20" Cinema Screen - Discontinued

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by millypede, Feb 19, 2009.

1. millypede macrumors 6502

millypede

Apple have discontinued the 20" cinema screen this morning, so if you are wanting one, grab one whilst you still can!

2. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Thanks. Where did you hear that from? If so then I'd expect it to make the new on MR.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's just not in the store anymore.

Looks like I was right all along.

4. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

Great, could be another sign of new Cinema Displays coming soon.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Or just a dropping of the 20" line altogether.

The 30" will be updated with the Mac Pro, but I don't see the 20" coming back.

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I can't see them dropping the 20'', I have to be honest. Not unless it's replaced with something very similar in size and/or price.

7. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Not great, could be another sign of the Insanely Stupid mini-DisplayPort spreading to more Apple displays :(

8. Marsil macrumors member

I hope they know what they are doing... why don't they replace it? Also why not have a better option for 24" for the Mac Pros? Hmm....

9. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Because the next Mac Pro will have Mini DisplayPort out and will therefore work with the current 24" display.

10. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I can see Apple doing this. It's the new iPhone, iPod, and iPhone like 17" MBP Apple where $h!t gets done based on their money making schemes and the opinions of rich people that just f*&k around with their machines all day on Facebook.

I think it is good news ONLY because we may be able to find some 20" ACDs on the refurbed market, and the price will go down for us looking for them on the local used/Craigslist market.

Hopefully Apple will give us a new release of the 20" but as others have said I doubt it, and I am sure Apple wants people to get the 24" for $1000.

11. alexbates macrumors 65816

alexbates

I don't know. Many people I know have 15" screens on their computers and don't mind it being that small. I would much rather have a 30" to hook up to, but I don't think they are going to discontinue the 20-in line overall.

What Apple should be doing is adding an adapter for the mindisplay port for older Mac's. If Apple doesn't do it, another company could make an adapter like that and sell it for a lot.

12. Marsil macrumors member

Sounds like at strategy but unless the Mac Pro - are just about to get out next week or so they WILL loose a lot of sales (or delay). In my world most use either 20" or 24" for their Mac Pro - now apple don't even have a 20" option.

13. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Yeah, because they're not already "losing" sales from people waiting for Gainestown...

If an individual needs a Mac Pro, they will get wait. Businesses that need Mac Pros don't care about Gainestown, or at least shouldn't, since the current models are tanj fast.

Apple will really lose no sales because of this. There are plenty of cheaper H-IPS panels than the old 20".

Now, at least, maybe I can pick one or a 23" up somewhere for cheap.

Ah... three displays. That'd be nice. :D

14. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

I agree that the Mac Pro is likely to have a Mini Display Port but I can't see the bottom end monitor being a 24'' $900/£635 display. What about the people with Mac Mini or want second monitors for their 20 inch iMac?

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

How long have you and I been waiting for these Mac Pro's Tallest? Just curious since I am still waiting and have been waiting for a while and I recall you doing the same..... or did you get one a while ago?

As for the picking them up cheap, that is what I intend to do. I picked up my 23" for around $550 at my local shop.

I remember when the 20" ACD was first introduced.... it was $1299 with the 30" a heart stopping wallet crunching $2199

16. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

About twelve years. I was all set to get Gainestown until a... wow, it was only a week ago...

So by the time I have the funds for one again, it'll be Haswell.

I'm in the process of knowing a guy who works at an Apple reseller. I'll ask him what the skinny is on 20" and 23" price drops...

But there again; what's the point of having a THIRD useless monitor with no Mac Pro to connect them to...

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Friggin' ridiculous. If you want a Mac Pro, the 30" is now your only Apple display option.

18. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Different times, my friend.

19. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

True, but we are talking about a different monitor. We went from 20" IPS LCD to 24" H-IPS LED as the base model. I can see it as the start and at a price of $899 or so.

What I can't really see is Apple scrapping DVI for Mini Display port for all of their monitors and GFX cards, but that's been done before with ADC so it all just comes full circle.

20. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

Apple's displays are a sad joke. Anyone serious about needing a quality monitor that's more than form over function have been looking elsewhere for some time now.

21. blackhand1001 macrumors 68030

blackhand1001

I agree, they were decent when they came out but the 30 inch display is using a 5 year old panel now. The 305t, 3008wfp, and almost any other 30 inch are far beyond it now. What i don;t understand though is why apple used mini display port and not displayport. Displayport is not that large and i don't think it needed to be miniaturized.

22. dabirdwell macrumors 6502

Wasn't the 30" more like $3299 at introduction?

23. drlunanerd macrumors 65816

drlunanerd

What's funny/frustrating is that Apple can't seem to learn from their past mistakes. It's almost like every few years they get a new batch of n00b engineers who think they've got a bright idea that's not been tried before :rolleyes:

I know Apple have a tradition of embracing new I/O connectors all-or-nothing but is it really such a compromise to produce displays that are backwards and forwards compatible?

Ooooh look it has an extra port on the back!!
    Jonathan Ive has a hissy fit as it offends his aesthetic vision and storms out of the product design meeting!! :rolleyes: :p

24. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Well, the 20" was a sad joke, and had been using the 5 year old panel. The 23" and 30" got updated, and the last price drop brought them below the cost of the higher prices offerings from Nec and LaCiE whose panels are what many in the color critical market call the standard. Eizo monitors are even more so.

Once Apple puts a glass front on the 30" LED and says it goes perfectly with the Mac Pro and nothing else is the day I will be buying NECs.

I don't even care that they want to use mini display port, I just care that Apple HAD to cater their new monitors around the Macbooks. I will wait and see if Apple really does fubar their monitor lineup, but as Tallest says, I have a feeling Apple will be custom fabbing some expensive proprietary GFX cards with MDP ONLY.

You are correct.

Very true. I think Apple engineers get off on making some people's lives a living hell with the complete LACK of backward compatibility. The idiots at the retail stores even suggest purchasing MORE hardware to counter Apple's decisions. :mad:

25. nick9191 macrumors 68040

A 5 year old panel?

Apple do silently refresh the panels, I doubt they even make the panels it was using 5 years ago.