2.4 Macbook to 2.26 13" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skidmcmarx, Nov 8, 2009.

1. skidmcmarx macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

Just looking for some quick opinions. I currently have a 2008 white macbook. Its the 2.4ghz model with the intel 3100 integrated graphics.

I can sell it at the min for €600(around $890) and get the new 13" MBP 2.26ghz for around €720($1080). Any one think it is worth my while to get the upgrade or should i just stick with what i have.

I use my current laptop for college work(essays, reports, general writing asignments), photo management in iphoto(nothing crazy), editing the odd family video in imovie, Insane amounts of internet usage, and alot of general procrastination(i wouldnt mind running a few games thru boot camp, not a big factor tho)

I'd love some ppls opinions

2. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

In my opinion, there's not much point. Graphics capability would be slightly better but overall it'll feel pretty much the same in terms of what you do. Maybe wait for the next revision if you're really itching for an upgrade.

3. boston44 macrumors 6502

I would wait for the next MBP...your macbook seems fine right now.

4. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

I totally agree, You won't see much of a performance boost now, but I think the next revision is supposed to be major; wait until then.

5. djarsalan2006 macrumors regular

i did the same thing, i had a white 2.4 from last year 2008, then i sold it and i got the new 2.24 mbp, besides the looks there is no difference, everything works the same

6. reallynotnick macrumors 6502a

I mean you won't get a huge improvement but you will get better battery life, a lighter and thiner machine, way better graphics thanks to the 9400m, a nicer aluminum body, better screen, plus an SD card reader and FW 800 instead of 400.
    Hard to say if it is worth the price, might want to wait another revision at least.

7. Full of Win macrumors 68030

Full of Win

I have the same MacBook revision. Shocking how modern it has remained relative to CPU speeds.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Well, if you can swallow those €120, then I say go for it. I mean, the 9400M GT will help alot in games and general graphics area stuff. Also, the faster FSB and RAM speeds are going to make up for the couple of MHz loss.

Now, is it worth it? Not much, its more college stuff you do (Internet, papers). However, like I said, if you don't mind those €120, you'll be getting a great machine.

Also, waiting on next Revision is a no-no. New white ones just came out. Next Revision at earliest would be late February.

9. exsanguinate macrumors member

I did the exact same thing (same spec MacBook to same spec MBP). I'm very glad I did. The backlit keyboard, MUCH better screen (though I did get lucky in the screen lottery) and general feel of the design makes it a nicer machine to use even though the spec is comparable. It seems faster because the 9400m graphics chip does a much better job of keeping the UI smooth.

You also won't have to worry about your MacBook cracking or falling to bits anymore. I also really like that it is lighter!

The MBP is also slightly more future proof because it can handle 8gb of RAM.

10. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

you get:

the new design
    the new longer battery
    sd slot
    lit keyboard
    fw800
    ddr3 ram with a faster FSB
    and probably a better screen
    9400m (much better than the intel solution, if you use it)

to me, thats probably worth it. I would probably upgrade for the battery, design, and fw800 alone.

11. dan5.5 macrumors 6502

12. cfitz7111 macrumors 6502

i would wait and see what January brings, and then go from there

13. skidmcmarx thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies everyone.

My main problem lies in the fact that, the only reason i can afford to upgrade is because i'll be buyin it in the U.S. I'm from ireland and am only gonna be in the U.S for 10 days.

I cant hold out for the new upgrades in January.

If i was to upgrade at home it would cost me almost €350 for the same upgrade.

14. neteng101 macrumors 65816

I would say that your biggest upgrade is in the graphics arena - much better screen, much better integrated GPU performance... and of course the longer battery and unibody shell. If that's what you want given the circumstances, its not a bad upgrade.

I hated the viewing angles on the old whitebooks and original 13" aluminium Macbooks.

15. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

Then by all means, go for it if you have the $$. It's not much of an upgrade, but as previous posters said, you get a much better screen, battery, GPU, build, trackpad (in my opinion), and an SD slot. Also, the backlit keyboard is beautiful. In the end, it's up to you. Good luck :).