Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Motivated

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
First post, but I’ve been lurking for weeks. (I pre-ordered, then canceled my 17”MBP order).

I’m looking for benchmark tests and reviews comparing the 15” MBP with 2.4GHz processor vs. 2.53GHz. There are more differences than just the processor.

My goal is to buy a 15” MBP and the 24” LCD display for about the same price as the 17”MBP. I just don’t want to get 2 years down the road and wish I had spent the extra $500 on the faster machine, but $500 is a lot of money. My home machine is currently a G4 cube, 500MHz, so no matter what a new machine is going to be great, but I use very fast 64-bit workstations at work, so I doubt I’ll be blown away.

I plan on doing home video editing and maybe even bring some work home. I plan on doing dual-boot with windows XP.

Let’s say I get the 2.4GHz machine and want to make it faster – is it possible to spend $500 to make it as fast as or faster than a 2.53GHz machine? Such as a faster drive (7200rpm or SSD), more RAM or ??. These won’t speedup the processor, but may make up for it in other ways. Can the processor be overclocked?

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I don't think the difference in processor speed is worth it whatsoever. I don't even think it'd be worth a $200 price difference. Get the more expensive model if you really need more vRAM, but otherwise, it seems like a waste of money. I'd rather use that $500 towards my next machine years from now, or on something like RAM, a better/faster harddisk, etc.

I really wish there were more differences between the 2 machines, but right now I don't think I'd ever recommend the 2.53 GHz model to anyone. Either get the base 15" MBP, or buy the 17" MBP.

CitiXen

macrumors member
Feb 9, 2009
I don't think the difference in processor speed is worth it whatsoever. I don't even think it'd be worth a $200 price difference. Get the more expensive model if you really need more vRAM, but otherwise, it seems like a waste of money. I'd rather use that $500 towards my next machine years from now, or on something like RAM, a better/faster harddisk, etc.

I really wish there were more differences between the 2 machines, but right now I don't think I'd ever recommend the 2.53 GHz model to anyone. Either get the base 15" MBP, or buy the 17" MBP.

What about the gfx card? 256mb (2.4ghz) vs 512mb (2.53ghz)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
What about the gfx card? 256mb (2.4ghz) vs 512mb (2.53ghz)

I did mention that the vRAM doesn't make a difference.....not for me, anyway. It wouldn't matter a great deal even for gaming, because it's the technology of the video card itself that will be the biggest determinant of gaming capabilities.

I think if you're asking about it, and you are upgrading from a really slow system such as your 500 GHz G4 Cube, you don't need 512 MB of vRAM. You and your work survived on such a slow system for so long, so you're obviously not doing any crazy 3D modelling or something.

Besides, if you're really so concerned about 0.13 GHz, and 256 MB of VRAM on a 9600M video card, then perhaps you'd be better off buying a low end MBP now, selling it in 12 months, and spending that money, plus $500, on a brand new 2010 15" MBP. It will have Intel's upcoming processors, and you may have a far better video card and higher screen resolution, etc.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Besides, if you're really so concerned about 0.13 GHz, and 256 MB of VRAM on a 9600M video card, then perhaps you'd be better off buying a low end MBP now, selling it in 12 months, and spending that money, plus $500, on a brand new 2010 15" MBP. It will have Intel's upcoming processors, and you may have a far better video card and higher screen resolution, etc.

Yes, and then you can do exactly the same the next year and the next year and the next........

Whilst I agree that the Nehalem CPU's will be much faster, to think there wont be a faster one out then ext year is silly because the MB Pro is updated about every 6 months is it not?
I HAVE the 2.53, and IMO it is well worth the extra money as you get the 4GB ram and you get a CPU with double the cache which will make a difference in video work, how much of a difference I do not know. But can you spend $500 and make it as fast as the 2.53. Yes and no, you can't change the CPU, the only thing you can buy is an SSD which will boost the performance, but you also would need 4GB ram IMO. I went from the 2.4 MB Pro from November 2007 with 2GB ram to the 2009 Unibody 2.53 MB pro and I have noticed a speed difference, everything is much snappier.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.