2 Run Tracking apps at once?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by StuMcBill, Aug 24, 2016.

1. StuMcBill macrumors 6502

Hi,

I'm thinking about getting an AW2 if it has GPS, however, I have a question regarding run tracking. This is probably valid for AW1 too. I did have an AW1 for a while but never tried this.

When I go out for a run (with a TomTom GPS watch), all my friends use Runtastic to track runs, so I normally used that to track everything, however, all my workmates use Strava so I have been manually updating each so I stay in the leaderboard for both.

With the AW, is there a way to have 2 run tracking apps running at the same time? Presumably it would drain battery pretty quickly?

Thanks
    Stewart

2. Julien, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016

Julien macrumors G3

Julien

**No but you can run an App (or more than 1) on your iPhone only while running one on your :apple:Watch (been doing this since launch). Also current :apple:Watch *apps are not very good on the :apple:Watch. We will need to wait and see as they are updated to wOS3.

*Niki+ (NRC) just got an update that is probably wOS3 ready: CLICK http://forums.macrumors.com/threads...ally-updated-with-full-watch-support.1989539/

**EDIT: After a little research it looks like it may be possible to have more than one fitness app running and gathering data from the :apple:Watch. Of course the apps will need a BIG update for this and GPS is still a big unknown and only a rumor at this time.

3. Bob190 macrumors 6502

You can always use an app like RunGap to share your runs with about any service including Strava and Runtastic. It doesn't matter which app recorded the run.

4. StuMcBill thread starter macrumors 6502

So do you run RunGap on the watch, or use Runtastic on the watch and that will automatically update Strava as well?

5. wx4olf macrumors regular

wx4olf

I use iSmoothrun on both the phone and watch (the watch in the case acts more like a display than a stand alone app) and when the workout is completed/saved on the phone I have it configured to automatically export the workout to Strava. I'm not familiar with RunGap but I imagine it has similar automatic export functionality.

6. Bob190 macrumors 6502

No, RunGap is just an app that aggregates the run data and then allows you send it anywhere. You can run either Strava or Runtastic on the watch and phone, and then it will sync to RunGap and then you can send it to the other service.

Personally, I hate running with my phone, so I just run with the AW only (or with my Garmin Vivoactive). RunGap will then import the data from Apple Health, format as a .TCX or .FIT file and then sync it Strava and Garmin Connect (the services I use).

7. StuMcBill thread starter macrumors 6502

Ah I see, that makes perfect sense!

Thanks

8. mikzn macrumors 6502

mikzn

[QUOTE="StuMcBill, post: 23276058, member: 593541"With the AW, is there a way to have 2 run tracking apps running at the same time? Presumably it would drain battery pretty quickly?[/QUOTE]

Am using apple workout app and Abvio Runmeter and they can both run fine at the same time on apple watch - the downside is they record as separate workouts in the Health app.

I am mostly using Runmeter Elite and like it better than most of the apps I have tried for AW - good work out history on the iPhone and it emails a link to the workout stats to my Mac and also a link to download the .TCX file of the workout that can be imported to other tracking software.

9. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Thanks for mentioning RunGap. I downloaded it and started using it. I'm not able to see any evidence it can display anything from the health app but I connected it to Garmin Connect and it appears to be working fine. I already have Garmin connect wired to Mapmyrun so I don't need a third party app for that. Still, I'm glad I found out about Rungap. Thanks again!

10. Bob190 macrumors 6502

If you go to Accounts and Settings and click Add Acount... for Health, it will sync all of our Workouts completed using the AW Workout app to RunGap. From there, you can share with Strava, Garmin Connect, etc. Make sure you have the latest version as that was just recently introduced.

IMG_1026[1].PNG

11. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

Thanks for the clarification. I just un-paired and wiped my AW in preparation for giving it to my daughter. Perhaps I might decide to give iPhone running apps another chance, but I've decided to stick with my Garmin FR235 for everyday use because it works so well for running.

My usage is not "normal" because I run 2,000+ miles a year so having a dedicated running watch is more of a priority for me than all the "nice to haves" of AW. Maybe when a future AW comes out I'll consider getting one again but for the foreseeable future I'm done with AW. I would still recommend it for the average user but I will continue to strongly caution anybody that asks me about running with AW.