Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

relativist

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2009
Why flame? Your right of course, right now it will not matter 2.4/2.8 GHz. The reason it's suggested is to future-proof as much as possible. Usually the end of life of a computer is when it can not do the needed tasks in a time the user can accept. A ~17% faster CPU can make a difference in when that time comes. It's a guess, it could be months, or a year. So basically all you are buying is some time and slightly higher resale value. Another consideration is the GPU RAM, 512 Mb is much more room for CUDA type applications, and if it's true that SL and future software will use the GPU, getting more GPU ram is important for someone that wants to future-proof.

For my own computing needs, I do not want to future-proof, I want get a slightly better machine to tide me over till the 3 major updates that are coming this year CPU/GPU/OS materialize. Then at that time I will spend as much as reasonable to get a future-proof computer since I intend on keeping that one for a long time. It will probably be a 17" MBP with the fastest CPU and any other upgrades I can not do later picked.

......Curtis

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.