2.2 MacBook + 64GB Solid State HD =

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by island, Nov 13, 2007.

1. island macrumors 6502

island

Well I finally had the time to install my SSD drive in my MacBook and it's smoking fast.

One thing I ran into was that I was unable to use the Retail Leopard disc to install the OS, kept telling me the system was not supported which was very weird as the partition and file system type were setup correctly. What I did was hook the MB in target disk mode and hooked it up to my iMac and then installed Leopard on it as if it was the iMac drive which worked perfectly!

If there is any tests any of you would like me to run just let me know. :D

Attached Files:

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Wow! Let us know of any impressions you may have!

How much did the SSD set you back? I have no idea what the market is for them these days.

3. island thread starter macrumors 6502

island

The drive itself was about 1k; ordered it with a M1330 from Dell for the sole purpose of taking it out. Since I am a Dell tech, I got a few digits changed on my final cost so it was worth it in the end.

4. amrk47 macrumors regular

how would you compare the 1330 with the MB?
    to me the 1330 is a much nicer machine

5. island thread starter macrumors 6502

island

If I could have the M1330 running OS X, that would be the better machine (except for the keyboard). On the other hand since it doesn't run OS X, it's garbage and I wouldn't waist my money on it unless you have to run a Microsoft OS.

6. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Probably why you had some difficulties.

Also, friggin' sweet!

7. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

So will you be one of the first ones to buy a ultra-portable Mac laptop?

I think the M1330 is pretty sweet, but won't buy one since it doesn't run OS X and the resolution is tooo low.

8. dantherevelator macrumors regular

Damn, that is hot. How long does it take to boot?

9. island thread starter macrumors 6502

island

I can't wait for an ultra-portable, this MacBook will be the funding for it!

As for boot time, it's around 20 seconds from what I can see. Apps load fast as can be with Safari opening with 1/4th a bounce!

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

That's a quality installation. At 2.2Ghz, Santa Rosa 64-bit, 4GB RAM and a 64GB SSD drive that is one smart BlackBook.

Nice. :)

11. schreck macrumors regular

Wow, that's awesome. I was just talking about how amazing it'll be once these are standard.

I'm excited to hear your input on how you feel about it once you've got more use with it within the Mac.

12. raymate macrumors newbie

Cool, do you have any xbench figure for before and after?

13. Rafagas macrumors newbie

Any comments about the time to drain the battery ?

14. TheStu macrumors 65816

And the MacBook is just right? They have the same res you know. And I don't know of any 13.3" LCDs out there that support any higher than 1280*800

15. island thread starter macrumors 6502

island

I will run an Xbench tonight and see how it goes.

We just have to hope to find someone with a 2.2 and 4GB of RAM to run an Xbench to compare the results.

As for battery life, at least 30 minutes improvement that I can see with working with files. Wireless and LCD brightness will still drain it depending on settings.

Here is some more info on it... www. samsungssd .com

16. Woutje macrumors member

I'm also very interested in those new SSD's from Samsung!
    Since you did a fresh install it's pretty obvious that the system is fast. What I'm interested in...is how it performs on a system that has been used for 1-2 years without a format. Since the SSD has almost no seek time (in theory), I suppose it would be as fast as the first day you got the mac. Is there any way to put an image on that disk of a "polluted" system?

(I'm asking a lot...I know)

17. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I'm actually using a MacBook Pro 17" with 1680x1050 and an iMac 24" 1920x1200, so you are right, the MacBook isn't just right either. That's one of the reasons I didn't buy one. I may buy a Mac ultra-portable, but will have to see the specs. With how thin it's claiming to be, I wouldn't be surprised it drops the optical drive, has SSD, and comes with integrated graphics, but who knows?

18. ///alpinepower macrumors member

19. island thread starter macrumors 6502

island

I will do some official tests later on due to a problem that popped up with Sleeping. If I have it on the default sleep settings which writes to the drive before it sleeps the whole system locks up when you wake it. If I have it set to classic sleep mode which saves to RAM and not the drive, it does the same thing.

The problem follows the drive even with a original Core Duo MacBook and even with different RAM.

I am installing OS X on a second SSD I got just incase the first was bad and I will report if it's something with the Mac to SSD compatibility or something else....

*UPDATE*: Both drives are showing the same issue so it looks like Mac sleep doesn't work well with Solid State drives. Unless I find a solution, off to eBay they go!

20. Freyqq macrumors 68040

well..if the rumors are true and the slim mbp is coming and is based on SSD..then they'll have to support it by January.

21. typerlover macrumors regular

Or the rumors are false and Apple will not adopt them.

22. davelees1 macrumors newbie

Connecting??

Very cool! Two questions??

Were did you get the Samsung SSD from? and...

What did you use to connect the two together. I have a new to black MacBook and would like to do the same. Thanks.

(Sorry, I'm new to Mac's.)

23. island thread starter macrumors 6502

island

You can't buy them unless you buy them in a new laptop (such as M1330) or if you know someone inside somewhere.

Now for the UPDATE ON FREEZING: I noticed the problem I have is not just with me but with a lot of other people on the forums. Also, my buddy with a G5 Tower is having the same issues and it seems to be with the WiFi and Leopard with sleep. I will test out the SSD again tonight with the MacBook with WiFi off and see how that goes...

OK! Problem is linked with my Airport Extreme if you can believe it! I tried sleeping connected to a neighbors wifi and it wakes up fine. I will be starting a new thread about the wifi issue in a few. Otherwise, benchmark for this weekend on the battery and benchmarks.

24. TheStu macrumors 65816

You can get the drives from Newegg... not sure if they have Samsung, but they do have SSDs there.

You need a Firewire 6-6 cable to connect the 2 macs.

25. Woutje macrumors member

The SSD's on Newegg are not the new and fast SSD drives, I think.
    They show the number: MCBOE32G8APR-0XA00

While the new one's are: MCBOE64G8MPR-03A