Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
I'm thinking about getting the Mac Pro with Leopard and deciding on the LCD setup.

1) Since the 30" is 2 x 23" in price, would it be better to get the dual or single LCD setup?

2) With Spaces in Leopard, do you think it is still necessary to have a dual monitor setup since Spaces is meant to eliminate clutter?

Thanks!

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
I have a 30 and a 20 and ran with them both for some time, but eventually I settled on just using the 30.

Either setup is good, but my vote would be for a single 30.

(and yes spaces does help, but my comments above are based on Tiger. I run leopard on a powerbook).

PCRanger

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2006
London, UK
I'd probably go for the two monitors, as I often like to watch something fullscreen on one monitor, whilst surfing and chatting on the other, but it depends what you're going to be doing!

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
I'm running dual monitors... and I can't praise it enough! Desktop extension is an absolutely critical addition to computing, IMO. (... Wow, that was a really nerdy sentence... :p)

Honestly, I don't think I'd ever want to go to using a single monitor again, no matter how large it might be. Personally, I'd choose two 20" monitors over the single 30"... so two 23" models should be a no-brainer.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have a 30" but my needs may differ from yours. The only time I use my 15" powerbook as a 2nd display is when i want to work and watch tv or movies. My work remote login is full screen, it forces the issue so having a 2nd display means I am entertained while working. I have a 20" LCD that I could hook up, but I have yet to see a need for it.

What exactly do you do?

bld44

macrumors 6502
Apr 21, 2007
It really depends on what you do. If your using it for professional uses (graphic design, web design, etc) I suggest the two 23s. However, if you're just using it to browse the web and watch movies, go with the 30".

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Thanks everyone for your feedback! :)

What exactly do you do?

Well I'm in Corp. Finance...that's my day job. Unfortunately, my work productivity is only limited to my work's notebook and a blackberry. The only time I would use my Mac for work is if I don't have my notebook and I need to download a file from my mailbox via web access.

Here is where my iMac comes to play. I do a lot of freelance photography. Lately, I've been doing a lot of pre-wedding slideshow movies and I think I'm pushing my iMac G5 to the limit and I need something faster like a Mac Pro. I do a lot of dvd ripping of my collection and video encoding for my :apple:tv. I also recently purchased an Intuos3 A5 wide graphics tablet to get back into painting/drawing.

I like the idea of dual monitors very much. I have my desktop extended to a 15" LCD from my 15" notebook at work. One LCD for Outlook and Messenger and the other for Excel etc. I find I'm very productive this way. But it's only 15" and a dual monitor setup in this config is almost compulsory.

Going to 30" seem to be enough real-estate to work on but it's the same price as 2 x 24". This is where I'm stuck on my decision. And with Spaces built in Leopard, it's suppose to eliminate opened apps/windows clutter. Anyone testing Leopard Spaces find this true and helpful?

Also, will the dual setup create more heat in my study and from the Mac Pro? Will I see my electricity bill go up by x% on a dual setup compared to if I were to go a single setup?

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
I have a 30 and a 20 and ran with them both for some time, but eventually I settled on just using the 30.

Either setup is good, but my vote would be for a single 30.

(and yes spaces does help, but my comments above are based on Tiger. I run leopard on a powerbook).

Thanks devman. May I know what is it that you do and your deciding factor to go for the 1 x 30"?

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004
I would go with the 30 inch screen. As you see in my sig, I have three of them on my Mac Pro at work, and I'm hooked on them. They are absolutely beautiful, and my productivity has soared since I got them.

At home we have the new 24 inch iMac. Don't laugh, but even the 24 inch screen looks somewhat small to me when I get home to do a little work/email in the evenings!

The 30 inch Apple monitors are wonderful. I would go for it. Either way, enjoy!

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
I did dual 23" screens for a while. It was fine, I just hated sitting in the middle of the bezels. You have to look to the side a little no matter what. I *really* like having stuff directly in front of me. I sold the 23s and got a 30" -- but it's just personal preference.

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
Thanks devman. May I know what is it that you do and your deciding factor to go for the 1 x 30"?

I have different work profiles (which is why spaces will be so cool - and Apple's implementation of them is very nice).

I do a lot of presentation and graphics work. So I'm in Keynote, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Omnigraffle.

I also do a lot of technical writing so I'm in Pages, Omnigraffle, Photoshop, and Illustrator.

I do development so I'm in xcode and IB.

Then there's general stuff - mail, safari, netnewswire.

In terms of going with just the 30, there was no single conscious factor. i.e. I didn't just decide one day. What happened was I had a PB15 and an ACD20 and I ran those dual head and it was great. Then I got a powermac with an ACD30 and I put the ACD20 on it as well and ran the powermac dual head. Over a period of time, I realised that I just wasn't using the 20. The 30 could handle all my windows and having that one surface right in front of me was just easier on the eye and felt easier to work with. And so, after a period of time, I disconnected the 20. Then after some more time I found I never needed to reconnect it and so I removed it altogether. I've been using just the 30 now for about a year.

I have a MBP17 now as my laptop and when I connect it to the ACD30, I never bother using the MBP17 screen (dual head). I ALWAYS run it lid closed and just use the ACD30.

Other people may have different needs, but this is what has worked out for me over 2-3 years.

notsofatjames

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2007
Wales, UK
I would go with the 30 inch screen. As you see in my sig, I have three of them on my Mac Pro at work, and I'm hooked on them. They are absolutely beautiful, and my productivity has soared since I got them.

At home we have the new 24 inch iMac. Don't laugh, but even the 24 inch screen looks somewhat small to me when I get home to do a little work/email in the evenings!

The 30 inch Apple monitors are wonderful. I would go for it. Either way, enjoy!

what do you do for a living that requires machines like that. and soo much screen space ? Or is 3x 30" just an extension of something.... ;)

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004

seany916

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2006
Southern California
Personally, I like the 30", and I used to run 2 20"s back in the day.

I prefer all my real estate on 1 lot. That said, I will be running a 30" & 23" just because we have them (on the MP when it is next bumped).

love the 30"

imacdaddy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2006
Thanks again for everyone's feedback! :)

I think I'm going to go with 1 x 30" ACD. I went to look at one at my local reseller and it's HUGE with plenty of real-estate.

I think I would have spent more in the long run with 2 x 23". For one, my desk is not big enough which would have needed a VESA mount arm for dual monitors which costs about $400 - $500.

THANK YOU! :)

mward333

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2004

I think I'm going to go with 1 x 30" ACD. I went to look at one at my local reseller and it's HUGE with plenty of real-estate.

I think I would have spent more in the long run with 2 x 23". For one, my desk is not big enough which would have needed a VESA mount arm for dual monitors which costs about $400 - $500.

Good decision. You won't regret it. The 30 inch monitor looks even bigger when you get it home. Seeing it at the store/reseller just can't replace the awesome feeling you get when you unbox the monitor back at home. It's a great feeling. Enjoy your new 30-incher!

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU

Enjoy! Post a pic here when you get it.

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
Ill support your decision. I hate the 23" personally, due to its color issues. I had 2 23"s, the color was so inconsistent I went to 2 20" which were great but a little too small. Also, having 2 widescreen monitors side by side can prove to be too wide on a desk. I now have a 30" and its the best setup of the bunch. It feels "too big" for about one day. You will love it!

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Personally, i think i would get a 30" display. From recently going from and old school 17" ADC LCD Display, to the more recent 20" Cinema Display, i have noticed that i haven't used the full screen yet.

I think you, depending what you are running app wise, you might run into the same thing. However, i also like watch movies or TV while i am working, so a second display would be nice. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.