2 laptops stolen: 1 replaced, 1 to go...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Drewski, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Drewski, Mar 7, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2011

Drewski macrumors regular

Hey all, long-time lurker here. Like many others, I speak PC fluently, but am way out of my comfort zone with Macs. Nevertheless, I bought my all-computer-illiterate fiance a refurbed '09 13" MBP 2.2GHz last year due to the overwhelming positive comments on the MBPs I read here and... well, everywhere. She liked it just fine, although she's hardly a power user. Then in August 2010, someone broke in and stole our laptops: the aforementioned MBP and my 5 year old Vaio. I was hardly using the Vaio anymore due to slow components but otherwise it was bulletproof. And it was great for VAG-COM on our VW and Audi (Mac not supported :mad: ) Anyway, I rushed out and bought her another refurb MBP 13, same specs, lower price at the Apple store. After speaking with my insurance agent, apparently I should have been a little more careful about my purchase in order to maximize the insurance payout, but now her MBP is paid for, I paid the deductible, and basically I can buy about $1300 more worth of laptop and have them pick up the bill. (of course, I can get something more than $1300, but I will have to pay the difference.)

Since then, I have slowly been warming up to the little MBP and I'm now using it more than she is. And I'm using it more than I use my customized PC desktop. I'm to the point now where I just like how the MBP works, and the way it feels, and I'm past looking strictly at hardware specs on paper; I mean, just comparing hardware specs from a mid range PC laptop to a MBP from a cost perspective, the PC wins just about every time. But as we know, the cost and specs don't tell the whole story.

I'm not posting another in the endless line of "what computer should I buy?" messages. I'm already relatively sure that I'm jumping the PC ship. For my uses, I don't need the fastest new quad or anything, so a "last gen" 15 inch i7 would fit me well. HD and RAM not a big deal since that's an easy cheap DIY. I haven't checked out the hi-res non-glare yet, but Chicagoland is thick with Apple Stores, so it's pretty easy for me to stop and browse. My concerns would just be maintaining my PC only software (I know, Bootcamp and XP or Win7, but I don't know how well everything runs), and just where to buy. Most likely I would go back to the refurb bin at the Apple store online, but some of these Ebay prices I've been following lately are pretty tempting. I know a lot of you promote the high resale value aspect of MBPs in numerous threads here; of course the flipside of that coin is sorting out the scams online, if shopping on the used mac lot. I mean, are there that many mac folks that sell early on, even with Applecare? I've seen a LOT of "less than 6 months old, Apple care, loaded MBP, I'm downgrading / moving / don't need / etc." deals on Ebay. I will proceed cautiously, but still with an eye toward a good deal.

The one thing I am having a hard time defining though is about mini displayport audio. When exactly was the cutoff for inclusion of audio in the output? I hear early '10, mid '10, late '10, and then see "released April '10", "released October '10", etc. at the online store. Is there an easier way to decode the specs for that issue?

I guess that's all I have for now, although I'm sure I'll be back with more questions. I work due diligence with regard to my questions, but I'm guessing I may ask something that has already been answered before. My apologies in advance.

Anyway, if you made it this far, thanks for reading and sorry for the verbosity. An unfortunate side effect of an education in the language arts... :D

2. 2contagious macrumors 6502a

2contagious

I'm pretty sure Audio was included in the DisplayPort starting with the Early 2010 MacBook Pros.

3. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

4. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Refurbs on the apple store have a full one year warranty. Mine was basically new when I received it. The current refurb prices on the 10 and 09 models are cheaper than what most people are asking on CL and eBay.

I think you are safe that any 10 model will pass the audio. I had an early 2010 13" and it passed audio fine with the right settings.

5. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I use Bootcamp, and everything runs great, just like it does on a Windows PC.

And I'd go with the refurbs, for the warranty and to avoid scams.

6. richlee111 macrumors regular

2nd that. I am still a heavy PC user, and having boot camp will give you the best of both worlds. And if you really want to get fancy, you can buy one of the virtualization softwares like VMWare or Parallels and run the boot camp Windows PC inside the Mac OS.

Ahhhh....brings back memories of my VW tuning days. Had a VAG also to pull codes. Just had to segway there for moment;)

7. Drewski thread starter macrumors regular

Does all of your PC software work? I don't care about games, mainly business and graphics software, although I assume I will eventually assimilate into the Mac graphics world. And have you ever networked your Mac as a PC at a Windows business environment? I'm thinking about eventually bringing mine to the office, to let everyone ooh and ahh and plant a seed in my boss's head...

Oh we did a lot more than pull codes. I was an early guinea pig for the VAG when the 2.0T engines were new. It was fun experimenting, and finding out just what we could do with that software. I've got some discoveries at the Rosstech site. Now I'm just wondering if I'll be able to do the same, bootcamping Windows...

8. steeex macrumors member

I bought a second hand, 9 months old 15" 2.66 i7 a week after the 2011 MBPs were release...it's indeed a VERY good machine and I like it a lot (plus I snatched it for a ridiculously low price). I had to go with the standard resolution though...I would have preferred HR...but then again depends what you do. I program quite a lot, so a little extra screen real estate is always great, however I have read that on the long run you might find the size of the fonts a bit too small on that model...my suggestion is to get the HR version, but try it out well within the return period!

9. Pballer110 macrumors 6502

When using windows on a Mac through bootcamp or virtualization you can use any windows software without a problem.

10. richlee111, Mar 8, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011

richlee111 macrumors regular

Yes, whether you just use bootcamp and boot into Windows by itself, or you use a virtualization app to run windows as an app in the Mac OS, you will not have any problems running any programs in Windows. When you install Windows on bootcamp, it comes w/ all the windows drivers for the Mac hardware, so Windows will not be the wiser. As for networking, same deal. You should not run into any problems at all.

Yes, bootcamping, you should be able to use VAG with no problems. Did they make a USB connector now or is it still a serial input?

I had an '01 1.8T Jetta. Was also running an Upsolute chip w/ upgraded airbox, POV, flywheel, and gearing. That generation's VW/Audi were not the most reliable, so used the VAG to troubleshoot a lot of stupid stuff:p

Lastly, by chance I have a co-worker who is looking to sell his 2010 13" Macbook Pro. It is still in new condition, w/ warranty until Oct 2011. Box and all accessories are included. Specs are:

Model Name: MacBook Pro 13.1 Inch
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro7,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
    Memory: 4 GB DDR3 1067 MHz
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 320M
    Hard Drive: Hitachi 320GB

Also, I happen to be local(Chicago area), so it should be easy for us.

If interested, just send me a private message on here.

- Rich