2.4 vs. 2.5 Penryn

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nickarate, Mar 19, 2008.

1. nickarate macrumors regular

Hi guys! I'm heading off to college in the coming months and I am looking for a new computer to last me the 4 years. I am just coming off one of the worst computers I have ever used, my Sony Vaio (severe hardware problems made it just stop working)... and I just decided I was sick of Windows, so I'm going to buy my first mac!

I plan on using the computer for school work and some lite gaming. From my understanding, the 2.4 mbp has slightly lower L2 cache (I have no idea what this means) and less video ram in addition to .1 ghz slower processor as compared to the 2.5 mbp. I think I can come up with the money for the more expensive model, but was wondeing whether you guys think I will actually feel the difference between the 2.4 and the 2.5 and whether it will last the 4 years without becoming too obsolete?

I've been reading these posts for a while and have seen just how helpful of a community mac users can me, so I want to thank you in advance for your help.

2. JuJu macrumors newbie

I don't think you would notice the difference for what you are doing at all. I personally went for the low end model and I love it. Save $500 and buy something else. Welcome to the Mac world!!

3. macgroovy macrumors member

Go for the 2.4Ghz (better value in my opinion). Then you can use the money saved to max out the ram.

4. jus407 macrumors member

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

2.4 should do you fine. Now that they've upgraded the VRAM on the lower model to 256, you'll face no limitations with that video card.

6. nickarate thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys! You've reinforced what I was thinking. After I finish this post, I think I'm gonna sign off my sister's 7 year old windows (that I've been using in place of my dead vaio) and head over to pick one up.

7. macgroovy macrumors member

I have no idea what the L2 cache does either but in terms of performance between the two models check out Macworld's benchmarks:

http://www.macworld.com/article/132330/2008/03/macbookpro_bench.html

8. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

L2 cache is a memory located on the processor die rather than the external DRAM. It stores data commonly used from the DRAM in a redundant manner to lower the time it takes to get to that data should it be needed again.

9. Cubs macrumors newbie

I'm in the exact same boat as you. I'm holding off until it gets closer to when I'm actually starting college in hopes for a new redesign. Who knows, maybe the low end MBP will be 2.5 while the higher end will be 2.6-2.8???

I have no clue, but I'm still waiting just in case.

10. ctishue macrumors member

In reference to that Macworld article, I don't understand why Unreal Tournament 2004 is testing 7fps slower on the 17" than the 15" when they are exactly the same and Macworld claims they ran all the UT2004 tests at 1024x768. Weird...

11. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Long time reader, first time poster. :D

I'm on the fence right now between the 2.4 and the 2.5 MBP as well.

I believe my computer demands are a little more demanding than the first poster. I do graphic/web design on the side. I mainly use Illustrator, Photoshop and Dreamweaver.

I could swing the 2.5 $ wise, but I wondering if I would be better off getting the 7200 hard drive in the 2.4 and saving the money.

Thank you in advance for your responses...

Rick

12. jus407 macrumors member

I have the 2.4 7200 HD and love it... i dont know really performance wise how well it is but i like it

13. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Anyone else with some thoughts on this matter?

After reading through a bunch of the threads, I'm convinced I should go with the 7200 HD.

But, I'm not sure which processor to go with 2.4 or 2.5.

Photoshop, Flash, Dreamweaver and Illustrator are the programs I use...

Thanks.:cool:

14. heatmiser macrumors 68020

If you're going new, go with the baseline model. The performance difference isn't worth the price hike.

15. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

If you have the money for the 2.5 then go for it, itll just be a little extra power to handle more intensive programs that come out in the future. Whatever you buy will be obsolete in terms of what else is out there, but it doesnt mean that its going to run slower than the day you bought it. The 8 Core MacPro thats out today will look like a kids machine compared to the MacPro thats out in 4 years, thats just how technology works.

16. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I say always get the best you can afford... even if its not good value to get the extra .1 Ghz if you can afford it, its still .1 Ghz better :)

Same goes for hard disk.

17. valiechemicalie macrumors member

I had the same problem
    Also student...

I am going to order my mbp tomorrow 15" 2.4
    the extra .1Ghz is noghting the current base line model with the 7200 rpm is better then the top of the line mbp of last revision. basicaly it means that in half a year the .1 ghz wont matter at all

18. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

Some good info here - thank you.

Does anyone know if the 2.4 w/ 7200 HD is stocked at the Apple stores?

I would most likely be going to the one in Fashion Island or South Coast Plaza in So Cal.

Thanks!

19. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No. They only stock the base configurations on the website at the store. They also stock the all out configured option.

20. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This is not something that you can always rely on, certain stores will have the maxed out options, but scarcely compared to other models and these models are not reordered as quickly as others.

21. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Well I would call in advance to check first.

22. xrxsxbx macrumors newbie

Having the same question

Right now im planning to get a penryn based Macbook pro, but i just dont know wich one to choose, so you guys recommend the 2.4 right?

Im planning to use it to:
    Edit Video and Audio?

so any suggestion?

or i can go for the 2.4 with 7,200 hdd and with the extra 500 get a 1TB time capsule.

23. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I personally think the 2.4 is adequate for most purposes. I'd get the 2.4 if it was available for the 17"

As with the Time Capsule... I'm pretty iffy about it; didn't like it too much; and the back up is so slowwwwww. zzzzz

24. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Go for the 2.4 if you're a sensible guy. It's bang for the buck and yeah the extra 500 is worth getting a time capsule, a nice sleeve to protect your MBP and definitely 4 GB RAM. I have the 2.4 and bumped it to 4 GB RAM and it is smokin' now. I would describe the 2.4 as a Porsche 911, the 2.5 as a Carrera and the 17" as a lambo.

If you have the tendency to always want the best..then get the 2.6 but be aware that it won't be the best for long. However I can say performance wise..the 2.4 has not let me down and I am happy in the fact that I have an extra 500 left for more Apple goodies like time capsule :p

I':rolleyes:

25. xrxsxbx macrumors newbie

Hey thanks dude i'll consider that :D

and how much did you pay for the extra 2 ram did you get 2x2gb sodimms? you install those by yourself right, and its reading the 4gb?

because a friend told me that he upgrade to 4 but only detects 3.