2.66 GHz Core2Duo vs. 2.4 GHz i5 - which is better?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ---, Apr 15, 2010.

1. --- macrumors member

I'm debating between a refurb with the duo, and a new one with the i5. Price of i5 one is $150 more; other specs are practically equal.

What would you choose and why?

---

2. gatepc macrumors 6502

gatepc

From what I understand the newer architecture in the i5 makes it faster in practical use even though it has a slower clock speed. Honestly I would go with the i5 but that may just be me. The i5 will likely show a noticeable speed increase over the core 2 duo.

3. jmdMac macrumors regular

also you get the better battery, gpu, and a larger hdd(?) with the i5

4. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

5. --- thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I also just noticed that the graphics in the core 2 duo one is NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB, while the i5 has NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB. Is the 330M much better?

Also, the new macbook pro probably has the automatic switching between crappy and good graphics, while the core2duo probably requires you to restart. Correct me someone if I am wrong.

6. --- thread starter macrumors member

Same hdd in this particular case. gpu is different though (330M instead of 9600M GT). Not sure which is better.

7. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

You're right about restarting to switch from 9400 to 9600.

The 330M is marginally better than the 9600M GT. Maybe 50% faster, maybe not quite that, maybe a little more. I've seen plausible estimates anywhere from 20% to 70%, so we'll need to get some benchmarks to find out.

Unless you play 3D video games, though, it won't make any difference you'll ever see.

And yes, the i5 is better than the C2D.

8. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

get the i5. They are screamers. I went to the Apple store today and opened up 3 youtube 1080p flash videos of the dark knight trailer and had them all playing super smooth no stutter with like 10 apps open and photobooth open recording me. I was very impressed since my old 2.4 could not even do the 1 1080p youtube video smoothly part. Also the 330m gt is obviously better its a newer card. its about 35% faster which makes the difference between playable and not on the newer games. Also auto switching graphics and much longer battery life as well as inertia scrolling like an iphone and it runs signiificantly cooler from what i have seen.

9. --- thread starter macrumors member

Alright. i5 it is.

On top of the aforementioned awesomeness, I realize I can get a free iPod with it if I wait about a month and a half for the student promotion. (I think I am patient enough)

10. mgacam2 macrumors regular

mgacam2

Very good choice, you wont regret it. I have to say that these i core -processors make the macbook pros finally feel like a real desktop. They are seriously solid and in car terms if anyone understands, they are a chip with alot of torque hah. Now I just need to be patient and wait for my i7 to arrive =(

11. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Better battery on the 13", same HDD, the i5 has a better gpu.

12. ZazenZach macrumors member

clock speeds don't really mean anything. the clock speed myth was created by intel during the P3-P4 era in order to sell stock.

13. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

I second that

14. --- thread starter macrumors member

Well its not completely a myth. With all other things equal, faster clock speed is better obviously. In this case, the architecture or whatever is different, so that is why I asked the question. I guess Geekbench scores is what should be looked at when comparing processors.

15. ihacker007 macrumors newbie

16. DJ-R macrumors regular

I would not pay for a 4-5 years old technology now if I were you.

17. RWil85 macrumors 6502

do either of these models hold their resale value better than the other?

18. DJ-R macrumors regular

If it has AppleCare, the resell value is always higher.

19. RWil85 macrumors 6502

thank you..

ok, given that they both have AppleCare..

do either of these models hold their resale value better than the other?

20. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

AppleCare resell is only worth it if your computer is over a year old.

21. cathyy macrumors 6502a

i5 definitely. It's about 25% faster clock for clock. Plus it offers Hyperthreading and Turbo Boost. The 330 M GT is about 40% faster than the 9600M GT.

22. RWil85 macrumors 6502

if i purchased the MBP in my sig approximately 45 days ago..what are the odds that Apple would let me somehow upgrade to the 15" 2.66GHz, i7?

don't ask why i ask this, haha..love my MBP; however, having some buyer's remorse and reading more and more threads like this have me itching..that's all, wondering if anyone has some knowledge/experience on this.

thanks!

23. racedude macrumors member

0, You're already past the 30-day period where you can bring it in and pay a 10% restocking fee to return it. Also, you would have been better off making a new thread than hi-jacking someone else's thread.