$200 iPhone Trade-in Deal From Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Noble Actual, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Noble Actual, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

Noble Actual macrumors 6502a

Update: According to multiple people, VZW reps are stupid and just go into your local store to trade your phone in. It can be from any retailer and does not have to ordered directly from Verizon.

2. pmcdn macrumors regular

3. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. pmcdn macrumors regular

I was told by the manager at a VZW store yesterday that you have until November to make the trade. You get $200 for IP 4's and up, and $300 or so for 5S as long as it turns on and the face isn't broken. Bring it in and they will issue a virtual "gift card" that you can use on anything Verizon.

But, still looking to find out about IP6 purchased at Apple and not VZW.

5. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

I don't see why Verizon wouldn't. Could they even tell?

All 3 iPhone 6 were from renewing 2 year contracts.

6. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Yes. Absolutely.

Just sign up on the verizon site for the iPhone 5 that you are returning.

7. pmcdn macrumors regular

I don't see why they wouldn't. Of course you want to verify, but it would seem logical that if you purchase a phone to commit to Verizons service, it SHOULDN'T matter where you picked up the hardware if it's applied to your VZW acct.

8. andcool69 macrumors member

Nope doesn't matter where you get it as long as you are upgrading and locking in for another 2 year contact. I have 2 different chat sessions with verizon saved telling me this.

9. cforster macrumors 6502

This is awesome for me, makes my night! Thanks for the info on this everyone.

10. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

I just called the number listed in the FAQ https://www.trade-in.vzw.com/home.php5 and they said you have to order the iPhone 6 to get the $200 gift card. Is that wrong? Anyone have another link to confirm you can rose from apple.com?

11. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

I hoping this is NOT true.

12. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

Does ATT have a similar trade in deal?

I can't confirm if ATT is doing the same thing but Verizon is.

Got totally screwed by them.

13. apuddy macrumors newbie

Just traded in my wife's iPhone 4S for $200 in store. Hopefully I can answer a few questions that have come up here and in other forums:
    1. $200 was given in the form of a gift card handed directly to me. I then walked to the payment kiosk in the store and applied it to my account right away to pay towards future wireless bill. Account says -$200 balance already.
    2. You CAN still do the trade in even if you bought from Apple.com preorder, which is what I did. Many people have been told that you must buy directly from VZW, which simply isn't true.
    3. Evaluation of the 4S wasn't all that thorough, basically just made sure it turned on and was free of major defects. Mine had a few minor dents but nothing major. Then verified ESN of new iPhone 6 and I was good to go.
    4. This was really easy, took 10 min of my time. Nice!

14. Izauze macrumors 6502

Incorrect.

I got my $200 last night with my Apple pre-order and a 4 from AT&T. As expected, since this restriction is NOT listed on the official promo FAQ.

I asked the manager about it and he just laughed about their customer service reps. He said they don't always give out the best information. I suppose that's hit or miss - especially with a new promo.

15. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I called my local VZ store and they told me that it had to be purchased from Verizon, even got it confirmed by the manager.

I guess this really is all a clusterf**k. You guys got lucky.

16. apuddy macrumors newbie

Hmmm, I don't think there was any sort of "override" for me to get the $200. No one asked me where I got the iPhone 6 from. They had to look at my iPhone 6 to get the ESN off of it, too. What I'm getting at is, if the program excludes apple.com orders, then the VZW computer system would have denied my trade in when they entered the ESN.

If the store is close enough to you, I'd just take your phone in and try. Don't mention where your phone came from unless they ask. If you have to, tell them that they are mistaken about having to buy in a VZW store and to try entering in your info. There have been SO many reports here of different VZW reps contradicting each other, they obviously weren't trained very well for this. In the end, mine went through very easily and I doubt I was able to just sneak by. I'd recommend you give it a try in person, you can always take your phone back and walk away if they are giving you a hard time.

17. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

Trading in is not worth it. You're trading a $650 phone for $200. You are paying them $450 to use the phone for two year. You paid $450 spread out monthly for two years.

18. Izauze macrumors 6502

Didn't get lucky - it's their official policy. But I agree all the misinformation folks like you have ran into is indeed a clusterf***. It's a shame they can't get their people on the same page with their policy.

19. apuddy macrumors newbie

I do understand that I paid a lot for the phone in the form of monthly payments. However, how would you recommend that I obtain more money for a 2 year old, used iPhone 4S at this point? Every other option for trade-in or sale of an iPhone 4S that I could find yields less than $200. An iPhone 4S is NOT worth $650 in the year 2014. ;)

20. Noble Actual thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yea, I wasn't trying to misinform people.

I was just trying to help people not get screwed over and I guess I got myself screwed over.

21. iphone5att64 macrumors 6502

A new iPhone isn't worth $650+$450. Two years later, another phone will cost you $650+$450+$450. I would keep it as a spare or for children, sell it to someone you know, or give it away as a gift.

22. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Is the 200 the same for all storage sizes? I'm thinking it's the same. A 16GB is not so bad but those with 64GB might wanna sell.

23. SBrooks360 macrumors member

I traded in a 4 and a 4S today at my local Verizon store. Got myself a 16GB iPad Retina for free. :)

24. apuddy macrumors newbie

I'm no math major, but that doesn't make any sense. The cost of the phone is the cost of the phone. I get it that buying a subsidized phone from a carrier means they will incorporate that cost into my monthly bill. As a result I end up paying for an entire phone over the course of the contract.

However, over 2 years, I feel that I have gotten $650 worth of use out of my phones. I use them constantly and my phone is the one electronic item I probably use most. After using it a lot over 2 years, I feel good about getting $200 for it that I can apply towards my next phone. Do you expect VZW or any other carrier to give you the phone for absolutely free because you agree to have service with them? That's the only way you could not pay $650ish for it.

As for your recommendations, to each their own, but my kids won't be old enough for a phone for several years, I would not accept $200 from a friend for a phone that's 3 iterations behind (that's stealing in my mind), and call me cheap but I don't give people $200 gifts very often.:D