2.53 13.3 macbook sold for $2,934 on ebay??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 301finest, Mar 5, 2010.

1. 301finest macrumors regular

Hey, I had my 1 month old macbook Pro 2.53 model for sale on ebay. The winning bidder won it for $2,934. We all know that this computer retails for $1499. The bidder contacted me with paypal information. Only Problem is I think it's a scam, note that he's from the Ukraine and has 1 feedback

2. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

Do not send it in unless you can verify that the money is in your bank account and can't be retracted. that happened to me on amazon. Two people sent me an email saying they "won it" LOL. THey used a real amazon email template that made it seem like its legit. One guys was from asia and another one in africa. Anyways, checked my account, no sale was made and contacted amazon and they said its fake.

so yeah when in doubt, follow your instincts.

3. 301finest thread starter macrumors regular

4. pukifloyd macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

5. RudyGrow macrumors regular

You might want to wait a bit. He might've overbid by mistake and its a total d**k move to make him pay (even though ebay forces him). Worst comes to worst, you can always go to your next highest bidder...

6. California macrumors 68040

California

Contact paypal if you do get a payment. Call them up about it. Also email ebay about it. This is a scam.

I have had really weird luck with low feedback ebayers, even bought something from a guy with only eight transactions and -- he pulled out of the deal.

7. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Money can be removed from your bank account for a very, very long time. If the scammer uses someone else's bank account, and that person only notices eight weeks later, your money will be gone even after eight weeks.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Sounds very fishy to me... Good ol' phrase; "What sounds too good, usually isn't" applies to this...

9. chris975d macrumors 68000

chris975d

With Paypal and computer sales now, 9 out of 10 times they will place a hold on the funds (seller can't access them) until the buyer has actually received the item, and Paypal can verify delivery with a tracking number. Paypal says that they are doing this due to the high amount of fraud in computer and electronic sales. So, if this is the case if payment is made in the OP's case, he won't be able to transfer the funds to his bank account until 3 days after the delivery is made (Paypal policy in the case that a hold is placed).

10. old-wiz macrumors G3

and the buyer can simply say he never received the item and PayPal will take your money back and you will be out of luck.

I would never ship anything to a different country.

11. appleguy123 macrumors 603

appleguy123

Signature verified delivery... But I still vote for mistake or scam.

12. iPhysicist macrumors 6502a

iPhysicist

There have to be at least 2 bidders who really want an item to make its price raise. So I BET its a scam.

13. 301finest thread starter macrumors regular

Yea I figured that. The buyer sent the money but in a bogus paypal. This is it:

his PayPal fund has been deducted from the buyer's PayPal account (j.sarsha@yahoo.com) and has been " APPROVED " but will not be credited to your PayPal account (niketownhoh@gmail.com) until the shipment reference/tracking number is sent to us for shipment verification so as to secure both the buyer and the seller. This measure is taken in order to protect both buyer and seller interests and to reduce the occurence of fraudulent activities. Below are the necessary information requested before your account will be credited.

Regardless, Im not messing with it. It has scam written all over it

14. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut