2 Q's: MBP Redesign and USB 3.0

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Z1NX, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Z1NX macrumors member

Guys,

1st Q:
    I know a speed bump is due sometime in January/February, but when do you think we'll see a redesign? Maybe the speed bumped version maybe redesigned? Or do you think we won't be seeing one for a few years now?

2nd Q:
    Do you think this MBP coming out in Q1 2010 will have USB 3.0? If it doesn't, that might stop me from getting it now, and waiting for the next update. We WILL need the 3.0 speeds, especially in the future!

Thanks,
    Stef x

2. melman101 macrumors 68030

I'm going to give you the answers mostly everyone will give you on this forum.

1. No one knows.
    2. No one knows.

LOL

My take

1. I don't think so. We just got the unibodies. I think they would be crazy for a redesign after all the money they invested into the unibody. This model just came out, redesign, probably not for years.

2. USB 3.0 in 1st Quarter. Definitely not. I can almost say that with 100% certainty. Due to the fact Apple uses Intel Mainboards, and Intel said they aren't putting USB 3.0 into their stuff till 2011.
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/10/22/may.slow.adoption.of.important.tech/

Edit: Oh and also, it's not just a minor speedbump coming. People are anticipating a new processor line which would make the machine quite faster. No one knows if that's coming Q1 2010 or a little while down the line.

3. borcanm macrumors regular

1. No
    2. No

It sucks but its the best guess of what will happen.

4. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

1. I don't think so
    2. Yes, but you never know, what Apple will do... the have the Intel thing called Lightpeak or whatever it was. Apple was always a company who had his own "standards"... ADB port for Keyboards, ADC port for monitors, Mini Displayport (however, thisone is finally an industry standard), etc.

5. Takashi macrumors regular

6. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

why is everybody asking for a redesign?
    i mean, is it just because people always want something new?
    the unibodys just came out, and they're really really good.
    the only "redesign" i can possibly see apple making is maybe changing the type of metal they use or something to be more scratch/dent resistant.
    i doubt they'll change the design whatsoever for a long long long time, because i doubt they'll find something better.
    they just redesigned the plastic macbook to be the exact same, so they obviously really like this design.
    i just wish the metal was different.

7. vant macrumors 65816

USB3 is on its way out, light peak will most likely replace it.

8. toke lahti macrumors 68000

Maybe not, but that is totally wrong reason.
    Apple is fully capable of using other vendors chips than intel.
    Just checked from ifixit's teardown that Apple uses LSI's fw chip in 13" MBP.
    If they can use other vendors for fw why not for usb3?

Or maybe usb3 licencing is really a bag of hurt...

9. codo macrumors 6502

I personally don't see anything too revolutionary other than the likely update of the CPU/GPU.

For me, the current generation MBPs are absolutely sufficient... So I got one! 15 in 2.66 MacBook Pro ordered on Saturday, delivered on Monday, sitting at home, although my partner won't let me open it until Christmas day... Damn Christmas presents!

10. MrBrekke macrumors 6502

MrBrekke

just my guess:

USB 3.... not coming to a mac near you.
    Light peek is coming Apple and Intel is pushing it.

new processors is coming. looks like a good performance boost.

redesign.. nope not going to happen any time soon. Apple is going the "green" way with this unibody (it is really a nice design) might be that they round the edges a bit.. (hoping for that)