Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Woutje

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2005
Another relevant question...

Which filesystem would be best suited for the new SSD's?
I guess file fragmentation is no longer in issue...right?

Most FS are made to deal with fragmentation...so my guess is some kind of new FS should make it's entrance...and maybe have even more performance, since it doesn't have the internal workings of trying to keep the disk from fragmenting...

paul.b.davis

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Over the hills and far away...
quick question, semi-related

I have a MBP and I was thinking about getting a 16 GB SSD card for the expresscard slot

Would I be able to install Leopard on that and boot from it?

I would just put Leopard, and a few apps that I use a lot on there

thoughts on this?

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
I think that is it is a bit of overkill putting a 64 SSD drive in a MB. I would not think that though if somebody was going to put a SSD drive in their MBP.

kaiwai

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2007
Christchurch
well..if the rumors are true and the slim mbp is coming and is based on SSD..then they'll have to support it by January.

I doubt Apple are stupid enough to adopt SSD which is riddled with problems in regards to reliability, the how long they can reliably used for, the writing limitations, the speed issues when writing etc.

Roba

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2006
32GB Samsung SSD drives consume less energy than the 64 SSD Samsung drives do. You are looking at about a 10% increase in battery life with the 64 SSD drive in normal use.
At load the 64 SSD Samsung drive is rated at 1.9 watts. At idle it is the same as standard 5400 HD's. Some 5400 HD's watts are rated between 2.4-3.3 at load. On battery power with power saving measures the CPU can downclock anyway. 7200rpm consume a bit more energy than 5400 HD's.

A hybrid HD would give you about a 3%-5% increase in battery life.

There are other advantages that the SSD offer other than a slight increase in battery life that may make the purchase worthwhile for a professional. Getting it for the battery life gains alone I would not think that it would be a worthwhile purchase.
battery life.

island

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
Nashville
Ended up selling both drives on eBay for a total of 2,000 bucks. For some reason 3 MacBooks tested (1 Core Duo, 2 others newest SR models) all froze when waking from sleep with either SSD drive. I didn't test with Tiger, just Leopard (10.5 and 10.5.1) with the same results. The funny thing is it only happens when WiFi is enabled, can't put my finger on it.

I heard a guy at Engadget did it with his MacBook Pro but he never replied to my e-mails asking if he was having sleep/wake problems.

I plan on waiting until Macworld then decide on what to do from there. Might just pick up a MBP and try another drive with that...

rezenclowd3

macrumors 65816
With my SR MBP 2.4Ghz, 10.5.1, when it loses the wireless network connection, it usually kernal panics. It may not be the SSD drives...

After the 10.5.1 update, it was better...for about 1 month. In many ways I like Tiger better, but I have to have Tiger, Leopard and Win XP installed...:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.