Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TaviScratch76

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2020
Hey all, new to the forums here. I just picked up a 2005(ish) 20" Cinema Display off Facebook marketplace for my 2020 Mac mini and got it all hooked up only to find that the entire screen has this red hue to it. It was working just fine when the seller showed it to me before I purchased it. Although, I hadn't thought to take note of what adapters he was using to hook it up. I was wondering if maybe perhaps it was the DVI to HDMI adapter I had purchased that may be causing the red tint? I tried hooking it up in two configurations. I've tried straight into the DVI to HDMI to the mini, then I tried DVI to HDMI plugged into an HDMI to USB C adapter. I even tried using the latter of those methods on my MBA but no difference in the result. It seems more stable on the USB C adapter (it would cut out to this weird static snow picture when plugged straight into the machine using the DVI to HDMI) but both ways yield a red tint. I was thinking of trying to go with Apple's DVI to mini display port then daisy chaining that to a mini display port to USB C and seeing if that might work. I was wondering if anyone may have any insight on what adapters might work best for my setup? I've included some pics of what the monitor is doing. Hoping that this isn't a sign that it's dying. Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5360.jpeg
    IMG_5360.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 603
  • IMG_5361.jpeg
    IMG_5361.jpeg
    380.5 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_5362.jpeg
    IMG_5362.jpeg
    445.4 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_5372.jpeg
    IMG_5372.jpeg
    477.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_5396.jpeg
    IMG_5396.jpeg
    362.4 KB · Views: 82

macsound1

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2007
SF Bay Area
There are a bunch of different ways that DVI works and how they use all of those pins. The same goes for HDMI to Display port. Not sure about how Display Port works over USB C, but I'm assuming that this age of cinema display isn't actually using the digital part of DVI. So you might want to try finding a DVI to VGA adapter.
1604727480544.png

Alternatively, try a USB C to DVI adapter that people have tried on macs

for this

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2014
Looks like it's treated as a TV which uses a non-RGB color space.

I would try forcing RGB:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.