Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

P140897

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Is the processor bump on the higher end 13" MBP really worth the price?

I know there is also a bigger HD but you can get that in the specs page if you configure your MBP with only 2.4gHz processor you would pay $1302 in Canada and with a processor of 2.66gHz and the same size HD you pay $1549 so is that processor bump really worth the money?

Thanks

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
While I love the 13" size, the Core2 is hard to justify at any speed. I understand Apple's reasoning, but its still a hard sell to me. That's why I sold mine and bought the 15".

P140897

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
As usual, without any indication of what you use your machine for there is no way anyone can help you. Since you're asking, it's probably not worth it.

Yes sorry I should have specified, I'm gonna do very light HD (iPhone Quality) video editing using iMovie 09' nothing to hard on the computer, I also might occasionally use it to play in X-Plane 9

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
While I love the 13" size, the Core2 is hard to justify at any speed. I understand Apple's reasoning, but its still a hard sell to me. That's why I sold mine and bought the 15".

:eek: What?! Your joking. What do you need the i7 for? As a radiator, yes, probably.

dal20402

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2006
You'll notice a lot more difference in perceived speed if you use the money on an SSD.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You'll notice a lot more difference in perceived speed if you use the money on an SSD.
Agreed 1000%!

SSDs gain just about nothing once applications are launched.
First, even if you were right, most of us launch applications day in and day out, many times per day. Fortunately, the benefits extend far beyond this. Startup, shutdown, sleep/hibernate all happen many times quicker. Transfer of large amounts of data to or from the drive is much faster. In general, most of the lag that we all associate with using a computer is gone. Honestly, going back to a computer (especially a laptop) with a traditional drive feels like something is broken.

toxic

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2008
First, even if you were right, most of us launch applications day in and day out, many times per day. Fortunately, the benefits extend far beyond this. Startup, shutdown, sleep/hibernate all happen many times quicker. Transfer of large amounts of data to or from the drive is much faster. In general, most of the lag that we all associate with using a computer is gone. Honestly, going back to a computer (especially a laptop) with a traditional drive feels like something is broken.

yes, much of the lag is gone. but how many times do you shutdown/start up your computer in a day? and once the applications is launched the first time, quitting and opening it the second time won't take much time, either. the minute or two wasted waiting for the computer to start up in the morning (if you actually shut down the computer at night) and launching the apps isn't worth $100+ for most users.

SSDs are even less useful in OSX, which caches stuff regularly and is designed so that you don't quit applications on close...so spending $200 on RAM will likely give you a bigger return than $200 on an SSD.

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
yes, much of the lag is gone. but how many times do you shutdown/start up your computer in a day? and once the applications is launched the first time, quitting and opening it the second time won't take much time, either. the minute or two wasted waiting for the computer to start up in the morning (if you actually shut down the computer at night) and launching the apps isn't worth $100+ for most users.

SSDs are even less useful in OSX, which caches stuff regularly and is designed so that you don't quit applications on close...so spending $200 on RAM will likely give you a bigger return than $200 on an SSD.

The only way the additional RAM will benefit you is if you are RAM limited, which given the specs of most computers over the past few years, means most users aren't. If you are not RAM limited, add all the RAM you want - it won't do anything.

Honestly, it sounds as if you have never used a quality SSD. It entirely transforms the computer using experience, and I know of nobody who has actually used one who wasn't amazed at the difference. It's not just in those few limited use scenarios you bring up - it is everywhere - and it makes a huge difference. I think it's by far the best money you can spend on a computer today.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yes sorry I should have specified, I'm gonna do very light HD (iPhone Quality) video editing using iMovie 09' nothing to hard on the computer, I also might occasionally use it to play in X-Plane 9

I feel the difference between the two models. I wish I had extra cash at the time of purchase, but then again, you could get a refurb i5 15" for about the same price.

SidBala

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
Go refurb.

otherwise, the difference between 2.4 and 2.66 is about 10%

not worth it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.