$20 paypaled for getting me up and running

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by XeroZeus, Oct 28, 2014.

1. XeroZeus macrumors newbie

Hello forum,

I hadn't used my Macbook Pro in over 5 months until the other evening. I opened it up and went to boot it up and the Apple screen came up with a loading bar. As you all know, the loading bar filled up and the computer restarted. I am NOT very tech savvy when it comes to Apple products, but would like for someone patient to guide me through getting my cpu back up and running. I have searched the forums and found a lot of people that have encountered this error, but would like someone to specifically help me get back up and running.

So far:

I have started in safe mode and attempted to run disk utility. I am unable to restore the system. I want to determine if there are any files that I can salvage on the computer before replacing the hard drive - even though I don't know that the hard drive is the problem. Can I do this by purchasing a firewire and connecting it from my mbp to my mba and browsing it?

Thanks for the patience...

2. bmac89 macrumors 6502a

bmac89

I'm not sure that I can help, but I think connecting with firewire and using target mode you should be able to view files - however I have never tried it.

Another possible option is to boot from an OSX install CD and use disk utility to fix or backup drive. Or install OSX onto an external hard drive and then boot from the external drive and see if you can access the files that way - but this may be a bit fiddly and not lead to any solution.

Sorry I can't really be of help - hopefully someone with more experience can guide you to a solution.

3. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

4. XeroZeus thread starter macrumors newbie

bmac- I don't own a firewire cable, so this will wait until I'm sure it's the last option. I also didn't receive any disks with the mbp.I purchased it a few years ago from Amazon and there was no recovery disk included with the box (I have the original box and info).

Jessica- Upon getting home this evening, I reset the PRAM. The computer booted up and did the same thing where the apple logo shows and the status bar fills. After the status bar fills the computer shuts down.

I then followed the second recommendation and booted up to recovery.
    a) I have no time machine backups
    b) I read that i can "reinstall OS" without losing my data. I attempted to do this but when I get to the disk to install OS X, all that I can see is "Recovery HD" and it says "This disk is locked".
    c)Option to browse online for help
    d) Disk Utility

For Disk Utility I can see 500.11 GB TOSHIBA MK5065GSXF MEDIA and under that is "Macintosh HD".

I also have "SuperDrive" and "disk1" with "OS X Base System" below it.

What can I try next?

5. kopite19 macrumors regular

Recently had the exact same issue and identified the problem to be with the sata cable that connects the harddrive to the motherboard. Bought a replacement for ~£20 and was back up and running within 10minutes.
    Get hold of a USB/FireWire harddrive caddie, remove your harddrive from the MBP and place it in the caddie, boot up holding the option key and choose your harddrive, if it boots up, then the harddrive is fine and as suspected, it's the sata cable.

6. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

When in Disk Utility, select the Macintosh HD partition and select First-Aid from the top selection bar and then select Verify Disk. If it comes back and says that the disk needs to be repaired select Repair Disk. Hopefully this is able to fix the problem.

It sounds like the partition is corrupt which is why it is not mounting. If the disk was mounted you would see it as an option when you try to reinstall. When in Disk Utility is Macintosh HD greyed out?

Not sure if you have any other hard drives or SSDs lying around but if you want to preserve your data I would put in a known working SSD/HDD in your computer and then use a recovery program to extract your files if the partition is corrupt in an external enclosure.

7. XeroZeus thread starter macrumors newbie

Edit: I have no hard drives laying around.

Verifying disk...

Invalid volume directory count.
    Invalid volume file count.
    Incorrect number of extended attributes

"The volume Macintosh HD was found corrupt and needs to be repaired".
    Error: This disk needs to be repaired. Click Repair Disk.

Started Repair Disk....

"Error: Disk Utility can't repair this disk... disk, and restore your backed-up files.

What does this mean?

8. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Means that the partition is corrupt or the drive is failing/failed. Your data though is hopefully not lost. I would get a new drive in there and you should be good to go. There are a few good applications such as Diskdrill or Disk Warrior that can recover your data. Disk Warrior can most likely repair the partition too so it can boot again.

9. XeroZeus thread starter macrumors newbie

I really apologize and feel free to say "NO", but can you walk me through this as if I was an infant?

10. Elbert C macrumors 6502

I second DiskWarrior. My 2008 MBP has had errors that Disk Utility couldn't repair that DW repaired easily. My MBP is still running fine to this day.

11. DennisBlah macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

I'm facing this issue multiple times at work.
    This happens a lot after updates etc.

Sometimes its too hard to get it work again, and sometimes it just needs a new drive.

Completly clear your harddrive through recovery mode, remove partitions, and make a new one.

If it does not work, try a new harddrive. Seems like some update damages your efi

12. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think some of the updates that came with Yosemite did some stuff. I also had issues with the developer previews when I was dual booting it next to Mavericks. There was a whole month where the machine wouldn't even power on and the MBP was a paperweight.

XeroZeus, you have another machine, yes? Is it a Mac too?

13. XeroZeus thread starter macrumors newbie

Jessica- Yes. I have a Macbook Air as well.

I did not update to Yosemite, this problem arose after not using the cpu for a few months (due to getting the mba and traveling a lot).

What next? If I completely "clear" my harddrive - don't I lose my data?

14. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

If you clear (erase) your hard drive you will absolutely lose all of your data. Maybe you should take it into Apple. They will help.

15. DennisBlah macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Yes you will.

You can always try to connect your drive through an USB adapter to your other mac, and copy all your data.

Tbh. Always make sure you got an backup of your data, use TimeMachine, or Carbon Copy Cloner <-- is a great on, you can boot from your backup if your main drive fails

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

If the two machines have Thunderbolt, you just need that cable and to set the machine into Target Disk Mode:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/PH13842

It will show up in Finder as an external disk on the Air and you can try and see if Disk Utility works from there. It should let you browse the disk though.

Seeing as you're going to end up at the Apple Store anyway you definitely should book an appointment as GoCubsGo says.

17. DennisBlah macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Is this possible if you can't boot your machine ? :)

18. Jesla macrumors 6502

Jesla

....And we have a winner!

19. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

$20 paypaled for getting me up and running

If it hasn't changed, yes. I couldn't boot my G5 once and had to connect it to my 2006 MacBook Pro.

20. Fishrrman macrumors G4

I'll try to help.
    This reply will be somewhat lengthly, but if you follow my instructions, I think it -will- solve your problems.

Also, it won't be "free", in that you'll need to buy a couple of things.
    And it will take a little time (time spent in waiting for the things you need, and time spent in "doing the work").

My approach would be to get a NEW drive, and use an external "docking station" to initialize and "prep" the drive. You can then boot up from it (a "full boot", rather than the "limited boot" the recovery partition gives you), and from there, "go to work" on the problem internal drive.

First, I suggest you get one of these gadgets:
    http://www.amazon.com/Tool-Free-Ina...682540&sr=8-1&keywords=inateck+usb3+sata+dock
    (disclaimer: no financial interest in above link)

A USB3/SATA dock will be very useful in replacing the internal drive, it will also serve as a good backup drive later on.

Next, you need to get a NEW drive for the MacBook. I would recommend an SSD, it will breathe "new life" into the old computer and extend its life a few years. I would suggest an SSD between 128-256gb as the "sweet spot", insofar as $$$ is concerned.

I realize you might not want to put much money into it. This might be an option:
    http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/FCCT2...D=552179&SID=VkZKWWN3b0tNcXNBQUhNaUp5UUFBQUJL
    (again, no financial interest in above item)

Once you have both of these, do this:
    Put the new SSD into the dock, connect it to the MacBook
    Boot the MacBook into Recovery Mode.
    Open Disk Utility.
    Does it "recognize" the presence of the new drive? (it's not initialized yet).
    If so, choose to initialize it, HFS+, GUID partition map.
    Now -- try an OS re-install, but "aim it" at the SSD.
    Does this work?

You should be able to install a fresh version of the OS onto the externally-mounted SSD.
    NOTE: at the end of the install, does the installer give you the option to connect to an old drive to "migrate" your apps, accounts, and data? Are you able to select the internal drive as the source? (you may not be able to do this if the old drive is damaged, so if you can't, just continue as below).

Once you do that, you need to reboot from the external drive.
    Restart, and hold down the option key until the startup manager appears.
    (Note, it's possible that during the software installation, the installer will have already changed this setting)
    Startup manager should show you several icons (recovery partition, external drive, perhaps the internal drive).
    Select the external drive with the pointer and hit return to boot from it.

You should now boot to a completely "fresh and unused" copy of the OS.
    I suggest you create a "temporary account" for now. For lack of a better name, call it "administrator" and use whatever password you wish.
    Now you can get logged in.
    From here, might be best to use software update to get everything where it should be.

At this point, I would consider "swapping" the SSD for the internal drive. On most MPB's this is a VERY easy task, SO LONG AS YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TOOLS (shouting intentional).

You can find a well-illustrated guide at ifixit.com.
    You'll need a small screwdriver (probably a Philips #00) and a TORX driver (T-6?).
    These can be found at hardware stores, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc. "for cheap".

The hardest part about swapping drives is removing the screws on the back and reinstalling them. Watch out for the "longer" screws, that they go back where they came from.

NOW -- with the drives changed out, will the Macbook boot up from the SSD?
    If it does, you're back in business (insofar as a running MBP is concerned), even though you still have to try to "get at" the data on the old drive.

Put the old drive into the USB3 dock and connect it.
    What happens now?

Do all this, and get back to us...

21. XeroZeus thread starter macrumors newbie

I have purchased the external drive and an SSD from Amazon. When they arrive in two days, I will move forward in hopes of getting up and running.

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The screw diagram for the bottom panel is attached for a 13" classic MacBook Pro. The screws are a standard Philips #00 screwdriver.

Attached Files:

23. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Excellent diagram by altemose above.

You'll need the TORX driver to access the screws on the hard drive itself, and transfer those to the new SSD.

Ifixit's instructions talk about removing the battery cable, but I left it in place and had no problems.

Do this job on the dining room table (or other clear flat workspace), and put a towel over it so you won't scratch the top of the MacBook.

The drive is held in the slot by a small bracket. You just unscrew the bracket and lift the drive out with the "pull tab". Swap the mounting bosses on existing drive (TORX screws) to the new one, drop the drive back in, put the bracket back on, and replace the back cover. Again, hardest part is removing and replacing the back screws.

IMPORTANT:
    Be sure to "prep" the new drive BEFORE you install it.
    Boot it up, create your account, update the software, etc.
    This way, you KNOW it works before you put it into the MBP...

24. XeroZeus thread starter macrumors newbie

Stuff came in. I am on the stop where I am in Recovery Mode and in Disk Utility. It does recognize the SSD I purchased "240.06 GB Inateck Media". I click on that. Then where do I go and what do I do? I'm really a newb....

Hope you're around today as I am eager to make progress.

25. DennisBlah macrumors 6502

DennisBlah

Instead of disk utility choose reinstall osx
    And try to install it to your new ssd

If this wont work, try to reboot your machine while holding N, if your lucky you can install osx from network.

Cheers