2 Questions for Gen 1 Users...(yes I still have an Original)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tigres, May 26, 2009.

1. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Hi all;

After scrubbing the threads; I have a couple of questions for those who actually skipped the 3g like myself.

1. Who has noticed that the edge network has seriously deteriorated over the past year? I noticed the other day that it took my phone about 1-2 min. to send a 3k email with "more bars" :eek: This of course has become a common occurrence. Now granted, I do not spend much time on edge, however it used to be livable; I personally sense that this has been throttled down to force me to consider the 3G. Just my opinion.

2. Who has a 1st gen, and never even considered upping to the 3G for the: a) poorer build, b) 15.00 higher rate plan... etc.

Thanks all. Looking forward to input with your edge findings.:cool:

2. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

1. EDGE is actually fast enough around where I usually use it, but I was in San Jose over the weekend and it was almost completely unusable.

2. I didn't even consider the 3G because 3G wasn't available in the areas I usually use my phone in and it would have been a waste of money. GPS didn't matter to me. If the pricing had been the same I would have gotten one. 3G is available here now though and if the new iPhone has better hardware AND flexible data plans, I probably will get one.

3. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Well i still have my iPhone from August of 07' and have not noticed any changes nor had any issues with dropped calls or slow service. Still looks great and i use it a LOT ! Battery still holds all day as well and I thought for sure it would have died out by now.
    My girlfriend moved up to the 3G iphone and we still check every now and then the speed. We make sure she is on 3G and I am on Edge and we load up cnn.com. Results are always the same. 3G loads about 10 seconds faster. So I never updated as I figured the differance was not enough for me to do it. Knowing there might be a new phone this June makes me glad I waited. Also we only saw an extra $10 fee for her 3G ... where did you get $15 from ?

Last i will say that seeing the plastic cracks in so many phones kept me away as well. Hers has no cracks, 8gig in black, and she got it last October.

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

1) it has been reported that AT&T has been switching EDGE equipment over to 3G, not so much to force people to switch but because they need the 3G capacity. My edge connection (Boston) remains good though.

2) I did consider the 3G but was ultimately dissuaded by the combination of the higher monthly fees and the fact that 3G buyers will not be eligible for the full upgrade on the new model.

5. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

1. I have found EDGE speeds to be slower in some areas, and surprisely faster in others. I have read that AT&T degraded the EDGE network in favor of faster 3G speeds.

2. The additional $15.00 was not a consideration, but the horrible, unattractive plastic was the primary reason I did not get the 3G, and did not consider purchasing 3G for even a nanosecond.

6. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

I just got my 3G in January of 2009, and I am eligible for an upgrade so I am going to use that for the next iPhone. I love when cell companies make mistakes.

7. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

tigres

$10 for the data plan
    $5 for the text messaging they took away ;)

8. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

Got ya... we have the family plan for text messaging... thanks

9. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

The main reason I kept my original versus upgrading was the fact that the 3G was just a small upgrade. It didn't offer enough to warrant the upgrade.

And yes, I've noticed Edge getting nefariously slower in the Denver area.

10. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

I'm still using a 1st gen iPhone.

1) I think it really depends on the area, not just city.

2) I didn't upgrade because of initial price, no gotta haves in the new functionality, and the additional per month fees.

11. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

Yay 1st gen!!!! If it 'aint broke, then don't fix it!

1. I have not noticed any change in the EDGE network in the Denver area. Probably just depends on the area. My gf has the 3G and it has seen improved 3G.

2. I didn't upgrade because there was nothing wrong with my 1st gen! Oh well i dont get GPS, i have a stand alone GPS unit. The 3G is cool, but I hate the extra fee for it, plus I am usually around Wi-Fi anyway.

What is going to get me is if there is a 3rd generation announced in June. I think I am ready to upgrade if they have a few more cool functions and faster 3.5G, but I will have a hard time upgrading since there really is nothing wrong with my 1st gen iPhone!

12. brh12 macrumors newbie

I still have the original iphone and my wife has the 3G and there is only a 7-10 second difference when loading a neutral URL simultaneously.

We live in West Des Moines, Iowa and didn't get 3G service until the middle of November. So, I didn't upgrade when the 3G iphone came out because I figured there would be another iphone release this summer or the kinks would be worked out of the 3G. EDGE still works great here but I did notice terrible connections in Minneapolis in March.

Plus, I like the grey aluminum back better than the black shiny plastic backing.

I will be getting the new iphone this summer, pending of course the numerous rumors are true.

13. iphoneCraze1080 macrumors newbie

I still have the 1st gen...got it on oct 2007. I like it except for the fact that it is edge and i dont receive calls when i use the edge network. Wish there was a priority settings to make the network disconnect when a call comes up. But notifications should solve most of my problems.

I will continue to have the 1st gen iphone until apple shows up with a really revolutionary iphone. But that might not be enough, they should make it as sturdy as my 1st gen. My iphone has handled a lot of rough use. Only minor scratches so far and I can live with that.

1st gen iPhone rocks and hoping Apple can make something really better for me to change.

14. jc1350 macrumors 6502a

1. I noticed a major slow-down in EDGE speed/performance. I don't care why, I just know I've noticed it and don't like it.

2. I didn't consider the 3G no so much for the additional $15/month, but the overall cost AND that my 2G phone cost $300US. To upgrade this soon would have been a pure waste of money. Other than the reduced EDGE performance, there's nothing wrong with the 1st Gen iPhone.

Now, depending on the cost, design, build-quality, I expect I'll get the new iPhone...whenever it may be released.

15. chox99 macrumors regular

1. EDGE strength in my area is still very good. (I live/work near Tower) Haven't noticed changes but again my area might not rolled EDGE to 1900 yet.

2. I skipped 3G for couple of reasons. $15 higher fee for one as I don't use data much anyway. Build quality is definately poorer compare to origianl. and I like the look of 2G. I hope next iphone has aluminum-like back casing.

16. Vegastouch macrumors 603

Vegastouch

EDGE is the same for me and i have a first gen. Dont have AT&T, i have T-Mobile and the $6.00 internet. It isnt fast but for $6.00, i wont complain because i cant get 3G to work on mine and i dont want to pay the $25.00 or $35.00 if i could. Dont use enough to warrant paying that.
    I also think my first gen is a better built/running phone.

My biggest beef with ther first gen is the speaker sucks and isnt loud enough but ive been around 2nd gen iPods with 2 speakers and it isnt very loud either.

17. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

1st Gen is superior to the 3G, in build, cheapness ($78 v $63), sturdyness and looks, 'nuff said.

I still carry my trusted 1st Gen and I am not willing to give it up.

18. Shabbis macrumors regular

I purchased my EDGE iPhone on June 29, 2007 and am still using it today. This is the first phone that I've ever kept this long. The battery still gets me thru the day, unless I play a game or two for a while, the battery really goes fast then. What did happen to all those complaints about iPhones turning into bricks after a year since you cannot swap the battery (easily)?

EDGE around here is about the same, but I rarely use the phone for heavy data unless I am in a wifi spot.

I will upgrade to the next iPhone this summer, the 3G update just was significant enough for me to upgrade at the time.

19. tigres thread starter macrumors 68040

tigres

I agree with the 3rd gen being a good contender for upgrade. I just hope they don't stick it to on plans, or I will jump ship to T-mobile with my wife & son. They get the 5.99 data plan, as fast as my edge (actually t-mobiles is faster here.)

20. Revelation78 macrumors 68000

Revelation78

Ah, a fellow Coloradan! Let me know if you plan to make it on release day. I, myself will will hangout at the Park Meadows Apple store or maybe even the new one in Cherry Creek.

21. Ding.Dong macrumors regular

I haven't noticed any slow downs here in LA. I was planning on getting the 3G when it came out, but I heard the reports of lines and long waits at stores so I figured I'd wait a few weeks and then buy one. I ended up waiting so long that I eventually decided to just wait for the new one.

22. iansilv macrumors 6502a

I have skipped the 3g because it did not seem like enough of a motivation to upgrade from the 1st gen. Now this next one- yeah I think I will be upgrading right away.

23. John89 macrumors regular

I still have my 1st gen iPhone too.
    As soon as i saw the plastic back, I said no. I tend to 'drop' my phone a lot, the plastic back would have shattered within weeks!!
    You should see the state of my current iPhone!

24. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Second this, plus the facts that 2.0 was available for the first gen and turn-by-turn navigation wasn't available for the GPS yet.