Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
A tier 2 wants to replace my late 2008 2.4 15inch umbp for the mid 2009 2.66 15inch umbp. He says that it will not be refurbished, however, it will be newly built from the replacement center. I asked him if it would not be refurbished and he said it wouldn't be refurbished at all. What's weird is that he doesn't want me to send in the box that came with my umbp. What do you guys think? Has anyone here have gotten a replacement with a newly built machine, than a replacement from the apple store? I'm also thinking of adding a new applecare warranty on the replaced machine. What do you guys think?

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Yes, I got one one Friday. A brand new Unibody 15" 2.66 with the anti-glare display (CTO, so I had to pay the $50) to replace my old 15" 2.4 that kept having repeated issues.
It was a brand new machine which, ironically enough, had a minor display issue that they are sending me another brand new one to replace that one.

I am very impressed with Apple's service here.

I say go for it.

lozanoj83

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2006
Southern California
As others have stated, it'll be a brand new machine, in a new box... basically how you would buy it from the Apple store.

I just got my 2.4 GHz unibody replaced for a 2.8

macfrik

Contributor
Mar 21, 2009
Utah
A tier 2 wants to replace my late 2008 2.4 15inch umbp for the mid 2009 2.66 15inch umbp. He says that it will not be refurbished, however, it will be newly built from the replacement center. I asked him if it would not be refurbished and he said it wouldn't be refurbished at all. What's weird is that he doesn't want me to send in the box that came with my umbp. What do you guys think? Has anyone here have gotten a replacement with a newly built machine, than a replacement from the apple store? I'm also thinking of adding a new applecare warranty on the replaced machine. What do you guys think?

Just curious, what happened with your original uMBP that makes Apple replaced it with a newer machine?

I'd say go for it. Yeah! It is a brand new, because its a replacement machine, it may not come with the original box and accessories, just the computer.

movieator

macrumors 65816
Sep 17, 2009
LA, CA
Again, it will be brand new. Mine was CTO, shipped in the box and all.
It was like I just ordered it online.

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
Again, it will be brand new. Mine was CTO, shipped in the box and all.
It was like I just ordered it online.

Yeah but he said it will not come in the retail box. What im also wondering is if it will come with a snow leopard dvd install. Why cant they just send me the new notebook in its retail box? If the tier 2 guy told me it is going to be a new machine? What's funny is the way he said it - "newly built" Like, really, are they going to build me a new machine? Or take out the unit from it's retail box?

Mexbearpig

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Here
You should call and ask what that means. Can't hurt ;)
And you dont want to get dooped or something.

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
You should call and ask what that means. Can't hurt ;)
And you dont want to get dooped or something.

lol Trust me I don't. I just wanted to see anyone's experiences with replaced units from their depot. I guess he probably meant to say that my unit will be replaced directly from their departments with a new machine, instead of being replaced in an apple store. What I don't get is why can't they just send me the new unit in its retail box:confused:. I have no problem sending my umbp with its original box. Well.. I guess its not a big deal, right?

Another problem is that the tier 2 told me that they are only sending the shipping label. I forgot to ask him what type of box I should use to send my umbp back. What I do know is that I have an empty mail in repair box from apple. Can I use that box to send my uni? (with the new label of course).

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2008
As others have stated, it'll be a brand new machine, in a new box... basically how you would buy it from the Apple store.

I just got my 2.4 GHz unibody replaced for a 2.8

How did you get them to give you a 2.8 for your 2.4?

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
I'm also concerned about the OS version. I assume that when I get the 2.66 mdoel, it will have snow leopard preinstalled already. But since my 2.4 came with the regular leopard, will they send my new uni with a snow leopard dvd installer? Or does that mean I may still have to buy my own copy? Since I'm not getting the umbp with its retail box..

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I'm also concerned about the OS version. I assume that when I get the 2.66 mdoel, it will have snow leopard preinstalled already. But since my 2.4 came with the regular leopard, will they send my new uni with a snow leopard dvd installer? Or does that mean I may still have to buy my own copy? Since I'm not getting the umbp with its retail box..

how about you view it as getting a new os and an upgraded computer for 30 bucks if you are forced to buy the os....:cool:

even if they charge you for SL, id do it in a second

id hardly say 30 bucks is a concern...like half a tank of gas

djvic87

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2009
how about you view it as getting a new os and an upgraded computer for 30 bucks if you are forced to buy the os....:cool:

even if they charge you for SL, id do it in a second

id hardly say 30 bucks is a concern...like half a tank of gas

True.. It's going to feel kind of weird when I get my new uni, while having my old 2.4 uni box.. I hope I don't have any consequences down the road. Far to say, I will add a new applecare on the replaced unit.

tcphoto

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2005
Madison, GA
You need to relax and just accept the computer. You will receive a new MBP with the current OS and a one year warranty. It is a little strange that it may not come in the retail box but it is a replacement for a problematic machine and an upgrade from what you were working with. I have had problems with 4 out of 5 Apple machine and three of those were replaced. Just take the computer and use it. You are not going to be displaying the box on your mantel or framing the manuals.

LunaTrix

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2008
California
MBP replacement

Hello. I am new here. I am also getting a replacement (brand new). My MBP is almost two years old, but I have had issues with it on and off from the beginning. They've sent it in twice for repair, and each time, came back with different issues and now worse than before it was sent in the 2nd time. Apple is now finally replacing my MBP, which came as a surprise to me. I just wanted to know, and I know this is not my thread, how people feel about the newer models. I checked them out and the keyboards are obviously very different and of course the track-pad. I have an anti-glare, but love the look of the glossy. Okay, go easy on me since this is my first posting and it seems that people get a bit peeved it you might be posting in the wrong category. Thanks!

Tweak3D

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
How did you get them to give you a 2.8 for your 2.4?

I also got a 2.8 form a 2.4 replacement. Its because 2.4 had more L2 cache than the 2.66. They say they will never downgrade you so that is true, it is a downgrade. Also if you want to upgrade yourself, you can pay the difference to go to what ever you want. look at the stock 2.66 prices online and you pay the difference. Just a friendly FYI =).

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Your replacement will come with Snow Leopard installed, and all the discs that you'd get with a new Mac.

dan5.5

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2008
I also got a 2.8 form a 2.4 replacement. Its because 2.4 had more L2 cache than the 2.66. They say they will never downgrade you so that is true, it is a downgrade. Also if you want to upgrade yourself, you can pay the difference to go to what ever you want. look at the stock 2.66 prices online and you pay the difference. Just a friendly FYI =).

I thought the the 2.4 (p8600) has 3mb of l2 and the 2.66 (p8800) has 3mb of l2. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Tweak3D

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
don't remember the model, I was just looking, but my 2.4 had 4 as did my friends who just had his replaced. I had the 2.4 non-unibody with the 256mb 8600 and I got a brand new 2.8 15' that I paid to upgrade to a 17.
EDIT: Mine had the T7700 which has 4mb and so did every macbook pro until the unibodies were introduced. so if you have a non-unibody 2.4 you can make this claim, but since he does not thats not really helpful, did you have anything else upgraded or was it a stock build?

cfitz7111

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2008
Take the offer. A new machine with a new warranty, and you are worried about not having the right box? I havent seen the box my machine came in in about 9 months.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.