iPad 2 to 4, will I notice a big difference with Retina?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by c14nhl, Oct 30, 2012.

1. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Hi all,

I'm upgrading my iPad 2 to the 4th gen iPad. I've yet to see an iPad with retina display. I've never once looked at my 2 and think that the screen was bad, is there really a big difference between the 2?

2. GunZi macrumors 6502

i have the ipad 3. when i first looked on the ipad 2, i didnt think the display was bad until i got myself and saw the ipad 3 in store. ipad retina display is almost the same as the iphone screen clarity except its bigger (ofcourse the iphone screen does technically have better PPI)

3. monaarts macrumors 65816

Yes and no... for general stuff like pictures, movies, and games you will notice a little bit of a difference. For things that involve reading (books, web, etc) you will notice a HUGE difference! ;)

4. LouieSamman macrumors 6502a

LouieSamman

OH YEAH! Richer colors, sharper everything!

5. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Thanks for all the quick replies everyone.

I've always had the latest iPhone so know how much I love retina. I've at times picked up my phone to read books instead of my iPad due to the difference with text. Without a doubt the main reason I'm looking forward to having it on the iPad.

6. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

You'll notice a huge difference. You no doubt think your iPad 2 screen is the bees knees (i certainly did) but when you switch a Retina iPad on and put it next to a non-retina model the difference really is striking.

Any comparisons you see on the internet really can't do it justice, as the screen you're currently looking at (if a desktop or laptop) is much lower res than a retina iPad.

7. Cobster macrumors member

Not much... And after a short while ... No....you will probably not notice anything at all....
    Only if you are a total screen geek... ;-)

8. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

You're gonna notice the weight!
    I love using my iPad 2 because the weight is just about right, I tried an iPad 3 on launch, but returned it. The screen was gorgeous! But it was a little heavy.

I know I need to hit the gym...but .3 lbs or so makes a difference after extended periods.

9. glen e macrumors 68030

yes, I can see the difference...did it make a HUGE diff between my ipad2 and 3?

Not for me...even reading...

10. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

It depends. Many people (including me) didn't see that big of a difference. It was very subtle. Other people have X-ray vision and can detect even the most minute pixel density disparity, to the point the iPad 2 gives them headaches.

Its up to you, you will have to see them side by side and decide.

11. Jord5i macrumors member

Honestly I doubt it. In theory it sounds great, but when I see a 2 and 3 in the store next to eachother, without any obvious signs saying which is which, I have a hard time seeing which actually has the Retina display. Only when putting brightness on 100% you can sortof see it.

Imo people are overexcited about it, it's a great display, definitely the future, but the difference isn't as big as some people make you believe it is.

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

The difference between the 2 and 3 (or 4) is not .3 pounds (which would be 5 ounces), it's about 1.7 ounces.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes. It's a Yuuuuuuge difference. Seriously, if you look at the Retina it will be hard to look at the iPad 2's screen ever again. Right now, as a 2 user you probably don't notice the pixels. But after you use a Retina then look at a 2 it's as if you have x-ray vision and all the pixels just pop up at you. Enjoy.

14. steve dave macrumors 6502a

I have many people tell me they barely see a difference between the screen on an ipad 2 and 3.

15. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

These people who can't tell the difference, have they had their eyes tested? The definition of Retina is pixels so small you can't see them from a normal working distance (closer for an iPhone than a Mac). Maybe those with poor vision can't see the pixels on a non-Retina display, and therefore, for them, it is a Retina display... :rolleyes:

I paid the price of 10 iPads :eek: for laser eye surgery, I now have 20-20 vision in one eye, and better than that in the other. I can see the difference, and for text especially, it is huge.

16. Bokes macrumors 6502

To me- it's similar to Standard Def vs HD.
    It's nice.

17. Selfdestrukt macrumors member

Unless you keep your ipad retina absolutely free of fingerprints , you probably won't notice too much aside from the time you first get it. The novelty wears off fast

Once a layer of finger prints form the retina benefit disappears IMHO

But good job to wait for 4 rather than the getting the 3 as I and many others did ... If I could take back time I'd keep my 2 and waited for the 4...same year update **** you apple

18. rbrian macrumors 6502a

rbrian

That may be true, but once you catch sight of an old non-Retina iPad, the novelty comes right back!

19. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

They should have gone to specsavers! ;)

20. bcc212 macrumors member

I honestly don't care what anyone says. But for me, it was marginal. By that I mean that the only real difference I spotted was the text being more crisp. The actual image quality from a decent viewing range was the same on the Ipad 2. The colours are much more true to life on the Ipad 2.

That is my opinion really!

21. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

if you're reading for more than half hr, I think it makes huge difference! the sharp text to my eyes matters. headache no headache. :D

22. BaBaBoooooooey macrumors regular

BaBaBoooooooey

Im the same, dont get me wrong, there is a difference. but its really not that big of a deal. an example being, when Jimmy Kimmel took an ipad 2 in the streets and told everyone it was an ipad 3, they were Wow'd and said its sooo clear...
    so its all a matter of perception.

23. bcc212 macrumors member

I also didn't like the fact it took forever to charge, got very hot and basically cost £100 more for something that was clearly *no pun intended* not that bigger deal.

24. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

I can definitely tell the difference. I had an iPad 1 and when I got the 3 it was amazing how clear text and pictures were. I couldn't go back to a low res. for those complaining about the weight I think you all need to go hit the gym more often!

25. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

Retina screen vs iPad 2 screen is night and day.