$200 iTunes Gift Card for $150 on Ebay

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Hawkeye411, Jun 23, 2008.

1. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

How can people sell $200 iTunes gift cards for $150 on Ebay? How do they make any money?

Cheers.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The same way that major retailers sell gift cards for slightly under purchase price. This thing's probably either stolen or unactivated, though.

3. Samarium macrumors 6502a

Samarium

4. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

The guy has a bunch of positive feedback for exactly the same item for the same price though.

5. adamerr macrumors 6502a

adamerr

check the people who bought it from him then.
    if it seems all good, go for it.

but always know there is a slight risk of him scamming you...
    can you pay with paypal?

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

If I sold fake iTunes Gift Cards at $150 profit for everyone who falls for it, then surely I would spend the time to open a dozen eBay accounts and give the one account that I use for scamming some positive feedback.

I could imagine someone getting a 200 dollar gift card as a birthday present and selling it on eBay because they don't even have an iPod. But if they claim they are selling more than one card, if you subtract the money they have to pay to eBay and PayPal, there is no way anyone can sell $200 cards for $150 without there being a scam somewhere.

Here is the maths: Apple pays 70 cent of every 99 cent download directly to the record company. So if I bought and used a $200 gift card, Apple would send $140 to the record companies. The remaining $60 have to cover profit for the retailer selling the card, Apple's cost for running the store and delivering the songs, and Apple's profit. If I buy something and sell it on eBay for $150, I'd need to pay $130 or less to make any profit at all. No way.

7. Indohottie macrumors 6502

Indohottie

just another point.. paypal buyer protection does not cover gift cards.. so if something goes wrong, you will have a hard time getting your money back.

That being said, i buy itunes gift cards on forums all the time.. i tend to trust heatware feedback more then I do ebay feedback.

8. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Ended up buying one, entered the code, my balance increased to $200 and I purchased the Amazing Journey: Story of the Who for $10.00. Everything was fine!!

Cheers.

9. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Or who'd rather spend 150$ on music they'll be able to listen to in 10 years from now, when Apple doesn't support the current DRM format anymore.

10. Hawkeye411 thread starter macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

Yea the DRM thing is a bummer. I mostly use iTunes to rent movies to watch on the 42" LCD so it's not an issue for me.

Cheers.
    :):apple:

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Did you have any particular reason for that post? Any evidence, or any hint, that in ten years time Apple wouldn't support music that you buy today? I would be very curious to see any information about this.

12. Deckers777 macrumors newbie

I know it has been a while since you post this discussion, but who was the ebayer you bought from and did you have any problems, as this kind of sounds too good to be true.

cheers

13. Music_Producer macrumors 68000

I can't believe people still fall for this scam.

These are codes purchased with stolen credit cards - they will work if you redeem them right away, but your itunes account will get disabled after a few days.

If a gift card is being sold for much lower than it's actual value - then it is most likely stolen. All the +ve feedbacks you see are from ecstatic customers who leave feedback right away.. if you scan through them though, you will see some negatives from customers who have had their accounts disabled.

14. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Don't do it. I fell for it once and my iTunes account was suspended.

15. hellomoto4 macrumors 6502a

hellomoto4

I bought a $20 gift card once and it worked fine.
    Just make sure you're buying from a seller whose feedback is fairly high and 100% positive. (If it's something like 99.5% check out what the neg. feedback was given for, because you often find noob buyers giving false feedback if an item isn't posted after like a day, or if they bought the card for the wrong store :l)

16. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

they dont

however, some people would rather have the flexibility of cash than be restricted to only being able to buy at itunes and thus be willing to take a slight hit....

17. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

If it sounds too good and you question the deal, skip it.

18. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

I wouldn't personally buy one from somewhere like that, but quite often over here I've been able to pick up £30 itunes vouchers for £20 from a high street store. I assume some kind of loss leader.

19. MacTech68, May 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

20. Seo macrumors regular

21. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

There was an article on Slashdot a few months ago about bogus $200 gift cards being able to be generated that worked, but were completely fraudulent. I am sure that they have long been since patched and any iTunes accounts that used them banned.

My take: There are people selling gift cards for over the purchase price. This is normal, because people buy them and use the serial number for some reason, perhaps Apple doesn't take the credit cards, or they are sending a gift to someone remotely and E-mailing them the serial number.

Under the purchase price by any real margin gets me concerned, mainly because there is that suspicion that they were purchased with hacked credit cards. With all the blackhats attacking Apple, it isn't surprising to see a lot of hacked cards for sale.