Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Hello, thank firts of all for all this forum.

i reply to this post beacuse, it looks like have the same issue:

im folling this great video:
to install el capitan on macbook A1211 from 2006

the problem is:

i drag the iso of el capitan to Applications folder all so drag to desktop, first by draging and drop, then the secound time by copy option... all of them gives the same erro volume error

bash-3.2# ./createpikeinstallmedia /Users/luis/Desktop/mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg

when push enter gives this error:

Cannot find the volume /Users/luis/Desktop/mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg

all so to:

bash-3.2# ./createpikeinstallmedia /Applications/mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg

Cannot find the volume /Applications/mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg

all the copys to desktop, the icon look like paper with hard disk in the middle, instead solid icon hard drive, like it show of my hard drive, that one is solid hard drive on desktop...
it looks like, the problem is the way is create the copy from usb to hard drive of mac...i guess, please help with it...

Best wishes to you all, thank you for this forum!
Hello np63om,

sorry to say... “you’re doing it wrong!”. Watch the video again, follow the steps carefully.

Q. Do you have a copy for the unmodified “Install Mac OS X El Capitan.app” in your Applications folder?
Q. What is the mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg file you mention? (That’s not from Apple)

createpikeinstallmedia expects an argument that is a target disk (typically the one you want to install on, e.g. /Volumes/otherDisk)

BritishApple

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2016
has the 7300 got 2 DVI ports? I’m lazy and can’t be bothered to root around in my cupboard of bits to blow the dust off mine!

I think I remember it having 2 ports. Try the “simple” fix. Move the cable to the other port. I’ve encountered this issue once or twice myself. For some reason the OS sees both ports as connected and routes the video to the wrong port. You end up seeing the “second” screen which has nothing on it. Hence the grey screen. You can “test” the theory by scooting the mouse to the edge of the screen if it sticks on one edge but disappears off the other, then the OS does indeed “think” it has two screens attached.

You will need to buy a new gfx card. El Capitan uses accelerated graphics quite extensively. You “can” use the original 7300, but it will frustrate you. Don’t go mad and buy a current generation card, El Capitan won’t have drivers for it. Buy a card from the MacPro 3,1 or 4,1 era. I’ve used a Radeon 5770 and a GTX 670. I was able to flash the Radeon to support boot screens, but the not the GTX.

Hi and thanks again.

Now I’m up and running on El Capitan, I’m looking at a GeForce 8800GT (the Apple version). Will this work with my 2,1 Pro (or a 1,1 as I’m not sure if this is a genuine 2,1 or a flashed 2,1 ... it has 2 x 3GHz Quad Cores and 24GB of RAM).

I’ve seen videos on YouTube of folk using a 660 TI in an old Mac Pro and needing no flashing of any bios? Will the 660 TI work with a 2,1?

Many thanks :)

Last edited:

np63om

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
Hello np63om,

sorry to say... “you’re doing it wrong!”. Watch the video again, follow the steps carefully.

Q. Do you have a copy for the unmodified “Install Mac OS X El Capitan.app” in your Applications folder?
Q. What is the mac_OS_X_El_Capitan.10.11.1.dmg file you mention? (That’s not from Apple)

createpikeinstallmedia expects an argument that is a target disk (typically the one you want to install on, e.g. /Volumes/otherDisk)

Thank you all your support

Last edited:

np63om

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
it only stops on configuration screen...it open it and stops from there...

Last edited:

np63om

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
Opens configuration menu (please look at picture)... and wont let move the pointer or select anything from menu bar, the pointer wont move, wont let choose or select anyting...

Attachments

• IMG_20200425_154029.jpg
    IMG_20200425_154029.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Opens configuration menu (please look at picture)... and wont let move the pointer or select anything from menu bar, the pointer wont move, wont let choose or select anyting...
I have absolutely no idea.

If I were to guess...

You have probably used a modified copy of “Install OS X El Capitan” app (from that strange DMG you showed earlier) and not the unmodified original from Apple.

The teams from the community that work on the MacBooks etc had to do some funky stuff with USB because the native El Capitan didn’t work for them.

Your description implies that the USB isn’t working.

You should ensure that you use an unmodified copy of Install OS X El Capitan, one that you know came from Apple. There’s a link on post 1390 that takes you to an Apple Support page. You can download an official copy from there...

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
to install el capitan on macbook A1211 from 2006

I missed this quotation from your first post. My Pikify tool sets are designed to work with MacPro 1,1 or 2,1.
As I mentioned above, the MacBooks need extra work. Especially for USB.

You’re in the wrong forum thread. There is a thread/wiki on this site for MacBooks and MacMini/iMac. That group of users have some great information around installing and fixing the issues with USB.

You need the OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs thread...

np63om

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
I missed this quotation from your first post. My Pikify tool sets are designed to work with MacPro 1,1 or 2,1.
As I mentioned above, the MacBooks need extra work. Especially for USB.

You’re in the wrong forum thread. There is a thread/wiki on this site for MacBooks and MacMini/iMac. That group of users have some great information around installing and fixing the issues with USB.

You need the OS X El Capitan on Unsupported Macs thread...

Once again, thank you for all.

i burn DVD with iso (dmg) downloaded from apple site...
I gonna try it...

now im working on mackbook pro 2.2 intel core 2 duo
SMC Version (system) 1.12f5

please, can you send the link, i guess this is the forum you spoke, get more info about it to my work:
Once again, best wishes and thank you for all support

PS: i also gonna work on nother macbook model A1181...
please comment if you please.

have any idea what can i do, after do all the instalation and freeze on that screen... ony there... it seems install all good when start the configuration it freeze... i guess im all most there if you can help just litle bit more with this freeze screen image when start to configurate the new instalation...

please I'm very tired with all these...

Last edited:

np63om

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
I followed this magnificent video:

everything work well, everything except the configuration ...
I'm already download so many different software, and finally I followed this video work very well...
the only thing was, it stops on installation (configuration screen) 1.jpg
simply freezes...
wont let me do anything else, it remains on this screen, i must turn off the mac, to use again ... why?
please some solution, im so close to the installation of el capitan...

Thanks for the help and comments

wonrking on
mackbook pro 2.2 intel core 2 duo
SMC Version (system) 1.12f5

Macbook pro 15 Model A1211

My apologies for anything, but , after so many downloads and settings and configurations, getting to this part and crashing ... it's very tiring...

Best wishes to you all.

Last edited:

Slayerhausen

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Hey everyone! I've been trying to make use of this 1,1 for some time now. I started messing around with Ubuntu but I really want to get El Capitan on it. I've been reading through page after page on this post about it, but my biggest issue is I can't get the original El Cap installer to use with Pikify. I've asked all my friends that have macs and nobody has ever downloaded it from the app store. I've scoured the web trying to find it.

Is there any way I can get the installer, or anyone who would be willing to share it with me??

Thanks much in advance.

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Hey everyone! I've been trying to make use of this 1,1 for some time now. I started messing around with Ubuntu but I really want to get El Capitan on it. I've been reading through page after page on this post about it, but my biggest issue is I can't get the original El Cap installer to use with Pikify. I've asked all my friends that have macs and nobody has ever downloaded it from the app store. I've scoured the web trying to find it.

Is there any way I can get the installer, or anyone who would be willing to share it with me??

Thanks much in advance.
Post 1390 has a link to an Apple Support page. You should be able to download directly from there...

Reactions: Slayerhausen

Slayerhausen

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Post 1390 has a link to an Apple Support page. You should be able to download directly from there...

Thanks for the reply. All I can figure out to get from that apple page is a file called InstallMacOSX.dmg. I thought you HAD to have the actual installer.app file in the apps directory?

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
Thanks for the reply. All I can figure out to get from that apple page is a file called InstallMacOSX.dmg. I thought you HAD to have the actual installer.app file in the apps directory?
I edited the post with the following (Apple changed the way they deliver the file!)

• See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 if you are having difficulty finding a copy of El Capitan. The page has a download link that will deliver a disk image file (.dmg). Double-click the disk image to open it. Inside the disk image is an installer package. Don’t get excited, all the installer does is to put a copy of the “Install OS X El Capitan” app into your main Applications folder. Therefore run the installer. Assuming it completes okay, you will have Apple’s unmodified app in the right place and ready for the Pikify tools to operate on...
  • depending on what system you do this on, the “Install OS X El Capitan” app might launch after it installs. Just quit out. Then run the Pikify tools.

Reactions: DeltaMac

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
You are correct.
Double-click the InstallMacOSX.dmg. That will mount on your Mac. Double-click the resulting file (InstallMacOSX.pkg)
That is an installer file, which will then install. The result of that install is to copy the actual installer app (Install OS X El Capitan.app) to your Applications folder.
And, that's the app that you need. Copy that app to an external drive so you will have a safe copy in case something goes wrong with the install..

np63om

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
I edited the post with the following (Apple changed the way they deliver the file!)

• See https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206886 if you are having difficulty finding a copy of El Capitan. The page has a download link that will deliver a disk image file (.dmg). Double-click the disk image to open it. Inside the disk image is an installer package. Don’t get excited, all the installer does is to put a copy of the “Install OS X El Capitan” app into your main Applications folder. Therefore run the installer. Assuming it completes okay, you will have Apple’s unmodified app in the right place and ready for the Pikify tools to operate on...
  • depending on what system you do this on, the “Install OS X El Capitan” app might launch after it installs. Just quit out. Then run the Pikify tools.

this will be the steps:
1 download to Install OS X El Capitan.dmg (apple site: Download OS X El Capitan )
2 copy to the second HDD partition?
3 double click to open "Install OS X El Capitan.dmg"
4 copy "app" to applications? or himself creates app on aplications folder when double click on dmg?
5 open the terminal
6 write the commands
7 select the HDD with image or select the file in the applications?
8 restart the pc when pikifi it is finished.
9 follow the configuration steps on the OSx system

thats it?? for now...

Last edited:

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The download that you will get is named "InstallMacOSX.dmg".
Double-click to mount the image. You will then see the file named "InstallMacOSX.pkg"
Double-click THAT file. That will copy the installer app, named "Install Mac OS X El Capitan.app" to your Applications folder.
That's the file that you want to keep, and the one that will actually install El Capitan, and is the app that you will use those pikify steps to install El Capitan on your PC....

Reactions: Slayerhausen

Slayerhausen

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2020
Well I feel awfully dumb now... I guess I hope if anything the question can help anyone else out. Thanks for the replies guys!

np63om

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2020
"DeltaMac" / "Slayerhusen"
Many thanks for the help and reply.
Best wishes.

Last edited:

macfix17

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2017
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 that has been working perfectly with El Capitan.

Recently I used Onyx to keep my system optimized (using the 'Automation' normal settings) and now when I turn on the computer the progress bar takes a very long time to go to the end and then stays there forever - so I cannot log in.

I have also tried starting it in Safe Mode, also resetting the PRAM, but it doesn't work - I have even copied a new version of boot.efi in the 2 folders it goes to (which sometimes fixed problems when updating the operating system) but it doesn't work either.

What can I do to recover my system since it would take me a week to install it all again? I have tested the harddrive and the result is that the hardware is fine so it has to do with software (and definitely with what I did with Onyx since all worked fine for years before up to using the program).

Thanks

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
I have a Mac Pro 1,1 that has been working perfectly with El Capitan.

Recently I used Onyx to keep my system optimized (using the 'Automation' normal settings) and now when I turn on the computer the progress bar takes a very long time to go to the end and then stays there forever - so I cannot log in.

I have also tried starting it in Safe Mode, also resetting the PRAM, but it doesn't work - I have even copied a new version of boot.efi in the 2 folders it goes to (which sometimes fixed problems when updating the operating system) but it doesn't work either.

What can I do to recover my system since it would take me a week to install it all again? I have tested the harddrive and the result is that the hardware is fine so it has to do with software (and definitely with what I did with Onyx since all worked fine for years before up to using the program).

Thanks
You need to figure out where/why the boot sequence is “slow”...

reboot
wait until you hear the boot chime, then hold down COMMAND V (also known as APPLE V).
this key combination should force your Mac into verbose mode.
you will see text messages as the machine starts up (rather than the progress bar)
be patient, watch the text output, make a note of the last message line at the point it pauses, and also the message line after the pause (if you can, it might speed past too quick).

the message before and the message after the pause should give you some idea what/where is causing you problems. It sounds like Onyx probably deleted something it shouldn’t...

You could also try to rebuild the prebuiltkernel, and the kernel extension cache. That might help, Onyx might have “cleaned the caches a bit too aggressively”.

To rebuild, launch a Terminal (from /Applications/Utilities)
At the command line, type the following

Code:
sudo -s
You will be asked to enter your usual password. Your keystrokes will not echo to the screen, so please type carefully...

next type
Code:
touch /System/Library/Extensions
This is the recommended method of telling the Mac that it needs to rebuild its caches. (Apple Developer Technical Q&A QA1319)

Wait a few minutes, and then reboot. The first reboot might be slow (because you have invalidated the caches and they are being rebuilt), subsequent boots should be “normal”...

Last edited:
Reactions: macfix17

macfix17

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2017
Thanks a lot rthpjm,

I am going to try that and will write back as soon as I have some results. I am crossing my fingers.

Cheers

MasterChief2

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2018
Hello everyone. I have problem with El Capiten running on Mac Pro 1,1 (2x2.66GHz Dual Core, 2x2GB, GeForce GT710 2GB). First of all, I flashed Firmware to 2,1 and also flash SMC. I installed El Capitan following some tutirial on YT and i succesfuly booted but after five to ten minutes Mac freezes and then restart and I can't figure what's the problem. A tried to boot El Capitan with stock GPU (recognized as 7300GT 7MB) and problem is same, I managed to install Nvidia WEB drivers and GT710 was recognized with full acceleration but problem is still the same. On natively supported MAC OS X Lion 10.7.5 I have not this problems. So does anyone have any idea what could be the problem?
I have 4GB of RAM. Official minimal requirements is 2GB, and I also have MacBook Pro with 4GB witch is running macOS Catalina without problems.. But maybe RAM is problem, when I get hands on some RAM I will try

I get some hands on 32GB RAM for 35$. Using pikify installer, I created bootable flash with El Capitan and do clean install. Now everything works fine. There is no freezing. So problems was with RAM or with bad image file I used to restore.

macfix17

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2017
@rthpjm,

I have tried what that you suggested but nothing, using Command + V (verbose mode) results in "too many corpses being created" appearing eternally.

I really don't know what else to try - I guess I might need to install it all again from scratch? Oh no...!

rthpjm

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2011
U.K.
@rthpjm,

I have tried what that you suggested but nothing, using Command + V (verbose mode) results in "too many corpses being created" appearing eternally.

I really don't know what else to try - I guess I might need to install it all again from scratch? Oh no...!
You might try some of the directions in this thread before attempting a full re-install

similarly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.