$2000: Buy a new mac or Apple Stock?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by themanfromvlad, Sep 24, 2008.

1. themanfromvlad macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

With Apple stock trading at 33% off its high, I'm thinking about buying some more. But I also use a PowerBook G4 1.67 Ghz with 1 GB RAM as my main computer, and I'm finding that it's finally feeling sluggish with a few web pages up and some other apps running.

Where should I dump my money?

2. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Hard to answer b/c only you know your present needs.

3. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Stock....with the return on investment you would be able to purchase a new comp and then some..

4. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Well the stock at least has the chance of increasing the value of your investment. You can't say the same about the computer.

5. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Stock isn't a bad option, but I'd consider looking at non-apple stock if you're going that route as well. Now is probably a good time to buy in general, if you're in it for the long term.

If your sold on buying something apple related, I say go for the Mac.

6. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

Apple's products are going downhill - fast. The latest iPods show they've run out of ideas in that space and their computers are soon to get a new look that is going to make them uglier than anything sold by Dell or Compaq.

The last thing I'd be doing with my money right now is putting it into Apple.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Unless you already have a foundation of savings (something like 6-12 months living expenses, plus deductibles for insurance, etc.), have no debt, and can afford to lose some or all of your investment, you shouldn't be considering investing in stocks, Apple or otherwise.

8. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

tru dat :eek:

The stock market is not good for short-term investments or folks who cannot afford to potentially lose some/all of their money......

OTOH, if you are not in the above category, then go for it. If you can get apple stock cheap, then do it, cause after all of this bailout/collapsing economy crap is over, me thinks apple is gonna be one of the few tech companies that will regain/retain it's stock price & net value....just MHO of course :p

9. 173080 macrumors 6502

10. m1stake macrumors 68000

In this economy?

11. themanfromvlad thread starter macrumors 6502

themanfromvlad

Thanks for your concern, but I've got savings, no debt, and retirement savings plans. Oh, and I live in Canada, where I and every other citizen get terrific healthcare for free and where the government enjoys surpluses, not deficits.

It's an interesting decision for me because I already own Apple stock, and I already own a decent, albeit three-year-old, computer. The wild card here is the U.S. economy.

12. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

Theoretically you'd see a 33% return on your $2K investment should it go back up. The BIG question is WHEN?? And the price you pay may even go down tomorrow or the next day. But goes with any stock market investment.

Since it's not my money, I'd do it! :D

13. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd get the computer. At least that way, you know exactly what you're getting. With the stock market, you never know. What if you invest, it fails, and it takes you another 3 years to save up for a new powerbook?

14. mattniles007 macrumors 6502

mattniles007

I'd vote with the Mac, who knows how much volatile the stock market will be.

15. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

Is it really terrific healthcare for everyone? I've heard differently. And of course it's not free.

16. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

If it fails, he's going to have to get an HP.

I think it's a good idea to buy aapl right now. The discord between aapl's market value and balance sheet is huge. Aapl is being sold at a deep discount. I would definitely pick some up if I have any extra cash to throw around. If you feel like taking a risk, consider buying up some options.

17. Jak3 macrumors regular

Don't push it and give the rest of us a bad name :p

parts of health care are free...but there are chinks in that suit of armor. Surpluses...depends where you are and if you're talking federal or provincial...

18. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

I vote who cares especially after the OP's comments.

19. PcBgone macrumors 6502

PcBgone

Especially in this economy. When everyone is selling, thats when people should be buying. You can get good stocks dirt cheap! The only downside is you need to be picky about the stocks your buying. Dont buy any stocks in the financial sector or the housing sector unless you know who is stable enough to make it through the storm. Tech stocks are a good buy right now as there isnt as much demand due to the storm, but they will go back up.

Trust me, the next few months are the time to buy! These are short term predictions however. You will have to hold onto them for awhile until the market recovers from this storm. But isnt that what investing really is?

20. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

21. cwalex18 Guest

I'd got with the computer. At least in America (and probably elsewhere), the stock market is all over the place right now and you could end up losing your money.

22. Mebsat macrumors regular

No, if you buy the Mac, Apple gets your money.

If you buy the stock, the person selling it to you gets the money.

Apple hasn't received any money from the sale of its stock since its IPO.

:)

In any case, it's sort of an odd choice...If you need a computer, buy a computer, if you have money to invest, invest.

23. wako macrumors 65816

lol wtf? you know what the new computers look like? maybe i should submit this to a bunch of blogs because you obviously seem like an insider that knows all!

24. soLoredd macrumors 6502a

If you have to come here and ask how to use your money, I would seriously think of NOT putting it into the stock market. You say you already own Apple stock...well, why don't you look at your numbers and see if it's worth it for you to buy more?

I don't understand the internet sometimes. Common sense seems so hard to come by these days.

25. phatcat macrumors regular