have good battery life, zero dropped calls, and no crashes in the 6 weeks that I've had my iPhone.

I'm not discounting the problems you are having. I just want some folks to know that not everyone is having problems with their iPhone.

14. alFR macrumors 68020

Same here: v1 phone on 2.1, one Safari crash since I installed 2.1 (never had it crash on MacRumors either), very occasional lag that is cured by a restart. Much better battery life since 2.1 as well, pretty much as good as with 1.1.4. Not sure why some people are having so many issues but others are having almost none.

15. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I am also very satisfied with my v1 running 2.1. I have had no asafari crashes and hardly any keyboard lag. I still get lag when opening SMS but other than that nothing that gets me enraged like 2.0.1 and .2 did.

Even saying that, I've been considering going back to 1.1.4 to have it even smoother.

16. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

I don't think they'res much lagg... only a little bit..

17. weeman macrumors 6502

Rockin the 1st gen 8gb and everything is smooth as butter over here...Looks like the problems are mainly with the 3G

18. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

My phone has been just fine with 2.1, BUT yesterday, I had to reboot my phone because Safari kept exiting for no reason. After the reboot, it was fine. I hadn't rebooted it for about a week, so it was kind of due for a reboot.

19. ebony macrumors regular

I have a 2g iphone and 2.1 is terrible. The lag was unbearable and I eventually upgraded back to 1.1.4.

I also have a 3g iphone and have the same laggy issues with most apps, and have random crashes specifically when in safari.

Just to make sure I wasn't imagining things, I wiped my 2g iphone and reinstalled 1.1.4 and took it to an apple shop. I did a side by side comparison with 8 3g iphones that had 2.1 on them, and my phone was faster on all apps; by faster I mean time to launch and respond.

I'm happy with 1.1.4, but I do think its strange some people are getting normal performance with 2.1 and others suffer.

20. Masquerade macrumors 6502a

Masquerade

It's interesting _ there are some discrepancies between users. Some argue that they have a 2g phone and they are very satisfy others tell me the oposite. The same for 3g. I don't know either of many of them write posts in the forum with their iPhone.. This can be as smooth or a pain. Since iPhone is close to a closed binary machine And 2g/3g hardware it's the Same except the modem and added gps I think that the safari crashes and laggy scenarios should be the same. y

21. raymanster macrumors regular

raymanster

I used to think it was possibly a website I was on that was causing Safari to crash on my 3G iPhone. I thought maybe they weren't really designed to display properly on the iPhone. This week I was proved wrong when I was surfing the Apple site and Safari crashed, again. :rolleyes:

Still overall 2.1 works better for me then previous 2.x releases. Nevertheless still miss the days I had my 1st gen iphone running so smoothly on 1.1.4.

22. THE JUICEMAN macrumors 68000

THE JUICEMAN

+1 for the lag and buggy jerky UI. i always think its just maybe my phone because i have a lot of apps....i guess not

23. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Same here on my 3G, when I had 2.0.2 previously the phone was laggy, safari would crash, and a whole host of other problems. As soon as I updated the phone to 2.1, it cleared everything up... now weeks later the phone is back to being laggy and safari crashes for no reason (pretty often). :confused:

24. Nickb thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all your replys - it seems to me that there is a common problem across the board here, plus a few extras to top it off - i too have had the caller ID stick on screen and it takes a few sleeping the phone to get rid of it.

Whats more strange is that everyone reports the same as me with regards to 2.1 being snappy at first, then slowly deteriorating as the days/weeks go on. This is confusing as surely software shouldnt change, especially when rebooting regularly.

I really think its important that apple address these issues as they have been going on for some time now, and considering they thought they had fixed it in the last update, says to me that they are stuck, and dont know how to get the speed of 1.1.4.

I realise this is all speculation, and that our chating about it will never get back to the developers at apple - so id love to find a way to really get the message across to them -

hm its a thinker -

25. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Ditto