2.4 vs 2.53 Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CrazyScott, Jan 16, 2009.

1. CrazyScott macrumors member

CrazyScott

Hello,

I am about to make one of the biggest purchases and i am not not sure what model to get. I am stuck between 2.4 and 2.53. If I was going to get the 2.4 I would upgrade the RAM. Is the CPU and graphics worth the extra money.

Cheers,
    Scott

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What are your needs? Depending on your needs, we may advice you.

3. balinmar macrumors newbie

what will you need it for?? school?? work?? what kind of work? the 2.4 model is already a pretty powerful computer...i have one and it works wonders...im a graphic designer and I do video editing on it.

4. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

.13 is quite a small marginal difference, you probably wouldnt even be able to tell the difference unless u had a program actually telling you the numbers

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

its that .13 difference and the +3MB L2 cache, and extra cache that does make a difference.

6. dr. shdw macrumors 6502a

Why do I get the feeling this has been asked a billion times before? OP use the search..

7. CrazyScott thread starter macrumors member

CrazyScott

I will be using it for school i am a computer science major.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A MacBook is fine then (more portable, same power of 2.4GHz MBP model, minus 9600GT). A MacBook Pro would be overkill, unless you plan to game heavily or do video editing or are a demanding user.

If you still want the MBP, then the 2.4GHz model will do fine.

9. CrazyScott thread starter macrumors member

CrazyScott

Yea i just sold a macbook....I am a computer science major but i also do video editing and autocad and such stuff.

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Then the 2.4GHz model should be fine, unless you really do heavy video stuff, get the 2.53GHz model. That extra MHz and L2 cache help out.

11. CrazyScott thread starter macrumors member

CrazyScott

Yeah thats what i am thinking. I have the ADC discount and can get the 2.53 for 2159...

12. PacMookBro macrumors regular

My recommendation: Just get 2.4 15" base model, which I have. Higher spec does not make much difference in the long run. Laptops get outdated continuously so don't mind the speed difference. It's just a psychological feeling, ingrained by computer business, that higher number is better. Work efficiency does not always relate to the speed of computer even though you get work done fast one time with fast computer, especially when you procrastinate, assuming that everyone can be lazy sometimes. How efficiently and cleverly you use computer matters significantly more than how fast computer runs. Computer is merely an accessory tool to get the work done. ;)

Get 15 inch model if you do not mind the size. Having several windows open simultaneously, especially when you are programming, in 13" MacBook is a pain in the ass. Get 17 inch if you want more desktop space and don't mind the higher price and size/weight. Get higher spec 15" if the price difference is not much to you. Save money and buy AppleCare! :)

13. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

I disagree. In this instance there is more difference than just MHZ. You get additional ram and a faster bus that will make the additional cost worthwhile. It's never a good idea to buy the least amount of computer you can afford. Actually, it's the opposite in most cases. You always buy the fastest computer you can AFFORD because everything that you need to run on it (going forward) will often take more resources. Todays top of the line computer will run slower as the years go by. I have a laptop that I bought several years ago that I bragged to everyone how fast it was. Today, I can barely use it to surf the web! A fast computer will lengthen it's life cycle.

14. CrazyScott thread starter macrumors member

CrazyScott

I would have to agree. I think you convince me to get the 2.53. Thanks

15. Mr D macrumors 6502

Great quote there.

I always say go with the best.

16. CrazyScott thread starter macrumors member

CrazyScott

17. AR15MBP macrumors regular

Isn't the bus 1066 for both models?

18. CrazyScott thread starter macrumors member

CrazyScott

19. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

L2 cache comes handy when doing stuff that is not email, or internet. Games, graphic design, photoshop, etc all run faster and better with more L2 cache, memory, faster HDD.

20. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Like I said in a previous post of mine, large L2 cache and extra MHz mean something since you can upgrade HDD and RAM, but not the CPU in a laptop.

Also, in computers, you want to future proof yourself as much as possible (meaning the stuff you buy doesn't go outdated quicker than expected), specially if you are a student who needs a laptop to run for 4-5 years.

21. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

there we go

22. ceezy3000 macrumors 6502

ceezy3000

get the 2.4 ghz, there wont be much of a difference if any, also dont buy your RAM from apple major ripoff, oh no hold on, ddr3 sucks from other people, i

23. ajohnson253 macrumors 68000

ajohnson253

hey

with what you will be using it for, you wont see a difference.
    Save some money and go with the 2.4 itll be the same thing.
    I went from the 2.66 iMac to this 2.4ghz 15" macbook pro and havent realized anything different. I am glad I made my switch. ;)

24. relativist macrumors regular

I also suggest you go for the 2.4 for now, especially with the major updates coming (all three major components of todays computers, cpu, os, gpu). You might want to upgrade sooner than you expect.

If your serious about future proofing and getting a MacBook Pro now, I suggest you get the BTO 2.8 GHz, with no other upgrades since you can do them later. This would truly give you the best CPU you can get in a 15 MacBook Pro now and best GPU also. Getting the 2.53 GHz is only taking it part way.

......Curtis

25. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

How much more future proof is a 1.67 g4 powerbook over a 1.5? I respecfully suggest that the OP search macworld and a few other sites online that benchmark the differences between the two systems and other similar older machines.

Usually the benchmarks how the actual time difference in doing real world taks, such as doing blah, blah, blah in CS3, FCP, etc.

Let's say the 2.53 will do a critical function five seconds faster. Unless the OP is using the machine as a production unit, making his living with it, and using this function several times a day, the increase performance probably isn't worth the cost unless he has a pile of disposable income lying around.

Unless you're squeezing every processor cycle until the fan squeals to accomplish a critical task, the 2.4/2.53/2.8 debate is (IMHO) a geek penile measuring contest, similar to how many turbos/superchargers/etc gearheads can bolt onto their Mustangs/Camaros/Corvettes.

I have read so many botched can analogies on these boards that I am hesitant to make my own, but here goes: unless you're a professional race car driver/smuggler, it is irrelevant how big your V-8 is, or how many add ons you've got on your daily driver, unless you happen to have a spare pile of money.

There. I'll but on my absestos skivvies and wait for the rest of you to flame away. :D