Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
Still not working... Now I'm a little confused about this whole boot.efi thing.

Since I'm running with Tiamo's script my ioreg says "EFI64".

...I've replaced the boot.efi on the USB drive at both places. Did I need to do that at all?

(I still get the not to possible to install message)

here's a really nice guide about how to create a USB installer ->
https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20075605/

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
That's the one I used.

Do I still need to replace the USB drive's boot.efi if my ioreg reports "firmware-abi" = <"EFI64">?

just follow the guide step by step and it'll work. I did it myself over and over again (few hours ago with the Yosemite release) and it works flawless.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
just follow the guide step by step and it'll work

I know and that's the most frustrating part. I already tried to install 2 times last night and a third a few minutes ago with a freshly built USB drive. I have no idea what's going on, I'm following the guide to the letter.

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
I know and that's the most frustrating part. I already tried to install 2 times last night and a third a few minutes ago with a fresh built USB drive. I have no idea what's going on, I'm following the guide to the letter.

sorry to hear that. in my experience, not every USB stick or external HDD works. have you tried using another thumbdrive or external disk to create the installer on? just last week I ran into this obstacle...

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
sorry to hear that. in my experience, not every USB stick or external HDD works. have you tried using another thumbdrive or external disk to create the installer on? just last week I ran into this obstacle...

I'm using the same thumbdrive as the Mavericks install. I'm going to try another one...

atvusr

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2010
The dark mode looks somehow not bad on unsupported Macs without graphics acceleration. If you change the appearance (in System Preferences) to Graphite, dark menu bar & Dock as well as Highlight color Graphite too, then it looks quite decent and remembers a little bit at NeXTSTEP ....

nah, nothing compares to the NeXT GUI ;) owning a bunch of NeXTcubes myself, I still am very much in love with the old 2-bit greyscale GUI. it so was not distracting from the content or work on the screen. BTW: the Dock needs to be placed vertically on the right border of the screen :)

Fixed ... ;)

Attachments

• Screen_Shot.jpg
    Screen_Shot.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 193

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
I know and that's the most frustrating part. I already tried to install 2 times last night and a third a few minutes ago with a freshly built USB drive. I have no idea what's going on, I'm following the guide to the letter.

When editing "Distribution" and PlatformSupport-plist, are you ABSOLUTELY sure you didn't use curly quotation marks such as “”〝〞? If you are ABSOLUTELY sure, make ABSOLUTELY sure AGAIN. More likely than not, that's the reason it isn't working for you. Some editors add such quotation marks by default, even if that isn't your intention. The quotation marks MUST be straight: ".

mikeboss

macrumors 68000
Aug 13, 2009
switzerland
When editing "Distribution" and PlatformSupport-plist, are you ABSOLUTELY sure you didn't use curly quotation marks such as “”〝〞? If you are ABSOLUTELY sure, make ABSOLUTELY sure AGAIN. More likely than not, that's the reason it isn't working for you. Some editors add such quotation marks by default, even if that isn't your intention. The quotation marks MUST be straight: ".

I don't add the machine IDs, I just replace existing ones (don't need the others anyway). this way, I never ran into troubles with quotation marks...

charlan7

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2009
Thank you for this. Working perfect on my Mac Pro (1,1) now 2,1 with 5770, with an SSD and 2X 3Ghz. Extremely fast! Boot in 5 sec.

You're the best!!

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal

IT WORKED!!! :D

Turns out that was the problem. I was absolutely sure but yes I made absolutely sure again. ;) Textedit added a curly quotation at the end by default for some reason. I indeed replaced the last one by straight quotation and....here I am posting this from Yosemite! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

PeterHolbrook

macrumors 68000
Sep 23, 2009
IT WORKED!!! :D

Turns out that was the problem. I was absolutely sure but yes I made absolutely sure again. ;) Textedit added a curly quotation at the end by default for some reason. I indeed replaced the last one by straight quotation and....here I am posting this from Yosemite! :cool::cool::cool::cool:

Glad to hear it worked for you.

Morpheo

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2014
Paris/Montreal
Glad to hear it worked for you.

"one more thing"... ;)

I found the Finder a bit slower than usual and checking my Activity Monitor, I see that kernel_task constantly takes about 40% of cpu...is this still part of the "optimization" after installation? It warned that it could take a while so I'm wondering...

[edit] looks like it's related to my Avid audio interface and not even related to Yosemite, let alone this particular discussion, so nevermind... I'm figuring it out...

Last edited:

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
"one more thing"... ;)

I found the Finder a bit slower than usual and checking my Activity Monitor, I see that kernel_task constantly takes about 40% of cpu...is this still part of the "optimization" after installation? It warned that it could take a while so I'm wondering...

Spotlight is probably indexing.

matteuz

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Italy
I installed Yosemite GM3 on MacPro 1.1 upgraded to 2.1 (dual Xeon X5355) and a AMD HD 5770 Flashed with bootscreen ok.

Yosemite works, but I have defective graphics and extreme lag.

What can I do? Thanks and sorry for my english.

aliajwalker

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2014
Mac Pro 1,1 Yosemite

Hi I've currently got Mavericks on my Mac Pro 1,1, I installed it using my new iMac by connecting a SSD and using the iMac to do the install then copying over the boot.efi files or whatever they are called. Can I do the same for Yosemite if so why files do I have to replace etc?

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
Hi I've currently got Mavericks on my Mac Pro 1,1, I installed it using my new iMac by connecting a SSD and using the iMac to do the install then copying over the boot.efi files or whatever they are called. Can I do the same for Yosemite if so why files do I have to replace etc?

You can do the same thing and you will need to replace the boot.efi files with the new ones for Yosemite.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.