2.66 GHz Core2Duo vs. 2.4 GHz i5 - which is better?

---

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Canada
I'm debating between a refurb with the duo, and a new one with the i5. Price of i5 one is $150 more; other specs are practically equal.

What would you choose and why?

---

gatepc

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2008
Pittsburgh PA
From what I understand the newer architecture in the i5 makes it faster in practical use even though it has a slower clock speed. Honestly I would go with the i5 but that may just be me. The i5 will likely show a noticeable speed increase over the core 2 duo.

---

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Canada
From what I understand the newer architecture in the i5 makes it faster in practical use even though it has a slower clock speed. Honestly I would go with the i5 but that may just be me. The i5 will likely show a noticeable speed increase over the core 2 duo.
Thanks. I also just noticed that the graphics in the core 2 duo one is NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB, while the i5 has NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M with 256 MB. Is the 330M much better?

Also, the new macbook pro probably has the automatic switching between crappy and good graphics, while the core2duo probably requires you to restart. Correct me someone if I am wrong.

therealseebs

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2010
You're right about restarting to switch from 9400 to 9600.

The 330M is marginally better than the 9600M GT. Maybe 50% faster, maybe not quite that, maybe a little more. I've seen plausible estimates anywhere from 20% to 70%, so we'll need to get some benchmarks to find out.

Unless you play 3D video games, though, it won't make any difference you'll ever see.

And yes, the i5 is better than the C2D.

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
get the i5. They are screamers. I went to the Apple store today and opened up 3 youtube 1080p flash videos of the dark knight trailer and had them all playing super smooth no stutter with like 10 apps open and photobooth open recording me. I was very impressed since my old 2.4 could not even do the 1 1080p youtube video smoothly part. Also the 330m gt is obviously better its a newer card. its about 35% faster which makes the difference between playable and not on the newer games. Also auto switching graphics and much longer battery life as well as inertia scrolling like an iphone and it runs signiificantly cooler from what i have seen.

---

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Canada
get the i5. They are screamers. I went to the Apple store today and opened up 3 youtube 1080p flash videos of the dark knight trailer and had them all playing super smooth no stutter with like 10 apps open and photobooth open recording me. I was very impressed since my old 2.4 could not even do the 1 1080p youtube video smoothly part. Also the 330m gt is obviously better its a newer card. its about 35% faster which makes the difference between playable and not on the newer games. Also auto switching graphics and much longer battery life as well as inertia scrolling like an iphone and it runs signiificantly cooler from what i have seen.
Alright. i5 it is.

On top of the aforementioned awesomeness, I realize I can get a free iPod with it if I wait about a month and a half for the student promotion. (I think I am patient enough)

mgacam2

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
Very good choice, you wont regret it. I have to say that these i core -processors make the macbook pros finally feel like a real desktop. They are seriously solid and in car terms if anyone understands, they are a chip with alot of torque hah. Now I just need to be patient and wait for my i7 to arrive =(

ZazenZach

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2009
clock speeds don't really mean anything. the clock speed myth was created by intel during the P3-P4 era in order to sell stock.

---

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 1, 2008
Canada
clock speeds don't really mean anything. the clock speed myth was created by intel during the P3-P4 era in order to sell stock.
Well its not completely a myth. With all other things equal, faster clock speed is better obviously. In this case, the architecture or whatever is different, so that is why I asked the question. I guess Geekbench scores is what should be looked at when comparing processors.

DJ-R

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2010
I would not pay for a 4-5 years old technology now if I were you.

cathyy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2008
i5 definitely. It's about 25% faster clock for clock. Plus it offers Hyperthreading and Turbo Boost. The 330 M GT is about 40% faster than the 9600M GT.

RWil85

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2010
if i purchased the MBP in my sig approximately 45 days ago..what are the odds that Apple would let me somehow upgrade to the 15" 2.66GHz, i7?

don't ask why i ask this, haha..love my MBP; however, having some buyer's remorse and reading more and more threads like this have me itching..that's all, wondering if anyone has some knowledge/experience on this.

thanks!

racedude

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2010
Carmel, IN
if i purchased the MBP in my sig approximately 45 days ago..what are the odds that Apple would let me somehow upgrade to the 15" 2.66GHz, i7?

don't ask why i ask this, haha..love my MBP; however, having some buyer's remorse and reading more and more threads like this have me itching..that's all, wondering if anyone has some knowledge/experience on this.

thanks!
0, You're already past the 30-day period where you can bring it in and pay a 10% restocking fee to return it. Also, you would have been better off making a new thread than hi-jacking someone else's thread.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.