2 weeks from laser eye surgery...what to expect?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MovieCutter, Jun 15, 2010.

1. MovieCutter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

So I'm FINALLY getting laser eye surgery. I'm 26, with pretty bad eyes, and I'm a shooter/editor so I gotta do what I can to see the best I can. Luckily my boss is good friends with one of the top surgeons in Atlanta so at the end of June, I'm getting free laser eye surgery! Has anyone else had it done? What should I expect? How long is there discomfort? Any other noticeable changes before and after aside from the office. My boss was telling me that some people see more vibrant color afterwards. Just curious :cool:

2. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

When anyone has eye laser treatment I always think of that scene from that 'A Clockwork Orange', Stanley Kubrick, 1971, film. ;)

[​IMG]

3. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

4. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Okay, well, first, it's important that during the surgery your eyes stay steady, so what they do is to lead you into a little room with no windows and lie you down on a concrete slab. If it gets cold, they'll give you a blanket. There's a fixture there that bolts your head to the table so it doesn't move, but the really important thing is keeping your eyes still, so they have these little fishing lines attached to the table, which are then affixed to your eyeballs using tiny staples. Many people think the staples are the most uncomfortable part of the procedure, right up until they wheel the "laser" in. I say "laser" because it's less of a laser and more of a needle. They call it a laser because of the laser-like color on account of how hot it is. Now what they're going to do at this point is start scraping your cornea into a normal shape, sort of like a sculptor with chisel, but much more precise and painful. Because anesthetic would dilate your pupils and change the shape of your eye unnaturally, it goes without saying you can't have any. If you like, however, they will stuff your blanket into your mouth to stop you screaming. They will likely do that anyway, because it's really hard for the doctor to concentrate with somebody screaming "oh god stop or kill me" in your ear constantly for an entire four-hour procedure. Well, not really in his ear as such, as he'll be behind the lead shield, but it's still annoying. See, doing a bunch of procedures every year would expose the doctor to too much radiation, naturally, but gamma rays are the easiest way to keep the surface of your eye sterile so you don't get a horrific infection. They'll make you sign a waiver because there is a slight chance you'll come out of the procedure with x-ray vision, and a much, much larger chance you'll come out with aggressive eyeball cancer. Assuming all goes well, though, in a mere six months when they peel the crusty bandages away from your eyes, assuming your eyes don't come away with them, you'll see as never before. With therapy you'll eventually learn to blink again and perhaps one day tolerate the daylight world of men though it is probably advisable to stock up on at least eighteen to 36 months worth of candles before you go in.

5. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

6. momnmore macrumors newbie

lasik eye surgery

I had it done 12 years ago, (now 13!) and was so nearsighted I wore glasses in the shower so I could shave! Make sure the doc is sound, then go for it! I had both done, never regretted it, and am now looking to see if I can get it done for my inability to read stuff that's close up!;)

7. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

I had both of my eyes done five years ago. Best decision I ever made. The thing that really struck me about the surgery is that as the doctor was making his cuts with the laser, I could actually tell that my vision was getting better. Right there on the table. Obviously, I couldn't look around to tell that my vision was getting better... but as I was focusing on the light, my peripheral vision kept getting clearer and clearer. The closest thing that I could liken it to is if you've ever swam with your eyes open underwater and then you pop back up to the surface... everything just became more focused. It really was amazing.

I was so stunned by my vision getting instantly better that after the surgery, I really couldn't tell if I was crying out of joy or from the surgery itself.

I don't know about everyone else, but for my surgery they gave me half of a valium... that helped me to stay really still. I also won't lie... the apparatus that they used to hold my eyes open and position it... that was insanely painful. The physician warned me that I would feel "some pressure"... that really didn't capture the sensation at all. I literally felt like an elephant in high heels was standing on my eye. Sorry. I wish it didn't, and I hope your procedure is different... but I kid you not, it hurt like a mother******.

That said, I would do it all over again if I had to... no questions asked. The pain was well worth the freedom from glasses and contacts. All the little things about having to wear glasses... they just go away. No more fumbling in the dark for your glasses if you wake up in the middle of the night... not having to worry about losing your contacts in the middle of exercising. Being able to wear non-prescription sunglasses. I now have 20/15 vision in my left eye and 20/20 vision in my right... so yeah, I think it was worth it.

I will say that I have some minor issues with glare when driving. I hesitate to say that it's because of the LASIK... maybe it's everyone driving SUVs and having elevated headlights, or maybe it's idiots driving with their high beams on at all times, or maybe it's those crazy high intensity headlights they're selling more and more. Is it possible that LASIK made me more sensitive to glare? Sure. But when I'm having some of those glare issues and I'm driving with my wife (who hasn't had LASIK and wears contacts 90% of the time), she's complaining about the glare just as much as me.

I'll say just this... good luck, I think you made a great decision, and I hope you enjoy your impending freedom. :)

8. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Best medical decision I ever made. I'm sure my long post about exactly what happens is in that thread mentioned above. And thanks to the poster with that great post a bit above! U make me laugh

9. rprebel macrumors 6502

rprebel

Before January 2000, I had 20/250 vision and an astigmatism so bad I almost couldn't wear contacts. Since then, I've had 20/15 vision and no astigmatism. Do the math.:)

10. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

I was a deadly night driver with glasses before my surgery. I had it done as part of my cataract procedure. I am astigmatic and they have implants for that now which are stitched in place of the removed lenses. It took three months to get the whole thing done one eye at a time. My vision was total crap from cleaning up the cataracts and very clear after the implants. Expect to use a lot of expensive eye drops at first and continue with sterile tears to keep them lubed up. As far as stress over the surgery goes, they give you good drugs and you no worry...

Some folks told me it would be regrettable in the long run, but I don't get it. I can drive with no glasses, and only use drug store readers for the paper.

Dale

11. determined09 macrumors 65816

determined09

Good for you! I'm happy that it worked out for.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My wife had horrible distant vision, did lasic 20 years ago or so and has been thrilled ever since. I remember something about an offer to do one eye for near vision and one for distance. I did not like that idea and don't know if they still offer that, but my reccomendation is to choose distance vision. She wears cheaters for reading but has 20-15 distant vision.