2 days with the Apple Watch, a Review

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by diablo2112, Apr 25, 2015.

1. diablo2112, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2015

diablo2112 macrumors 6502

Extremely pleased after 2 days. Has exceeded my expectations for a v1.0 new Apple product. Here's some specific comments and observations.

Highs:

1) Beautifully made. Both my wife and I normally wear watches; love the craftsmanship and attention to detail. Lovely hardware from a watch-enthusiast standpoint (38mm SS w/classic buckle).

2) Surprised how often just glancing at the watch is all we need. Was shopping at Costco today. Great amount of info exchange via the watch; we setup our own custom replies for the message app.

3) Applepay. Another game changer for my wife. Doesn't have to get cards out of her purse. Double-click the friend button, wave your watch over the terminal. Couldn't be easier. My wife loves the fact she can keep her wallet in her purse, feels much safer this way, not to mention the lack of digital skimming and ID theft.

4) Phone calls around the house. My wife is always in the garden or around the house; she doesn't carry her phone with her. Can leave her phone in her purse, and gets messages and calls on the watch. 2/3 of the time I call her, she didn't answer before (didn't have her phone; didn't hear it). Hasn't missed a call or text yet with the watch. Brilliant, and is apparently using our home wifi for all this, with great range between watch and phone.

5) Weather on the watch face. Great custom options on the watch face. Lovely getting outside temperature at a glance when you check time, and a mini-forecast. Speaking of which, the watch faces are beautiful.

6) Siri. "Hey Siri". Works great, activates automatically when you raise your wrist. Very fast, and seems more accurate than with the iphone.

7) Charger. Genius design. It's not a flat surface, it has a slight curve. The watch fits this perfect with the magnet, and can only rotate, not slide around. The wire can rotate to any position, so easy to attach and unattach. Much, much simpler than the lighting connector.

8) Battery life. Full use today, on at 6am. Now 8pm, and watch shows 45% remaining. Very impressive.

9) Gestures/interface. The digital crown works extremely well. How nice to have a classic watch feature (crown) that integrates so well with the watch OS. So easy to just roll the top of the crown with your finger. The buttons feel great, too. The force-press and touchscreen feel of great quality, too.

Areas for improvement:

1) Screen timeout. This seems to be 4 seconds, and isn't adjustable. Clearly, Apple needs to make this an adjustable option, and let users decide between screen time and battery life. 4sec is just a bit too short. 6 or 8s would be better.

2) Haptic feedback. It's just ok. Even the "prominent feedback" setting is just powerful enough. This could be increased.

3) Lag in some apps initial loading. There can be a bit of lag for some apps on initial load (like Maps). Nothing excessive, but the watch really is a "glance at" device, and it holds your attention for longer than a glance in these cases. May take hardware v2 to speed this up, or perhaps some refined apps/programming. Not a killer, but something to be improved upon.

4) Adding cards to Apple Pay with the 5s. Non-intuitive. Took quite a bit of trying to get our cards into the watch. One-time issue, but you'll see complaints from folks having problems here as Passbook on the 5s doesn't natively support adding cards.

5) Unlock code keypad. The unlock code screen has some pretty small buttons on the 38mm watch. I have big fingers, and I'm not always accurate in entering the code. We ended up changing codes to something more compatible with my big fingers. Ideally, we'd have a version of Touch ID on the watch screen for this, that would be awesome. Another future upgrade, no doubt.

There you go! Hope this was a fair and balanced review. Very, very happy with this watch, and can't wait for our 2nd one to arrive, 42mm SS Black.

2. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Surprised you had trouble getting your cards into Apple Pay. I did it today while having lunch with a friend. Took maybe 30 seconds per card.

Is the 38mm yours or your wife's?

3. MacNerd1239 macrumors member

Nice review!

I have one question for you, have you noticed that the stainless steel enclosure scratches a lot or shows a lot of marks? Someone mentioned that it seems to scratch similar to the old iPod's rear enclosure and that scares me quite a bit.

Thanks, keep enjoying your watch. Can't wait for my 42MM SS w/ Classic Buckle.

4. rabbitgtdguy macrumors member

Nicely said! The wait continues but these are good points to know!

Joe

5. diablo2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

My wife's phone is a 5s, which doesn't natively support Apple Pay. Was a bit complex to get cards into it as a result. The native Passbook app on the 5s does take cards. We figured it out. You have to unlink the Watch from the Phone for passbook, then go in via the Watch app and manually enter the card.

6. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Ah, that explains it.

7. craigo14 macrumors member

Id also be interested in how the S/S is standing up

8. DynaFXD macrumors 6502a

DynaFXD

I think my wife and I would agree with your review. Well done in your summation and clarity. I agree with the haptic feed back observation. Our solution was to _back the strength down_ to medium. The idea is to train ourselves to be aware of that feedback, which we curently are not. After a while we hope that those little taps on the wrist start to click mentally as a notification. If not we can then move up to a heavier bump and continue the process. That's out plan at least :)

9. JoshVB macrumors regular

Thanks for the review. My 42 SS BSB shipped out this morning for a delivery at the start of the week. I've also ordered a blue leather loop and will probably order another band or two if I end up wearing the watch daily. I'm interested in the functionality of Apple Watch, but I'm also seeking quality. My daily watch is a Tag Heuer which I paid just over $1500 for. When you're accustomed to higher price point watches, the current lot of smart watches are a tough sell - one reason why my Pebble has spent most of its life in one of my drawers.

10. Mac128guy macrumors member

The lack of strong Taptic Feedback has been reported by many and is definitely a concern of mine before I order the watch. I love the vibration power of my Pebble. Never miss a thing!

Wondering if the adjustments can be strengthened by Apple with a software update or if there is a hardware limitation (like too weak an 'engine').

OP - GREAT review, by the way. Thanks for that!

11. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is a setting that lets you use your iPhone to unlock your watch as long as the watch is on your wrist.

12. diablo2112, Apr 25, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2015

diablo2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

You still have to enter the access code for a couple of functions, but yes, we enabled the "unlock with iphone" option.

13. diablo2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's way too early to tell how well the SS model will hold up to scratches and abuse. We're watch folks, with several other nice brands (Hublot, IWC, Tag) and used to keeping our watches in good shape. Obviously, haven't seen the slightest problem with the SS model after 2 days. Apple knows their metallurgy. 316s stainless is a good alloy; it should be nicely scratch resistant and bonus, any jeweler will be able to repolish the case in the event of some nasty scratch.

14. MacNerd1239 macrumors member

Thank you for this, I had no idea how easily they could polish scratches out of this material. It shows you really how little all of these reviewers know about watches, it's good to see your perspective.

Bonus, I cleaned up the back of my old iPod on the shelf now. :) Thanks again!

15. mprofit macrumors regular

mprofit

Thanks for your review diablo; glad you're enjoying your Watch. Can anyone with an iPhone 5 or 5S speak to the issue I've highlighted above? I have an iPhone 5, and Apple Pay is a major reason for my wanting to get the Watch.

16. diablo2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes. You have to do a couple of things to get your cards into Passbook with the 5/5s. 1) turn OFF mirroring of Passbook in the Watch app on the iPhone. 2) manually add your card via the passbook portion of the watch app on the iPhone (NOT the passbook app). Yeah, its all a bit confusing.

I'm pretty sure that's what worked for us, after trying and failing to go via the Passbook app.

Good luck.

17. sevimli macrumors 6502a

sevimli

You did it unnecessarily long way. All you need to do is using your apple watch app on your 5S/5 and adding cards through the apple pay menu in that app.

I added all cards this way for 3 different watches and 5s users.