20" or 24" imac......

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 16, 2006
3,100
0
Central Florida!
I am using a macbook now and have to go back to a imac due to a arm injury, I have used a 20" and now that the 24 is out , I am thinking about it, but still not sure or wait till Jan.....Money is not a issue at all,,,,,what is so much better about the 24"...thanks guys....
 

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
1,770
2,255
NYC
Cybergypsy said:
I am using a macbook now and have to go back to a imac due to a arm injury, I have used a 20" and now that the 24 is out , I am thinking about it, but still not sure or wait till Jan.....Money is not a issue at all,,,,,what is so much better about the 24"...thanks guys....
They are mostly the same, but there are several differences in specs between the two, with the 24" being better when there is a difference. And I just saw a 24" in the Apple store today, and my God...it is GLORIOUS! I have a 20" and I have serious screen envy.
 

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
2,756
0
Melbourne, Australia
I have a 20" iMac Core 2 Duo and I love it for me there was no reason to get a 24", but the differences are obviously the screen size (the 24" is also 40% brighter than the 20"), better video if you upgrade to the 7600 GT (the 7300 is about the same as the video in the 20"), and a FW800 port. Other than that the machines have the exact same specs.

So it comes down to do you need or want the larger screen size? Do you need the better video card? Do you need FW800? If you said yes to any of those 3 questions the 24" is worth buying.
 

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 16, 2006
3,100
0
Central Florida!
I really just need it for everyday on line stuff, however i did notice at a mac store that the 24" seemed sooooo much brighter then the 20" but i also have bad eyesight so thinking the 24" is worth it..... but should i wait till Jan???/
 

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
it won't hurt you to wait 3 months.

better to wait than to be sorry if new upgrades and price cuts come along with the keynote


i am waiting for jan :D i am optimistic that new gfx cards are coming out for the imac 20" and then i'll buy it along with leopard
 

risc

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2004
2,756
0
Melbourne, Australia
If you are going to wait until January why don't you wait a little longer until the Santa Rosa Meroms are released?

To the guy above - you're expecting Leopard in January?
 

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
1,770
2,255
NYC
wchong said:
it won't hurt you to wait 3 months.

better to wait than to be sorry if new upgrades and price cuts come along with the keynote


i am waiting for jan :D i am optimistic that new gfx cards are coming out for the imac 20" and then i'll buy it along with leopard
The 24" iMacs are about as new as you can get. And your line of reasoning holds true in January too. Anyway, Leopard isn't supposed to ship till spring...that's a long time to wait if you need a new machine now.
 

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
DTphonehome said:
The 24" iMacs are about as new as you can get. And your line of reasoning holds true in January too. Anyway, Leopard isn't supposed to ship till spring...that's a long time to wait if you need a new machine now.
i thought it was goign to be released "early spring" and going by university calendar (i'm a graduate by the way) spring is from january until late april.

i do expect better upgrades when leopard is released. it's good marketing. so i would say, hold on to your cash until leopard is released.

it shouldn't take too long as developer releases are out.
 

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 16, 2006
3,100
0
Central Florida!
DTphonehome said:
The 24" iMacs are about as new as you can get. And your line of reasoning holds true in January too. Anyway, Leopard isn't supposed to ship till spring...that's a long time to wait if you need a new machine now.
I just really hate the thought of siting at a desk again....seems the laptop has spoiled me, but i keep telling myself all i need is a 20" imac....but my eyes are drawn to the 24"... I could get a mac mini and hook it up to my 42 lcd....but did that and found it un comfie to read and work like that..
 

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
1,770
2,255
NYC
wchong said:
i thought it was goign to be released "early spring" and going by university calendar (i'm a graduate by the way) spring is from january until late april.
I doubt Apple goes according to university calendar semesters.
 

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
Cybergypsy said:
I just really hate the thought of siting at a desk again....seems the laptop has spoiled me, but i keep telling myself all i need is a 20" imac....but my eyes are drawn to the 24"... I could get a mac mini and hook it up to my 42 lcd....but did that and found it un comfie to read and work like that..

:D

42 is almost twice as big as the 24..... however, i'm pretty sure you could get used to a 24" screen. however, if upgrades are possible on the 20" it would definitely be a better system to buy as you get more bang for ur buck.

say, 20" with x1900 (wishful thinking :D) and 24" with x1900 with a price difference of 300 bucks for 4 more inches... methinks 24" won't be worth it


DTphonehome said:
I doubt Apple goes according to university calendar semesters.
do they go by the asian calendar? :D
 

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
2,573
0
Clemson, SC
I've yet to see the 24" iMac in person, but I just today got a 24" Dell monitor and it's absolutely AMAZING. The screen estate is ridiculous - it's much larger than I thought it would be. I've seen 20-inchers in person, and I have to agree with Josephkyles - they now seem tiny!
 

PCMacUser

macrumors 68000
Jan 13, 2005
1,698
17
wchong said:
i thought it was goign to be released "early spring" and going by university calendar (i'm a graduate by the way) spring is from january until late april.
I find it fascinating that universities don't know the seasons of the year.

In the Northern Hemisphere,

Summer=June-August
Autumn/Fall=September-November
Winter=December-February
Spring=March-May
 

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
10,597
2,717
Bay Area
If money's not an issue why wouldn't you go for the 24"? Bigger, brighter, faster graphics. What's not to like (except the $500 premium)?
 

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
PCMacUser said:
I find it fascinating that universities don't know the seasons of the year.

In the Northern Hemisphere,

Summer=June-August
Autumn/Fall=September-November
Winter=December-February
Spring=March-May

i can answer that... but i won't mention it... we're in america and it'd be politically incorrect to say it even though the first amendment protects me :D
 

nodabs

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2006
112
0
PA
Besides everything else mentioned... the 24" iMac is more asthetically pleasing because the the "chin" at the bottom of the computer is less pronounced. I just got mine and i love it, it's huge and beautiful!
 

wchong

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2006
364
0
Miami, Fl
Mammoth said:
It seems I'm the only one with a 17" baby. :(
I really want a 42" ACD.
i really believe many don't want to buy a 17" b/c of the graphics card not being upgradable even to 256mb.
 

Lynxpoint

macrumors regular
Jan 13, 2005
163
23
Mammoth said:
It seems I'm the only one with a 17" baby. :(
I really want a 42" ACD.
42?!?

yikes. I really like the 30" ACD but I have a hard time imagining working on something bigger (30" aready requires turning my head to look from one side of the screen to the other)
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
If you have money and willing to spend it, go for the 24''. After all, how much time do you spend on your computer every day? If you spend several hours a day, every day, then maybe it's worth it to spend an extra $500 to make those thousands of hours (over the computer's lifespan) more enjoyable.

That being said, if you're only moving up for the screen size, $500 is steep. But in the end, it's your call in determining how much you use your computer and if you're willing to put out extra money to make all that time pass by better.
 

kiriames

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2008
1
0
Iv'e bought my 20" in august (Yes im replying very late for this) but i love it! Yeah, in the shop it might look small against the 24" but i would rather keep my eyes safe. And besides, I don't need a faster or more reliable computer than the one i have now. <3 it :D