2.5 things that irk me about the iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iluvifone, Aug 4, 2010.

1. iluvifone macrumors 6502

#1 - Many popular videos on youtube are not available via the youtube app, nor mobile youtube on safari. When searching regular youtube on a PC, these videos are often the #1 result due to popularity. Listed below are some examples:

-Like a boss (lonely island)
    -Jizz in my pants (lonely island)
    -Also many music videos, most recently could not find a single copy on my iphone, but found tons on my PC of "LIKE A G6" (OFFICIAL) FAR EAST MOVEMENT".

Anyone know why they do not appear on the iPhone? Possibly due to copyright restrictions?

#2 - I have yet to be able to watch a video in HD on mobile youtube via safari. Its either HQ or no HQ, no option for HD. Must say i'm disappointed.

#2.5 - This one only counts as half because it's not a major issue, just something that bugs me. I've noticed that every time I'm at home (automatically connected to wifi network), and my phone sleeps, and the moment i press the home button to wake it up, I notice the icon in the top corner reading 3G, and then it switches to wifi a second or two later. Is there a reason it automatically switches to 3G when inactive? Have you guys observed this behaviour?

Thank you for your time.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1. Legal issues of streaming over the air, even if its a video.

2. Google won't do it because basically there is no phone capable of doing full 720p video. Well, the hardware is there, but no screen for a phone supports it, except maybe the Retina Display.

2.5 Battery life. Conserve as much battery juice as possible.

3. Roofy. macrumors 6502a

4. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

1- MAny YouTube partners have the option of not having their videos go mobile, because the watchers are not exposed to advertising.
    2- No phone has a 720p screen, so it's pointless.
    2.5- TO conserve battery. 3g( or edge) has to be active to get texts and voicemail. There is no need to keep wiFi active too.

5. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

#1 is also due to the fact that not all youtube videos are in the H.264 format. And only the ones in the H.264 format show up on the iPhone whereas on your desktop you get all of the youtube videos whether in Flash or H.264 or both.

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You also forgot HTML5

7. iluvifone thread starter macrumors 6502

woah thanks for the quick replies guys!

just a question though.. is there any way around #1 (via JB or whatnot), or is that illegal?

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

The video is just not there for you....

9. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Your phone just won't support the standard. If you know in advance you can download them and put them on the iPhone via iTunes.

10. jlpoore89 macrumors 6502

Ah yes that does apply if you go to Safari on the iPhone and enter the YouTube HTML5 Beta, but I don't believe the HTML5 videos will show up in the YouTube app. AFAIK it only supports H.264.

11. insidmal macrumors 6502

insidmal

retina is close at 640, it still beats youtube's defaults of 360 or 480..

if you were watching the video in portrait style it would be 900

12. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga