2.4 MB For Dj'ing....

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by WarriorTi22, Apr 9, 2009.

1. WarriorTi22 Guest

Hello all,

I am planning on buying a laptop for my graduation at the end of this school year, and I am having a problem deciding on which one to get. (Yes I HAVE searched the other threads about MB v. MBP, but none really relate to my situation...) I am going to be using this laptop for both school, and DJ'ing. I am planning on running a program called Serato ITCH, with either the Numark NS7 controller or the Vestax VCI-300. This is what the site says:

Keep in mind I dont know a TON about computers, but I was going to upgrade the MB to 4 gigs of ram, and the largest hard drive (320 I think?). Also, it is important that this system VERY RARELY or NEVER crashes, becuase this will be playing music to hundreds of people. What do you guys think?

Thanks ;)

2. Freyqq macrumors 68040

according to those system requirements, it should run fine..even stock. But, the largest reason computers crash in DJ situations is heat. I'd recommend buying a cooling pad to make sure that it doesn't overheat...they cost about $30 and you can buy them anywhere.

example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834998928

3. nyry30 macrumors newbie

You should be fine with either 2.4ghz MB/MBP with 4gb Ram and 320gb HD, regarding crashes they both run fast and smooth for what you are trying to do. The reason for the MBP I would say is screen size, you can see more regarding what you are mixing. I DJ with my Blackbook and it's suffice for me. I have friends who DJ with the last gen 15''/17'' MBP 's and regular Whitebooks and the real benefit my friend has with his MBP is his screen size.

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Dj'ing, yes, the specs even in the White MacBook are enough for what you need (minus the hard drive as you need the biggest available). However, your worst enemy is heat.

DJs are known to play anywhere and everywhere they are given and those places may or may not have AC or a fan to cool you down. Remember heat is the first thing related to a Mac crashing. Having said that, plastic is not a very good thing when it comes to heat as it doesn't release it fast enough.

Now, that means it would be a good idea to upgrade to the low-end Aluminum MacBook. Now, that is no guarantee your Mac won't over heat and thus crash. So like a previous poster said, you might want to buy a cooling pad.

Other than that, enjoy.

5. kierennyc macrumors regular

I play out regularly using serato scratch live and I use the 2.4ghz unibody mac with 4GB ram and the stock 5200rpm drive. No problems at all.

I also wouldnt be too concerned by the heat issue which a few people have mentioned. Ive played 4 hour sets in hot clubs WITH a moshi clear guard and a Speck satin case on my laptop (things which supposedly make your mac run even hotter) and my mac hasnt crashed once.

6. nick9191 macrumors 68040

The baseline white Macbook would be plenty powerful for you. You can upgrade the hard drive yourself or let Apple do it.

You also get the advantage of a Firewire port. I know your equipment is USB2, but its handy to have if you ever come across a firewire only device (which is likely if your in the music profession).

If you really want the aluminium Macbook, just go for the 2.0ghz $1299 model, there is no need for the top end model. If you go for the top end model then you may as well spend the extra $400 and get the pro, but thats just my opinion.

As for the RAM, unless your running any heavy apps that can make use of it, it wont make any speed difference. It doesn't work like a car, put your foot down and the car goes faster, the extra RAM only comes into play when it is needed. I know nothing about ITCH, but judging by the requirements list I'm guessing it's not too heavy.