2 weeks and my wife dropped her iPhone already

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by krye, Aug 3, 2008.

1. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I can't believe it's been two weeks and my wife dropped her iPhone already. Not a total loss, but she scuffed up the bezel and put a little chip in the glass. So her $300 marvel of engineering looks like crap now.

She forgot it was in her shirt pocket and bent over to pick something up. It fell out of her pocket and hit the floor.

So this serves as a word of caution. Be careful with your iPhones...or put it in a case.

Attached Files:

2. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

3. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Ouch that was a pretty bad drop..

4. gcmexico macrumors 6502a

gcmexico

wow those are some scratches!! if you don't mind me asking, how did she drop it, what was she doing?

5. packetjunkie macrumors regular

So let's say your wife killed the phone by dropping it; what would Apple change us to replace it? The full $200 premium over the lower price?

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

I brought my wife a case and a screen protector before the iphone 3g arrived

May, that sucks. Brand new $300 iphone (really $600-700 phone unsubsidized) and she drops it.

Does she have a history of damaging cell phones?

My new wife has an extensive track record of damaging all electronic equipment. She's basically ruin 3 cell phones in the 4 years since we've been together.

So when I ordered her the white iPhone, I made sure she got a good silicone case with padding on the side and a screen protector. She's dropped the iphone in the house on 3 occasions that I've seen (maybe more when I'm not around) but no damage. She dropped it once (from about 1-2 feet on the concrete) outside when bending down and it fell out of her purse. Lucky no damage.

So your pic is worth a thousand words to all the men out there with wives/GF's who mistreat electronic equipment. Get a case ASAP.

7. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

you should see what the cost is to fix/replace it from Apple. I was at the store the other day and a guy brought in a 1st gen iphone. They told him it had water damage and that he could replace it with another 1st gen for $200. I'm not sure if the same holds true for the 3g.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You wanna hear some bad luck with electronics? I bought my ex her first iPod video and not even a week later she drops it in a cup of beer her brother had left in the cupholder (she was using her brothers jeep). Of course it was his fault.

After that was her digital camera that she somehow dropped in MY cup of beer at our Halloween party. I didn't let her blame that one on me. It was one of those "how the hell is that even possible" type situations.

The straw that broke the camels back was when I let her use my blackberry after she broke her phone (pre-iPhone for me so I was still thrilled about it). She dropped it from about chest height in her kitchen and it somehow landed fully submerged in a bowl of water that we had put out for our dog. Another "HTHDTH" moment.

Fast forward to now. The refurb I bought for my girl had two major scratches in the glass and countless others on the rest. If it happens with this one the lesson is considered written in stone in my book: once an abuser, always an abuser. Leave the free phones for em!

9. ki2594 macrumors 6502a

lol my sister dropped mine on the concrete even though im UNBELIEVABLY careful. Luckily i have an iSee hardshell case on it so the phone didn't get damaged other then maybe a knick but the case was just a little bit scratched.

that really sucks though.

10. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

Time to serve her with divorce papers!!! :p

Of course I'm kidding, accidents happen - move on.... ;)

11. njchris macrumors regular

njchris

Good idea to have beer in a cup in YOUR CAR!!!

I don't know who has less brain cells in this situation.

12. carve macrumors 6502a

carve

13. mntentman macrumors regular

Never, ever out the phone in a shirt pocket. It will always fall out.

14. vrflyer macrumors 6502

vrflyer

That's an awfully funny reply!:D

15. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Man, all these post "my wife..." "my girlfriend..." I'm starting to think all you guys just can't admit you were careless! :p

16. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

You're right! And from here on we won't be so careless as to spend money on electronics for the ladies! :eek: :p

17. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I was actually understanding because before I got my current car that has a perfect spot for my phone on the door my cupholders were my dock of choice in the car. It became habit to just throw my phone in there but I'm not sure I couldve missed a cup filled with liquid... I could really go either way with it.

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Haha, touché!!!! I'm glad I bought my own! :)

To the OP, ouch! There are plenty of cases out there that will hide the abrasions on the side and are stylish. Tough break!

19. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I agree. I always put my iPhone in my pants pocket, and it has been well protected. I dropped my old one after about 11 months - because I was carrying it outside of my pocket.

Drops onto concrete are terrible on iPhones (or any phone)...

I try to be always conscious of where I have my phone when I get in or out of my car, since that is when I have the most exposure...

20. schatzie macrumors member

Man! What's up with all these posts with your wives/girlfriends dropping the iPhones by bending over. I need to have my wife drop my iphone more often. Hehehehe

21. Bonnie macrumors member

My boyfriend and I both got iPhone 3Gs. He got a black 16gb, I got a white 16gb.

I'm fairly certain I'll damage mine before he damages his....I'm clumsy... :-/

22. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I must admit I am somewhat shocked too to see so many wife/girlfriend dropping threads. :D

As for that drop, that is bad but it isn't the end of the world. I have my original iPhone and dropped it like that and have a few of those types on the back and 1-2 on the sides

Life goes on and the phone still works and feels/looks great

Just stay away from cracking the screen

23. CharQuake macrumors member

you can't let women have iPhones next thing you know they'll be off trying to be president