2.1's Placebo Effect is Wearing Off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TheSpaz, Sep 14, 2008.

1. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

At first I really loved how fast and responsive my iPhone was being after the big 2.1 update, but after a few days of using it... It seems like it's lagging again. What is the deal? Is it from running the iPod app? When I restart, everything is speedy again, but I don't wanna be restarting all the time.

2. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Everything's still smooth sailing for me. Don't think I got a sugar pill so far.

3. duelingdragons macrumors 65816

Word.

4. Ntombi macrumors 68040

Ntombi

5. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Very pleased owner here. I even have Cydia/Winterboard/Theme and its still SNAPPIER :)

6. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

7. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3G (16GB, 2.1 PWNed): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

Me too. Still going strong, this is a VAST improvement over 2.0.X ...

8. Hudzilla macrumors 6502a

Hudzilla

9. iblastoff macrumors 6502

honestly i really havent noticed any difference between 2.0.x and 2.1 performance at all.

10. Reiger macrumors regular

Hear! Hear!

11. Malcster macrumors 6502

Working good here.

My only complaint is getting Mail app to check my mail seems a bit of a lottery, it regularly gets stuck at 'Connecting...' even with full signal...

12. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Not too happy here. Did you try a restore? I haven't. Was thinking of trying that tonight. Overall, i feel my phone is slower than before. When i open settings or iPod (music), it's very slow to open.

OMG. I was just trying to go through my email and it crashed. Seriously??? For me, 2.1 is 10 times worse than 2.0.2.

13. phannon666 macrumors regular

Sounds a lot like a memory leak to me. The reason it will be fast after a restart is whatever is hogging resources is (obviously) forced to release them when the phone isn't on :) So when you turn it back on, usage will build and build and everything will slow down until you restart again.

14. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I just did a reset on my phone and for the moment it's better. I'm at work now and have 3G service in here. Never had it before. It actually works too! At least something is good with 2.1 for me.:eek:

15. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Wore off about 5 minutes after the install for me since it still doesn't allow a working BT connection to my car:( which 1.1.3 and 1.1.4 did. Apple themselves seem not to mention that "Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR" actually means "severely crippled and restricted Bluetooth stack" in :apple:speak

For me the iPhone is a nice looking fun phone with a great interface and a fab web browser - and that's the only reason I keep my O2 SIM card in it most of the time.

For use as a proper business tool - as per Apple's PR - it's a bit of a pig in a poke: still no Office editing, cut'n'paste, multiple message marking, attachments or decent BT stack &etc. All of which I can easily get from SmackBerrys or WM6:(.

C'mon Apple - get on with it.

16. MLO macrumors member

so far

For me the update was nothing special.

Battery life is horrible

3G is horrible ( l live about 20 minutes north of Boston)

It took for ever to update

Same old same old for me.

17. TheSpaz thread starter macrumors 604

TheSpaz

I never did a restore. Should I try that? Will it make a difference?

18. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Someone just told me to do a restore because his phone is solid as a rock. I'm going to restore mine tonight.

19. pj rage macrumors 6502

The number of bars 3G shows for me is greatly improved. Went from 1-2 to 4-5 almost everywhere. I always had really fast speed even with 1 bar though, so I'm guessing they just remapped how the bars relate to the signal, which really is just a placebo, but I underestimated how good such a placebo would make me feel. It feels awesome having lots of bars everywhere, even if my signal truly isn't much different in reality.

Too early for me to tell anything else. It doesn't feel any "snappier" to me than previous versions. 2.0.1 felt much snappier to me than 2.0, and I didn't notice much different from 2.0.1 to 2.0.2, and now again not much difference from 2.0.2 to 2.1.

I do like how fast apps install now. At least 5 times faster.

20. ginguar macrumors regular

I originally did an upgrade as I was at work and my backup was at home, the upgrade made my phone slower and couldn't find 3G much and normally it has it everywhere i go, once home i did a restore and it's been fine since only thing that might be an issue as it doesn't seem to be fetching my mail properly but just reboot the phone and i'll see if that fixes it.

21. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

perhaps your iPhone is clogged with crap ;)

I did a restore when upgrading to 2.1 (because I had to due to using an unlocked phone) and I have had absolutely no problems. It might be worth a try.

22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Mine was actually running well b4 the update but is even better since the update was release. Much faster and more responsive, especially with typing.

23. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

No Placebo here! :D It's definitely a lot better. Backups that used to take 20-30 minutes, now take 2-3.
    3G reception where I live, is now how it should be, Safari has been flawless for me, no keyboard lag in SMS, Safari or any other apps now. haven't noticed an increase in battery life though, so I guess any gains there were minimal, if any.

It's obvious to say, that 2.1, is what 2.0 was intended to be.