2 Next Gen Consoles

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Cnasty, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Cnasty macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Hi everyone,

I wanted to poll the forum to see if anyone owns both next gen consoles and is it really worth it?

I currently own the PS4 and have always been a SONY purchaser and I have never owned an XBOX product. I dont consider myself a fan boy but have always just gravitated to the SONY controller.

This year though I have really been looking at the XBOX1 and seeing what it has to offer. I like the potential of the machine and exclusives like Titanfall and Forza but havent pulled the trigger. I get good use out of my PS4 right now.

Then the $450 bundle price drop occurred and it got my interest going again.

Anyone own both and see the benefit of owning both and any advice to kill this buyer curiosity or wait until after E3 to make the plunge?

Thanks

2. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

I don't own either...just a Wii U...but my advice is:

1. If there as a game right now that you want to play that is exclusive to the XBone, then go ahead and get it.

2. If there isn't a game right now, can you wait? The next year, esp. the holiday season will probably see more games, and maybe more sales. You will likely see more XBone exclusives at this point, and buying it will be worth it.

3. If you have $450 burning a hole in your wallet, then go ahead and get it.

The first year after a console's release is usually pretty dry for games. Look back, and think--do any first year games from the 360 or PS3 era come to mind?

The time right after a new console's release is the perfect time to pick up all the great games on the previous generation & play them--usually at greatly reduced prices!

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

This generation of consoles is lame. Do yourself and your wallet a favour and get a PC to game on.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

All I'm really interested in this gen is Playstation 4 and Wii U and I have both of them.

Playstation 4 for the big, typical console-experience games like Metal Gear, Gran Turismo.
    Wii U for the typical Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Smash Bros games.
    And PC for FPS games :D
    And Vita and 3DS for the awesome games they have

I have no idea how Nintendo keep making Mario titles so fun. Still playing through Mario 3D World and it's just an utter joy, probably finish it in time for Mario Kart 8, which will tide me over to Smash Bros...

I think the PS4 and Xbox are too similar for their own good to warrant getting both, except the PS4 is a bit more powerful and costs a bit less.

5. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

i really am drawn to Titanfall and like the price drop and possibly seeing what else xbox has up their sleeve having never owned one and mixing it up this year being the big next gen year.

good feedback

6. davelanger macrumors 6502a

I own both. You really only need a ps4 IMO.
    Now if you like all that kinetic stuff then get an xbox on for that.

But right now the x box one really isn't worth the price and all the games that are on both systems will be better on ps4.

And just a quick note, titan fall 2 will be on ps4

7. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Right now I have a Wii U and love it - I'll be adding a PS4 to the mix in October when Alien Isolation comes out. I don't see much of a point in owning a Xbox One and a PS4 - the Microsoft exclusives don't seem to have me that excited - and TitanFall 2 is rumored to hit PS4 anyways.

Sony and Microsoft seem to be trying to provide very similar gaming experiences, while Nintendo provides a nice change from the other 2.

8. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Already XBOne is down to $450 with a game download (Titanfall or Forza).

Really, the download is only worth about $30 (not the $60 people are saying - that much only as a physical copy). With Titanfall bundle you get a month of XBox Live. This was done to compete with the PS4.

If MS REALLY wants to compete, leave out the Kinect and then go down to $349 for the core unit (I want physical copies anyways).

Sony is "saying" that their console will be $399 for a very long time - but competition is fierce out there...

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

When retailers still struggle to keep PS4's in stock Sony rightfully should be in no hurry to lower the price. Xbones on the other hand are a dime a dozen, You get stuff like this from publishers and its not really looking good for MS atm.. http://www.gamerheadlines.com/2014/03/ea-regrets-titanfall-xbox-one-exclusivity-says-insider/

Consoles are cyclical, last gen Sony played catch up most the time and MS enjoyed things so long as they weren't losing billions to RROD issues. This gen Sony is basking in it and MS is in "oh ****" recovery mode trying to play catch up and pretend that none of the numbers matter to them.

10. MRU, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

^ gentlemen the op asked a question, not a desire to open a debate on PS4 v XBO.

OP...

I own them all, and like you initially had no desire to own an xbo. But over a couple of moths my interest grew to the point where I just took the plunge, and so far whilst my initial few days took some serious getting used to the device, and its foibles - I don't regret the purchase.

And yes since getting my xbox one I have used it quite a lot and therefore it has proven its worth to me.

Titanfall and Plants V Zombies are great craic, Dead Rising 3 is the best in its series, Zoo Tycoon has proven to be charming / challenging and a time killer.
    Forza looks amazing but I'm struggling (I'm not a racing game player)

Basically I have the xb1 in a different room to my PS4 & Wii U. So I game dependent on which room I'm in and what mood I'm in.

But yeah no regrets owning all devices. If you can afford to do so - do it.

The xb1 maybe bigger and bit more ugly, but it is noticeably quieter in operation than my ps4 or wii u. And when it's in a home entertainment unit, it's ugliness isn't too much of a problem.

There are some cool things with the xbo. The turn your console off (standby) but have ability to jump straight back into your game after coming off standby is surprisingly handy.

For me kinect voice commands are not supported in my country and neither is the TV in / TV guide working properly here either.

11. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Thanks for that mac as it gave me some real good insight and actually mimics what I may be doing.
    I wanted to set it up in one of my other bedrooms as my PS4 is in the living room.

I am not sure if my gaming has been revitalized by these consoles and whats to come but I feel I want to play everything and use both systems in different ways.

I really want to grab one since the price decrease but I also may wait until after E3 in June to see if another decrease occurs and what Microsoft has up its sleeve...if anything.

I do know I am pretty disappointed in reading about XBOX Gold vs PS+ and their offerings and heard Games with Gold will eventually be coming to XB1.

12. sarcosis macrumors 6502a

I picked up the Titanfall Bundle a week ago and love the Xbox One alot more than I thought I would. I didn't pickup a PS4 yet since none of the games interested me and the one seemed like a good price. Picked up PvZ Garden Warefare and Dead Rising 3 and both are great games. Dead Rising 3 was alot better than I thought it was going to be. But the system its self is quite slick. The ability to snap is kind of useless to me right now, but the multi-tasking is super handy. For example, I'm waiting for a round of Titanfall to load, I hit the Xbox Button and go back out to the dash to look something up real quick, hit the XBox button again and I'm right back in game. Overall, it's getting played more than i thought it would and don't regret it!

13. blesscheese, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2014

blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Reminds me of the old Sega vs. Nintendo flame wars....ah, good times...NOT.

----------

...which should keep me occupied until Bayonetta...and at some point, they should release Watch Dogs for the Wii U (but I digress). If not, then I'll just get it for my PC. Nothing like having a good gaming PC along with the Nintendo.

If I had a bunch of extra money, and room on my desk, I'd get a PS4 & Vita, and do the remote play thing...

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yep PVZ is a surprise hit for me too and likewise Dead Rising 3 is a lot better than I was expecting after rather middling reviews. I had a heap of fun playing through it and getting the S rated ending, though no desire to play any of the DLC after.

15. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Quietness is actually very important to me, and I'm sad to have read quite a lot of reports of PS4 getting pretty loud under pressure. Xbox One won't be here until September though, and I don't believe they'll ever bring any non-game services here.

I used the PS3 fat model for 5 years, but the jet plane level sound it started to make with certain games meant that I could never finish games like God of War 3. Six months ago I bought a used PS3 slim (not super slim!) and I've been the happiest gamer ever. That thing is truly quiet. With the reports of PS4 loudness, I might actually have to seriously consider the Xbox even if all games are inferior on it.

16. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I have this currently and I really enjoy the Vita but wish they would really support it more and offer more titles.

The remote play isnt all that it is cracked up to be by my accounts as I found some lag when using it but the concept is very cool if the right games are used with it.

Tearaway was one of the better games I have played in the last year. Very original.

17. Grechy macrumors member

Grechy

I would say it depends on what type of gamer you are and also the time you dedicate to gaming. I've always tried to eventually own every console as I hate missing out on a quality title if it's exclusive to one console - including both handhelds. I currently own every console besides the PS4. When the library grows and the systems really start to separate I'll probably grab one as well.

18. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Sadly I have to agree, I re-bought another Vita just for PS4 remote play and to be honest the controls especially trying to use the back trackpad as a segmented 4 button controller just doesn't really work comfortably, and there is a bit of lag - though not as game breaking as it could be - it still is not perfect.

19. Liquorpuki macrumors 68020

Liquorpuki

I own both and the Wii U and it's all about the games and there are a lot of good ones to go around on all platforms. I'm with MacRumorUser - playing a ton of Titanfall and PvZ on the XB1, making my way through Second Son on the PS4. Gonna install FFXIV on the PS4 later this month. Ironically the game I enjoyed the most in 2013 was 3D World on the Wii U. I just saw some Mario Kart 8 screens and I have a feeling I'm gonna end up buying it too.

The fanboy stuff is dumb unless you're 12 years old. It's all about the games. If you can afford it and see a game you wanna play, it's worth it. People spend $1000 every year on an iPad refresh, you can get 2 consoles for that price and they'll last you 7 years.

20. Miharu macrumors 6502

Miharu

Godsdammit, I really want that PS4 later this year, even though I don't really know even why. Maybe the new Assassin's Creed game? Titanfall looks fun but I've gotten pretty badly brainwashed about the Xboxes graphical quality. I cannot afford all three consoles at the moment and I'm certain to get most out of the PS4. I just know I'll get a really loud unit...

21. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

I dont watch that show but laughed when I saw what that was in reference to.

22. blesscheese macrumors 6502a

blesscheese

Agreed!

I don't normally pre-order games, but I saw the Mario Kart screenshots yesterday, and I *had* to pre-order it...it would be a sad May 30th if I went to the store, and they were sold out. What would I do? :eek:

23. thadoggfather Suspended

thadoggfather

I was disappointed when Xbox one was announced between price and draconian drm plan.

But since price drop and scaling back on drm and giving it a try, I really really like it as well!

Pleasantly surprised.

This console will be a different animal over time. Remember how many major dash updates 360 got?

24. Cnasty thread starter macrumors 68020

Cnasty

Trying to hold out until after E3 and a price drop.

TRYING!