2 possibilities for the iwalk videos

GeeYouEye

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2001
State of Denial
1. the iwalk is fake, and spymac is using it to get people to register. More registered users means better figures they can show to potential advertisers. Note that there is not a single ad on that page except for a "your ad here"

2. the iwalk is real, but they fudged up the movies on purpose (specifically: changed OS, screen jerking, scroll wheel problems, etc.) in order to get close enough to the mark to alert people to it, but not so close that Apple would slap them with a Cease and Desist. In this scenario, Apple legal would think "all right, so they got a case. the rest is wrong. let's not bother with them." In other words, to make Apple think the exact same thing we are

Given the fact that you have to register to see anything leads me to believe that the first scenario is true, but the second is not out of the realm of possibility. Any thoughts?

B

Beej

I'm surprised they haven't got a cease and desist... Apple gives them out even if you're somewhere near. I know, I've got one :) I guess this means they're nowhere near.

adelaney

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
Option 2 not possible

Apple has been known to send Cease and Desists simply to create more confusion, forcing hoaxes to be withdrawn just so people wouldn't know something was genuine if a Cease and Desist was released. Therefore doctoring an actual product to make it look fake would not be likely to influence Apple Legal's decision. For them not to issue a Cease and Desist of an actual product (no matter what the form) would be a major policy change...however _that_ is possible. With all the positive hype Apple is trying to generate they might have decided to keep the legal stuff a lower priority simply so they could keep everyone happy. But spending time doctoring actual video of an actual product to shake off Apple Legal would be retarded...

...only three more nailbiting days 'til Christmas.

holmesf

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2001
They just took the footage off. Cease and desist! That one had a longer run than most.

adelaney

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2001
Fishy fishy

Yeah, footage is off and now they admit the first wasn't real. That they _did_ make a mockup but that after that they used a real one. Funny how they didn't mention that before...also funny how they covered their ass by saying it wouldn't come out Monday but was still real. Does anyone have access to finding out when the domain spymac.com was registered?

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
haha guess we know the people who own that domain frequent the macrumors forums eh?

haha lewsaz

p.s. congrats to me, i wish the hatman was here to see, he was the first one to welcome me :D

thx macboy

DannyZR2

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2001
Texas
mr. hat

sparkley.. it is good to see you as a seniormember. congrats! sorry i missed it..

i too am sure mr. hat would have congratulated you as well. he is still around you know.. and i can't remember his new name.. but he's out there..

late

sparkleytone

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2001
Greensboro, NC
networkman is his new name...and thank you very much...i think the majority of my seniority comes from the last 12 hrs. i had been slacking lately thru the holidays.

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Originally posted by holmesf
They just took the footage off. Cease and desist! That one had a longer run than most.
Errrr.... the SpyMac guy no doubt reads the same forums as the rest of us. He has to have noticed that one of the easiest things he can do to try to lend himself credibility is to claim Apple's legal department has sent him a love letter.

We all would love to see a mind-blowingly cool Apple PDA, but don't let that blind you to the obvious. That device is utter BS, and the fact that it's something you'd really LIKE to be true doesn't change anything.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It is NOT a sony clie...

the Sony Clie is about 1/2 the size of the object in the video

amichalo

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2001
Sony needs help from Steve

Steve needs to send some of his design guys/gals to help Sony with the greenish-yello snow flake crap in their ad.