2 years of waiting, 2 days to go!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Stevenup7002, Jul 29, 2007.

1. Stevenup7002 macrumors member

I'm so happy, After 2 years of wanting to buy a mac, my mom finally decided to pay for half of it. I am getting the Macbook 2.16GHz with 1 Gig of RAM, 120GB hard drive and Superdrive. This is my first time getting a mac, after using PC's for about 10 years. Anyone have any tips for me? Also, if theres anyone living in Ireland or the UK, how fast would a shipment take?

Thanks,
    -Steven :D:D:D

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

Congrats mate, i hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9900/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

congrats, i own that same machine (except its black) once you get your hands on a mac, you never go back. Enjoy!

4. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I just hope its not being delivered from Shangai or some place like that :confused: . It'll be a few years before it comes then XD. I'm gonna post a full quote of the tracker status after its been delievered, and post a video blog on youtube on how hard the wait is. Then again I'll probably be angry when it comes because I have nothing to look forward to :(.

-Steven :apple:

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

It most likely will come from somewhere like that, mine did. It did take a while to come, but wasn't at all unreasonable.

Hooray, another pointless video on youtube...:rolleyes:

6. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

Living in Raphoe Co. Donegal and shipping doesn't seem any slower here than when i got my first ibbok when i was in the UK. Approx 10 days from payment to opening the lid:):eek::D

Have fun

7. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

Aww that long? It says this:

Estimated dispatch date:30 Jul, 2007 - 31 Jul, 2007.

Estimated Delivery:02.08.2007.

So I have no idea..

Also this is a stock model, I havent customized it, will that help with the delivery time?

-Steven :apple:

8. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

9. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

Saying that the last one i ordered did have a 120gb drive so that could have added an extra couple of days..Just savior the smell when you first unpack it...lovely

10. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

11. blumoon macrumors member

Congrats Steven. I am planning on getting my first mac this summer too.
    Enjoy!

12. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

I just hope it works when I get it ;), btw, thought I should post the specs for you, just incase:

2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
    120GB Serial ATA @ 5400 rpm
    Superdrive 8x
    No Modem
    No Optional Software
    None
    Keyboard/Mac OS-B
    Country Kit-GBR

Total: 1,032.23
    Shipping Cost:
    Discount (Incl. in Total): 0.00
    VAT @ 21.00% : 216.77
    Order Total: 1,249.00

Currency: EUR
    Payment Method: Credit Card Visa/MCard

-----------------------

What the heck is the country kit all about?
    -Steven :eek:

13. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I ordered a custom iMac from Apple last October and I got it exactly one week after the date of purchase. Not bad to be coming from Cupertino California to Kentucky by FedEx Ground. It was the longest week of my life however.

14. scanlanlee macrumors member

scanlanlee

I think it means that we get a Euro symbol on our keyboard...:)

Once you have unpacked and fired up for the first time i would have a look through the apps and see what you think you will be using and then after a few days I re-install OS X - and leave out all the stuff i don't use (Garageband, extra languages, printer drivers for printers i don't have etc)
    It seems to make it a bit more personal...if you know what i mean...JMHO

15. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

Yay for the Euro symbol!!! WAIT! Does this mean we don't get a tiddle key? :eek: What about an Alt Gr key?

16. steamboat26 macrumors 65816

steamboat26

congrats, you are really gonna enjoy your new macbook. My sister just got one (i convinced her :D) and she loves it.
    Tips- no real point in buying a lot of software, theres enough freeware to replace almost any software you might need
    Openoffice or neoffice instead of Microsoft Office
    Gimp instead of Photoshop

BTW, my mini shipped from China (IIRC) and it didn't take that long, although i suppose i'll be a little while longer to across the pacific and atlantic, or across Asia and Europe (depending on the route of travel)

17. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

Hey, call me crazy, but I couldn't sleep all night, I was refreshing the apple order status page every 5 minutes, and having fantasies in bed just thinking about it. Anyway, just a few minutes ago, I'm happy to report, it now says:

That gives me a warm fuzzy feeling inside, that if it got to Ireland in 2 hours and went out for delivery, it would be at my house today, but thats an impossibility :D

-Steven :p

18. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

19. hyroboarder macrumors member

Yes if you haven't customized it then it should help by a few days. Estimated delivery: 2.8.07. I know in the States over here that would mean february second, but for most other parts of the world it's august 2nd. Sooo that's probably when you'll be getting it.

You are in the exact same situation as me buddy, I've been using pc's for about 10 years and it's days until I get the new imac (that should be coming out soon):) Good luck and don't forget to smell it!!

20. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

21. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

I wont, I'm smelling other things to calm me down, I probably shouldn't tell you what, because I'd probably get banned from the forum ;)

22. The Stig macrumors 6502a

The Stig

I love my MB, I hope you love yours too!!

The Stig

23. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

I will, I've even got a title for the unboxing movie: "Macbook II: It came from Shanghai" :D

24. neven macrumors 6502a

If it's being shipped by UPS, they're *usually* very accurate with their estimated delivery dates. If it didn't get delayed by Apple (out of stock at the target warehouse or something like that) then you will almost certainly get it when UPS says you'll get it.

Advice:

- When it arrives, open it alone, and slowly. Think of it as your "first time". Play some epic music in the background.
    - It'll be partially charged (maybe 50%) and ready to use, so feel free to mess with it right away. When you first boot it up, you'll go through a quick setup app called Mac Buddy. Fill out the info carefully - it'll be used in many places on your Mac, and some of it can't be changed easily later (account name, computer name).
    - Play with the apps that come with it before you decide to install any additional software. When I got my first Mac, I immediately installed Firefox and Thunderbird. Little did I know that I'd like Safari and Apple Mail much better.
    - Use Address Book and iCal. I know that sounds obvious, but many Mac users never even think to run these apps.
    - Have fun!

25. Stevenup7002 thread starter macrumors member

Oh no, the estimated date has changed to the first of August, I really hope that it comes tomorrow or the 2nd of August because my fathers 50th birthday party/retirement party falls on the 1st. How would I choose? My father or my macbook :(