2 SSD's and one HDD in iMac 2011 27 possible ?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CHSeifert, Jun 14, 2011.

1. CHSeifert, Jun 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011

CHSeifert macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Just about to receive my BTO 27 iMac 256 SSD & 2 TB HDD.

Now that people have received theirs and conclude apple continue to use the old SATA II SSD's, I would like to purchase a Vertex 3 SATA III 240 gb drive - while still keep the DVD drive and both the original SSD and HDD - is this possible at all ?

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

That is not possible, as there are only three SATA ports in the iMac.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Please do nothing but wait and see what t-bolt does for you. Take a look at these photos I found them on Flicker

Attached Files:

4. Meever macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8E200)

Couldn't you split a esata? Since adding the ssd+7200 rpm drive wouldn't be bottle necked by the 6gb cap? And then give the vertex 2 it's own esata?

Sounds overly complicated though.

And using SSS for storage seems like a waste....

5. CHSeifert, Jun 14, 2011

CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

I won't use SSD for storage but would like to install my OSx Lion (soon) and Win 7 + all my programs on the fast SATA III Vertex 3 ( disappointed I had to wait weeks for the BTO SSD 27 iMac just to get an old SATA II SSD old tech drive from Apple :( )

Will then use the SATA II APPLE 256 GB SSD (probably a Toshiba or Samsung SSD) and install my most often used files on this drive.

What I call storage files - music, movies and videos and my huge photo archive - will be on my 2 TB HDD and also backed up twice - one copy on my 2 TB TimeCapsule and another copy on my 2 TB WD StudioEdition external HDD :)

Just looking to maximise the speed on my new and soon to be arriving iMac 27 Ultimate machine !

I also consider the SATA split option - having the SATA II 2 TB HDD and the Apple 256 GB Apple SATA II SSD on the split, but will need power for both drives - not sure the split will deliver other than data, no power.

I build pc's - am totally new to iMacs. But intend to maximise this beast into a harddrive/SSD monster ;)

6. CHSeifert, Jun 14, 2011

CHSeifert thread starter macrumors 6502

CHSeifert

Oki - but not sure you can boot from TB SSD drives - are you ?

Need a fast SATA III Vertex 3 240 GB SSD to boot from or even better a TB SSD drive as you suggest. Just not sure you can boot from external TB SSD drives :)

7. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

As said above, not possible. You could however go 2x SSD's and 1x HDD internally, and get an external DVD/BD drive.

8. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

You can't split the SATA ports themselves; each SATA port is assigned to a logical device (in this case, one drive each).

9. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2