$2000.00 fraud case apple wont help with

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by CPPhoto, Aug 1, 2007.

1. CPPhoto macrumors member

http://digg.com/apple/Apple_denies_2000

Thats right

i had a 2000.00 apple gift card from a return i made, went to use it, and the money was gone...apparently by some way someobody 8 states away (im in wisconsin, and it happened in alabama) USED an actual physical gift card just like mine to purchase something for 1957.00

Now apple is saying its not their fault, its not my fault, but sorry...u arent getting your money back

I NEED HELP. If u dont want to say numbers or emails on here, PM ME PLEASE...i need exposure for this!!!!!

im a student, and this was my college machine money!

OK EVERYBODY THE BLOG IS UP!

http://techsbytes.blogspot.com/

Take a look, leave a comment, DIGG it, Pass it on! This is what this great community of people is about!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

MacRumors can't really help. Contact the authorities.

3. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

I would keep bugging Apple about it. Ask them to look at a copy of the transaction in Alabama and compare gift card reference numbers with yours. There has to be some sort of error, whether it's a transposed number or some similar problem.

4. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

i have. this case has been ongoing and been "investigated" for 2.5 weeks

i have filed a complaint with the better business bureau and i would appreciate any other outlets

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

You could try to send an email to Steve Jobs himself at steve@apple.com

Several people here claim to have had their issues resolved by doing this.

6. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Check and see if your school has a lawyer available that you can use. I know where I went you paid like 5 bucks a quarter for legal representation should you need it, or if you just needed some advice. I've also heard of people writing their state reps in fraud situations.

What kindof information are they giving about the transaction? I would guess if the person bought a computer they would have a serial number and they could tell who it was registered to. Also get the zip code of the purchaser or where it was purchased at and contact their local authorities. I don't think the police where you live will do much anything about it, probably tell you to contact the Alabama department.

Keep us updated, I'm interested to see how it turns out. Best of luck to you. I was a victim of fraud once and know how frustrating the situation can be, especially when noone will tell you anything.

allison.

7. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Can't really give specifics, however my best solution would be to get angry and in Apple's face. Keep yourself collected, but make get your points across. Offer legal threats when appropriate. Don't be soft, don't listen if they try to get you to bugger off. No need to say "well, it's being investigated, so all I can do is sit back".

If you make enough noise, they'll give you the $2000 back quickly, as they won't want you making too much trouble. As soon as you start threatening them with publicity, legal action and the like, they'd rather appease you than deal with a lawsuit.

8. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

Also, make sure to keep a record of all paperwork and interactions with folks, the more you have, the better.

9. Acehigh macrumors 6502

Even if you make enough noise you are not going to get your money back quickly. They need to find out what went on. Since I bet they get alot of people saying their gift cards were used but had a friend use it. They have to make sure that person doesnt have proof he brought the card legally.

It will take time. Also do you have the receipt that goes with the giftcard, you will probably need that.

10. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Best thing you can do. Threaten to sue Apple for consumer fraud, and that will get their attention.

Either way, you have a genuine case of grand larceny.

11. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May want to think about filing a police report, and send Apple a copy.

There are a lot of companies that will plain not act until the police report is filed, since it is a crime to file a false report.

Either it was an error in entering the gift card, or it was somebody (not Apple) stealing the money from your card.

12. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Yes! Like I said, grand larceny.

It occurs to me that an Apple employee might have copied your number, and then requested a duplicate card.

Or, it could be a simple case of system/data entry error.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Making the noise will get them to move a little faster, if they would take 3 weeks to 'investigate' the situation, they might do it in a day.

Corporations really don't like people making them look bad publicly.

14. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I would recommend two things one file a police report second start a blog post the link here. And on digg. Once you have the police report send apple the case number and a copy of the report, and a link to the blog.

15. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

i have proof of gift card reciept, and also the physical gift card that was in my possession the entire time

what is a high traffic blog that i can start??

also what are some tech blogs i can submit my story to??

could somebody explain a little more about consumer fraud and grand larceny??

thank you all thus far!

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Grand larceny is taking possesion of something which was never within your legal control ie a robber forcing you to give him your wallet. Essentially, it's the most basic form of "stealing" although stealing can mean many things. Larceny referes only to taking things which weren't within your control.

17. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

OK EVERYBODY THE BLOG IS UP!

http://techsbytes.blogspot.com/

Take a look, leave a comment, DIGG it, Pass it on! This is what this great community of people is about!

18. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

19. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Dig Dug. :) Such a great game!!!

EDIT: I dugg it as well.

20. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

tried calling apple and getting their corporate number and they refused to give it to me :( grrrr

21. McGarvels macrumors 6502

McGarvels

Submit your story to http://www.consumerist.com/

They'll eat this up and they have a great record of getting companies to help out those who submit their stories. Hope this helps.

Cheers

22. • Jaz • macrumors member

Sorry to hear about this, I know what it feels like to be scammed. I wish you all the best of luck and have registered with Digg for you.

23. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I just used sjobs@apple.com to email about a rebate problem, they got back with me 3 days later (I was and still am out of town, I guess they tried calling me several times.) They were very helpful with getting my refund straightened out. Good luck.

24. CPPhoto thread starter macrumors member

thanks i emailed both sjobs and steve@apple.com we will see if i get a reply.

21 diggs so far...lets keep building it up!

no answer from consumerist :(