Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
I'm not defending Apple's decision by any means, but I think these concerns over 2GB of RAM are unjustified. How slow has Apple been to upgrade the RAM in their devices? I don't see them shifting all of these products to 4GB any time soon and developers are not going to abandon them.

Developers are still targetting 1GB devices like the Air, and 512MB devices like the iPad 2 (and lament the iPad 3). Some apps will benefit from the breathing room from 2GB (no, not a stock tracking app unless you are tracking tens of thousands or millions of stocks), and fewer still from 4GB. The bad news is that web browsers are the poster child of an app that will use unholy amounts of memory, and everyone uses them.

Reactions: Traverse

stylinexpat

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2009
That article is just like the one posted yesterday on Macrumors which sparked these debates. Is there a stock trading app (or any app for that matter) which the Air 2 could not keep up with? Then how much more capable will the 9.7" Pro be? Nearly Apple's entire line of iPads and all of their flagship phones have 2GB of RAM. Their mainstream usage base is shifting to 2GB of RAM. I don't think Apple or developers are going to outdate that any time soon. As of right now the 13" Pro is the only iOS device ever to have 4GB and this is a premium niche product.

I'm not defending Apple's decision by any means, but I think these concerns over 2GB of RAM are unjustified. How slow has Apple been to upgrade the RAM in their devices? I don't see them shifting all of these products to 4GB any time soon and developers are not going to abandon them.
They could have at least offered it as an option for those buying the 128GB or 256GB models. Maybe just kept 2GB of RAM for the people who wanted to save money and buy the 32GB version of the iPad.
Xiaomi is 1/3 the size with 4GB of RAM. Surely there is enough room in there for 2 more GB of RAM and I am pretty sure most would rather pay the extra $ to buy the 4GB of RAM model iPad Pro. If not they could buy the older iPads or the Mini with less RAM.

I like Apple products and am willing to pay a little more for better specs.
http://www.xiaomidevice.com/xiaomi-mi5-4g.html

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008

they also incorrectly report it as being clocked at 2.26 ghz. they just made an assumption that being also labelled 'pro' meant the guts would match the 12.9" model. basically they prove apple's logic right, give it a 'pro' name and let people make (incorrect) assumptions about the level of hardware in it.

note, i'm still on the fence about buying one because i want a digital sketchbook, but i can be disappointed nonetheless about their pricing and hardware combo.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
That would be hilarious.
That would be pretty funny. And while Apple never talks about RAM at events, you'd think that some little birdy would have leaked something to the contrary after that story came out the other day. Especially after Apple talked about how it has the same A9X over and over. Lots of people on here decided not to order because of that, and the Pro models should be targeted at enthusiasts and power users like us. Now it won't be able to run the same sort of demanding Pro apps as it's bigger brother, so why bother? The iPad Air 2 64GB at $499 is a great deal and has nearly the same performance with twice the storage for $100 less. It's a great machine for everyday tasks and 2GB is plenty for most people at this point in time.

Reactions: Kurri

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
That would be pretty funny. And while Apple never talks about RAM at events, you'd think that some little birdy would have leaked something to the contrary after that story came out the other day. Especially after Apple talked about how it has the same A9X over and over. Lots of people on here decided not to order because of that, and the Pro models should be targeted at enthusiasts and power users like us. Now it won't be able to run the same sort of demanding Pro apps as it's bigger brother, so why bother? The iPad Air 2 64GB at $499 is a great deal and has nearly the same performance with twice the storage for $100 less. It's a great machine for everyday tasks and 2GB is plenty for most people at this point in time.

My understanding is that the RAM value comes from a single source based on geekbench software. The tech blogs picked up on it for obvious reasons. It is possible, and some Mac pundits have mentioned that it might be wrong. The 12.9 IPP supposedly showed 2 GB of RAM until apple revealed the RAM in a press release. We won't know for sure until the unit is dismantled.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My understanding is that the RAM value comes from a single source based on geekbench software. The tech blogs picked up on it for obvious reasons. It is possible, and some Mac pundits have mentioned that it might be wrong. The 12.9 IPP supposedly showed 2 GB of RAM until apple revealed the RAM in a press release. We won't know for sure until the unit is dismantled.
Interesting. But wouldn't GeekBench have been updated to detect 4GB of RAM? Or is the value just hard-coded into their software because they're lazy, requiring a software update to see the number? Huh. Apologies to the rest of you, but I was kinda glad Apple made the decision for me so I didn't spend more money, lol. But if it does turn out to have 4GB this will only be good for developers wanting to build high-end apps for iPads as the 9.7" model will surely have more market share than the 12.9" version. It will just be harder for me to want to wait another year!

Suspended
Sep 22, 2007
One would think that their testing software would be updated, but evidently, it didn't get the iPad Pro correctly at first. This is all second hand, just passing along the opinions of a couple of pundits who say it might not be so straightforward.

A lot of people are guessing, based on a very tangential understanding of how RAM is used, which could have optimized in iOS9.3 to for the new iPP.

I have an iPad Mini 4 that is just a few months old, but bought a 9.7 inch iPP this morning- just to get the pencil. I use a Wacom tablet with my Mac, but the pencil on an iPad is as close as you can get to pencil and paper. The Wacom is second, but the iPad is outstanding.

I also think that the size of the 9.7 will preclude a whole lot of split view multitasking in practice, so the RAM isn't a big deal going forward. Notes on the second panel, primary app on the first. Just can't see running two high demand apps simultaneously, but I am sure many people differ.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.