Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Greetings MR, I need your help!

I have a $200 credit with Apple due to an AppleCare blunder on their part and I don't know how to spend it! They will ship me anything Apple branded (Hardware or Software) up to $200 free-of-charge.

Restrictions:
  • No 3rd Party Products
  • No iTunes Gift Certificates
  • No Apple Store Gift Certificates
  • No AppleCare

Should I wait? Should I get something worth the max. and sell it? I appreciate the help!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Would I be right in thinking there's no time limit on your credit? Otherwise, it might not be worthwhile waiting for Apple to get around to releasing something new... ;)

Maybe you could treat yourself to a nice new iPod Mini? Your $200 would just cover that nicely.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Jaffa Cake said:
Would I be right in thinking there's no time limit on your credit? Otherwise, it might not be worthwhile waiting for Apple to get around to releasing something new... ;)

Maybe you could treat yourself to a nice new iPod Mini? Your $200 would just cover that nicely.
I did ask about the duration. She said it didn't have any limitation. {crosses fingers} I've had the credit for 2 months already... so I'm just biding my time.

wnameth

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2004
Canada
chip in some cash and get a new 20GB ipod color, i tried one today at work, and they are damn nice :D

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
EvilDoc said:
Get a ipod mini, or wait for somthing you really want... or you could donate it to help a brother out foundation and give it to me ;) ( I had to ask )
It's a valid question, I'd have asked the same thing. ;)

But no, I don't plan to give it away. :p

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Two thoughts:

1. If you didn't have this credit, what would your next Apple purchase be? Why not buy THAT and take $200 off the price?

2. Do you already have an iPod? If so, which model and what gear do you already have for it? Perhaps an iPod or more gear for one is in order.

djkny

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2003
use the $$ towards a 20" Apple LCD -- Edu price minus $200 = $499.
unbeatable. you won't regret it.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Doctor Q said:
Two thoughts:

1. If you didn't have this credit, what would your next Apple purchase be? Why not buy THAT and take $200 off the price?
Well, I just purchased a (used) 15in PB. It's decked out, so I'm not sure when my next computer purchase would be.

Doctor Q said:
2. Do you already have an iPod? If so, which model and what gear do you already have for it? Perhaps an iPod or more gear for one is in order.
And yeah, I do have a 4G iPod. Got that with Cram & Jam last summer. So that's still suiting my needs.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
djkny said:
use the $$ towards a 20" Apple LCD -- Edu price minus $200 = $499.
unbeatable. you won't regret it.
Well, I just upgraded from a 12in PB to a 15in PB. I'm really happy with the screen so far. I was looking into getting a nicer external for the 12in, but I don't know about needing it with this beautiful 15in screen.

I think I need to call back about using it toward the purchase of another item.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Ok, sorry for the last additional post.

I had thought about getting an iSight, but I dont' know how much I would use it. I ran a few searches on alternate things I can do with an iSight (other than iChat), but came up with very little. Does anyone here own an iSight that would reccomend for or against it? (MRoogle searches come up with very little)

corywoolf

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2004
michaelrjohnson said:
Ok, sorry for the last additional post.

I had thought about getting an iSight, but I dont' know how much I would use it. I ran a few searches on alternate things I can do with an iSight (other than iChat), but came up with very little. Does anyone here own an iSight that would reccomend for or against it? (MRoogle searches come up with very little)

don't get an isight, it will likely be updated within the next year. I would get a 20" display or a whole bunch of ipod socks ;)

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
michaelrjohnson said:
I use iChat with my iSight now and then. I bought Toysight (the day it was first released!) but wasn't impressed with it. I also bought EvoCam and found it was fun to play with (for setting up a webcam and even a security camera), but alone it wouldn't be enough reason to get an iSight.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
corywoolf said:
don't get an isight, it will likely be updated within the next year. I would get a 20" display or a whole bunch of ipod socks ;)

Not a bad idea actually. Buy a whole bunch of something and sell them on ebay. Start a little store or something.

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
Well, I must say that I'm disappointed of the feedback about iSight. I know that it's bound to be updated soon, and I know that I have no real use for it... but it could have been cool.

Thanks for keeping me sane.

So is the best advice to make sure that I can keep this credit for awhile? At what point do you think I should just use it? Paris expo? MWSF 06? WWDC 06?! :eek:

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
iSights are great when you know several people who have them. Five of my family members have webcams (4 iSights) and my girlfriend has an iSight too. I live about an hour from her, so the nights we don't physically see each other, the iSight it great to get to talk to one another.

Mood

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
NY
get a totebag, or headphones or wireless keyboard, or buy a mac mini (+300 dollarS), or a superdrive (lacie external burner), wireless mouse?,

lordmac

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2004
Santa Cruz, CA
michaelrjohnson said:
Well, I must say that I'm disappointed of the feedback about iSight. I know that it's bound to be updated soon, and I know that I have no real use for it... but it could have been cool.

Hey, just to make the decision harder (lol sry). I have and isight and i love it and use it all the time. I pretty much use it for what its intended webcaming with people on aim/ichat, which really is pretty sweet. Ah yes so many hours spent web caming with my girlfriend. But of course im pretty luck in that i have more friend with web cams then probably most. Its also just very nice to have a camera right at your desk in which you can use to take a quick snap shot of something or other to send over aim or something. :)

michaelrjohnson

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 9, 2000
lordmac said:
Hey, just to make the decision harder (lol sry). I have and isight and i love it and use it all the time. I pretty much use it for what its intended webcaming with people on aim/ichat, which really is pretty sweet. Ah yes so many hours spent web caming with my girlfriend. But of course im pretty luck in that i have more friend with web cams then probably most. Its also just very nice to have a camera right at your desk in which you can use to take a quick snap shot of something or other to send over aim or something. :)
Gee. Thanks. :mad:

:D

The reason that I'm not sure I'd use it for chatting is 1) I use Adium, 2) I don't know anyone else with a camera. After much initial excitement, I think it's not for me.

It drives me nuts that I can't find a use for this credit!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.