2 3GS questions..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iKidWare, Oct 11, 2011.

1. iKidWare macrumors member

1st, I ordered iphone4s through apple, will they ship it with the new sim card or do I need to contact AT&T.
    2nd, if a family member wants to use my old 3GS but don't have data, could they still use it without getting charged for data, just to use wifi at home and cell service on road? Thanks

2. swerle macrumors newbie

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It's shipped with a new SIM already installed.

The 3GS has to be activated with a data plan. I seem to recall reading of some cases where AT&T would remove a data plan, but I tend to doubt this would still be possible (if it indeed did happen at all).

4. iKidWare thread starter macrumors member

If you put a non data sim card in your iPhone it gives you the AT&T but doesn't give you the "3G". Question is can it roll like that forever...or does AT&T recognize it's an iPhone and automatically dock u with a data plan?

5. Justim macrumors 6502

Not if it's not activated. Just pop a sim card in there. Ask AT&T for a data block. It's true they can tell you're using an iPhone, but since there was no contract signed for an iPhone on that line, a data plan isn't required.

They do recognize, but they don't automatically add a data plan. I'm pretty sure that would be illegal.

6. iKidWare thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!