2006 Mac Pro looking to upgrade gfx card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by coconutkc, Jul 2, 2010.

1. coconutkc macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, i'm having a heck of a time figuring out what is and what isn't compatible for my 2006 Mac Pro. I'd like to get the best card I can for 150 or under, any suggestions? Please help, i'd like to buy as soon as possible.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

A new GT card from nVidia. I beleive you have the GT 120 for $149.99 + free shipping. Your other options are Radeon HD 4870 or GTX 285. Both of which are over $150.

3. MacVidCards Suspended

Well, you 've just proven to not only be a troll, but a poorly informed troll.

Neither the GT120 nor the GTX285 will work on a 2006 Mac Pro.

People who have no clue what they are talking about should REALLY avoid giving advice.

For a 2006, you can use:

7300GT (used from Ebay or DV Warehouse, or Mac-Pro.com) $100+
    2600XT (same deal) $100+
    3870 Mac Edition (new or used..just make sure it is for Mac) $200
    8800GT (Must be EFI32 Mac Edition)
    4870 (Apple or flashed, avoid 4890) $200-350
    Quadro 4500 $350

4. Roman23 macrumors 6502

I'd like to add something here

Dear Mac Pro 2006-2007 users,

Your only choice for graphics upgrades is ATI.. THATS IT. Nvidia, a company that is on the verge of bankruptcy and not doing very well(nanofrog) does NOT support EFI32 and they never will.. those mamzerim!(I won't translate this), but ATI is the most user friendly and caters to those in the EFI32 community.. Don't count on nvidia for anything.. I had their GT120 and tossed it in the trash.. my radeon 4870 is much better than the GT120.. but in general I dislike nvidia for what they did to the 2006-2007 mac pro community.. 2008's? You guys are IMMUNE as you have EFI64.. and 2009's? We are also immune.. however, when and if EFI128 comes out? Then all generations are going to be out of lock.

5. slughead macrumors 68040

slughead

not true. you can hack an NVidia GTX480 and get it to work with EFI32. a thread was posted on it earlier this week

6. Vylen macrumors 65816

Christ go away. Seriously...

And i told you.. You don't need to worry about EFI128 in a long time... as long as there are no consumer 128bit CPU's. Hell, there arent that many experimental 128bit CPU's, you can count them on your damn hand.

Get off your EFI obsession and stop posting this **** - you're not being helpful.

7. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Hmm..

According to consensus, I AM very helpful.. but not to kids like you.. Nanofrog knows me and he knows I am not one for causing problems.. but kids like you seem to want to cause problems for people like us because we know more than you do and we have a stronger tie to the last generation of macs than you have.

bottom line: maybe to a small percentage, but not to everyone.. and i consider you VERY UNFRIENDLY and pugnacious at best..

Learn to respect and be nice when you offer criticism, rather than FLAME someone.

so what? ATI gives better choices over nvidia anyway.

but i am not going to argue with a stupid kid anymore.. not worth my time on my 24th birthday.

DOLBOYOB

8. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Hello..

DON'T listen to the person who said GT120 as that card will NOT work in a 2006-2007 mac pro.. your only choices are really 4870 and flashed cards.. ATI is the only one that supports your firmware.. nvidia doesn't - that ended when the 2008 mac pros came out and EFI64.

As you will see when you goto the apple website and look at the GT120 - it will say for use with 2009 mac pros only, though it also works in the 2008's as its been tested by OWC and countless others, INCLUDING me.

9. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Hey man..

I saw the message ROMINATOR(racist) said to you and I just wanted to say what he posted was really nasty, and not even friendly at that.. You aren't a troll at all.. you simply didn't know.. and thats ok.. But, for those like vylen and rominator who think they know it all - They know nothing compared to what I know... yeah, probably because they are gamers and stuff.. and using a mac to play games on(I also play games) - but not to the extreme like these guys do..

so, I think you were in the right as you didn't know.. just someone had to flame you.. it wouldn't have been me.. Russians don't flame anyone.. as we are more respecting of AMericans than americans towards themselves.

my .02

10. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

What's with the whole EFI32... makes no sense what you say. GT 120 is not a gaming card like the HD4870. They are not even near the same level. It is unfair to compare them both. Also, tossing a GT 120 to the trash is plain stupid. EFI128? WTF! We are just getting into 64-bit computing and there are NO consumer level 128-bit CPUs.

What are you smoking... really?

Yes I didn't know about GT 120s. Well, learn something every day.

11. Vylen macrumors 65816

Hey, I never said i know everything. Feel hostile to me all you want, but you have to understand that if you keep posting your apparent dislike for the previous generation of Mac Pro's in every single thread with the same explanation, you're going to get some hostility too.

12. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Went to your website.. my opinion after reading your article on MAC PRO.

seems like you are anti-mac.. reading from what you said about the mac pro - me personally, I have no sony drives at all in my 2009 mac pro.. memory? Ha! I am using desktop PC PNY memory and just upgraded my 2.66 processor to NOT A XEON, but a desktop core i7-975 - the top of the line 3.33 of which apple uses the W3580.

You tout and scream that the mac uses proprietary parts.. how true, to an extent.. But, so far in this 2009 mac pro I own I am able to upgrade far more than in the 2008 I once had.. While I do agree with some stuff you wrote, a majority of the rest of it is just plain nonsense - typical of PC only people.. I left that crowd a long time ago.. and while I build my own computers also, I still have respect for apple though I do wish for Jobs to step down and someone come in and open the macs technology up, so one can get clones again.

13. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Not gonna happen. If it does, the end of OS X easiness of use with respect to hardware and software integration.

14. Roman23 macrumors 6502

I know the GT120 isn't a gaming card..

I wasn't born yesterday.. and really no, i didn't toss it in the trash but it was too slow for my liking.. like you, I am also waiting for the 5870 or any other 58xx series or eyefinity to come out under apple hardware. I like the eyefinity versions as those have support for Mini display port.

no offense intended.

15. petvas macrumors 601

petvas

Very well said. I own a first gen Mac Pro and zi have three cards! One Nvidia 8800 which is also installed on the machine, one 7300 as a backup, and one flashed ATI 4890, which I now don't use because I was tired of hacking the system every time a new update comes in order to make hardware acceleration to work.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Um, I am not waiting for the new Mac Pro to come out, nor am I waiting for 5870 support on it. I am already building my own PC with Crossfire HD 5850s and an i7-930.

Now, I argue against the GTX 480 because it is a heat furnance or space heater, either one is fine.

A Mac Pro is useless to me as it has a high price tag for the ability to "upgrade" certain components. Also, the upgrades are limited to the ones Apple wishes to support officially. Something I really hate because I want to be free in choosing the right card, not what Apple tells me is fine (specially with those poor GDDR equiped GPUs; 512MB in 2010... the fu*k?!)

17. Roman23 macrumors 6502

dislike?? what r u talking about?

I like all the generations of mac pros.. what are you on??? I am just saying that the 2008's have EFI64 plus a much better chance of future video card upgrades compared to those with 2006-2007 EFI32 based machines.. I happen to like all of them.. but I don't like the way Apple does this to people.. they should update te firmware in the 2006-2007 to support EFI64.. so everyone can be on par.. it would be nice if they did..

What statement of dislike did I say about any previous generation mac pro, CONSIDERING i started life on a 2006 mac pro from a G5 Quad.. and if not for the G5 Quad, i would never have ever gotten a mac pro let alone a 2006 model.. shortly after than the same person who sold me the 2006 had an 2008 and traded up for that.. I would have kept my 2008 3.2 8-core, but it had limitations such as:

odd_ports not being recognized in windows - required some "funky" modification to the mbr.. under os x, they work fine.
    vt-x - this was fixed in the 1.4 firmware of the 2009 mac pro, but never in the 2008 even though firmware 1.3 was supposed to fix this and I have alerted Apple's engineering to this. While they told me that I was correct, they might not make a new firmware update to fix this problem..so, its unknown.

IDE bus: They should have done away with IDE completly, though I had two sata superdrives in my mac pro connected to the odd ports and one external for use with windows booting USB, as firewire wouldn't work(windows won;t boot from a firewire optical or hard drive).

Limitations of 2009? So far, none!! I just completed the upgrade of my 2009's 2.66 to the 3.33 w3580 and its working great. Had I had known that the desktop i7-975 would work also and non-ecc memory, prob would have saved 300 dollars.

18. Vylen macrumors 65816

apparent dislike

That's the feeling i get from your posts. Nothing more.

19. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Now for some fun..

You asked:

What are you smoking... really?

I don't smoke, I pump.

I pump as in work out.. smoking is bad for you so they say.. rather pump iron than smoke. Besides, too many of my Russian friends smoke and drink Vodka of which I don't.

20. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Never say never

because you never know if it may happen.. I am sure there are some "5th-columnists" inside Apple somewhere who yearn to open Apple's system to use OEM parts, rather than commercial, proprietary parts.. I admire Jobs, but he is too closed minded when it comes to expansion of a computer.. While I like the imac also, its a closed system and is not that capable of being expanded compared to the mac pro or even a pc for that matter.

21. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Reeeaaaaalllly? I didn't know Apple's employees wanted to sabottage their CEO's dream.

22. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Pretty nifty..

Yeah, the 8800 is a nice card also.. a lot better than the card I originally had in my 2008 mac pro which was the 2600xt. The other good thing I liked about the 8800 was the support for opencl, while the 2600xt didn't have that.. Then I wised up and got the radeon 4870 apple version.. I had a pc flashed radeon 4870 1GB that I bought on ebay from someone and the only problem I had with it is that in system profiler, the card's speed would come up as: 2.5GT/sec instead of 5.0. So, I decided to get the Apple one and ever since I am able to take advantage of 5.0 over 2.5.

According to what I read sometime ago, all pc flashed cards for the mac (at least the ones I have encountered) run at 2.5 rather than 5.0, while under WIndows bootcamp it ran at 5.0.

23. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

24. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Ok..

We are on the same page.. look at what I did!

I took a core i7-975 and replaced the xeon w3520 and it works great.. had to change out the memory, as ECC memory is useless to me.. even xeon's are useless to me. So, actually the single-quad 2009's use standard INTEL OEM processors with integrated heat spreaders - leaving those who own this machine the ability to spend less money to upgrade the processors.. To go from 2.66 to 3.33 on the apple store would have been 1200.00, but i got the parts for a lot less cheaper.

I agree with you.. i like open systems also.. hence why i still build them for friends.

25. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Hey.. a word of advice..

Read my messages a lot more carefully before you say anything negative about them? Not one d*** thing I said wrong about any of the mac pros.. I was just going over their limitations, thats all.. and I express my dislike at Apple for screwing 2006-2007 mac pro owners from further expanding their video cards like 2008 and 2009 can already do.

I am sure that when the radeon 5870 or 5890 comes out as an Apple part, i am sure it will work in those systems as Apple doesn't own the firmware. ATI does and its ATI's decision to include it for that segment of the community. ATI-AMD sorry.