2.4ghz or 2.6ghz 13inch?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DannyNguyener, Nov 26, 2010.

1. DannyNguyener macrumors regular

DannyNguyener

Is the extra 400 bucks for .26 difference in Ghz really worth it? Is the speed difference noticeable?

2. US Marine macrumors member

US Marine

It's not just a difference of 260 megahertz, it's also 70 gigs more storage. Nevertheless I would say, emphatically, no!

3. qawes macrumors regular

qawes

4. deeddawg macrumors 604

Agreed.

Thats a 10.8% difference in maximum CPU performance. Which you'll only see if you're hammering the CPU at 100% -- something few people do very much outside of large simulations, video editing, or other tasks that are primarily CPU dependent and not limited by other factors. Even then, 10% isn't a whole lot. Something that takes an hour of 100% CPU usage would finish in 56 minutes; saving you 4 minutes. If your usage is that CPU heavy you'd likely be better moving to a 15" MBP anyway.

In day to day typically "office" or web usage you'll never see the difference.

There are much better ways to spend that $400 price difference, such as doing your own HDD upgrade, perhaps to an SSD.

5. skiltrip macrumors 68030

Not worth it at all. You can do your own hard drive upgrade for a hundred bucks along with free cloning software like SuperDuper. The CPU bump is insignificant for most people. The price increase between those two models is silly in my opinion.

6. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

Buy 3rd party ram to get get 8GB and update the hard drive to a faster one is a much better way to spend $400 (or less) instead of a 105 bump in the CPU which you would only see in the most demanding tasks.

7. opera57 macrumors 6502

Nah not really worth it. Better off installing a larger hard drive + more ram yourself for cheaper if you need it.. or even an SSD! [​IMG]

8. chazco macrumors member

I went for the 2.66GHz 13-inch model. My reasons were:

• I knew that I would be running multiple virtual machines at once, often with each one doing a fair amount of processing. My local Apple store was kind enough to let me try this on a 2.4GHz machine and a 2.66GHz machine. The difference is noticeable.
    • I knew I'd use the extra storage space. An SSD would be no good for me at current prices.
    • I'd like the computer to last as long as possible. You can upgrade RAM and HDD later. You can't upgrade the CPU.
    • I'd be carrying the laptop around for most of the day, 5 days a week, for most of the year. That put me off the 15-inch model.

Hope that helps with your decision :)

9. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Personally, I feel the difference whenever I try out my cousins MBP or the models at the Apple Store (which are a 2.66ghz Core2Duo 13" inch)

I would pay for the difference though. I'd rather buy an iPad or something :p

10. miata macrumors 6502

+1 If you are considering the $400 difference, this is the most cost effective performance improvement today. If you can get away with less than 240 GB, you could even consider a 120 GB SSD for $200, 8 GB of RAM for $100 and still be ahead $100.

11. dizmonk macrumors regular

Same thought

I just bought the 13" 2.66GHz after thinking I was going to buy the 2.4 to save money.

My thinking was this...
    1) 15" too big and I don't want the decrease in battery (as compared to the 13")
    2) I will do a little video editing
    3) After academic discounts the and upgrading to a 500GB the $ difference was $270.
    4) Like the other poster... I plan on having this laptop for several years and I know the one thing you can't upgrade is processor speed.
    5) Half of the cost was an early Xmas present... :)

12. deeesea macrumors 6502

not worth it, I was thinking of doing a spec bump on my laptop from the 2.4 ghz to the 2.53 ghz ci5, but I didn't do it because I thought the money would be better spent on ripping out the Optical drive and dropping in a SSD.

Trust, if you're debating on this, use the money for a SSD instead, it'll blow your expectations out of the water :p

13. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Not worth it at all.
    Buy the base model and just upgrade to a 500Gb hard drive for $60 ... lots of money saved.
    And the CPU bump is insignificant unless you're taxing your CPU at 100% constantly.

14. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

for that money, add 8GB ram and a very fast SSD

15. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

not worth it. don't get it. that's targeted toward a different demographic. 1% of this demographic are power users who actually put it to use and the other 99% are fools who part with their money because they don't know jack sht