2006 MacPro Upgrade! Grabbed 2 x5365's on Craigslist!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by handheldgames, Sep 1, 2009.

1. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

Been watching and reading all the MacPro1,1 upgrade threads and decided to see what's available on the net last week. Looked on ebay and the net and current prices were about $800 per cpu. Way too much.

I took my search to Craigslist, I'm in Seattle so I checked ST and LA and SCORE!

Was able to grab a pair of x5365's, 3.0Ghz Quad CPU's, off of Craigslist in LA for $800. I ended up buying an upgrade I wasn't planning on - but what the heck.. Why not!

In retrospect, I could have sold my MP 1,1 for about $2000 (what I bought it off of CL for NEW 2 years ago), and thrown the $$$ into a new MacPro.. Which I may do in the long run..

Should I go forward with the CPU upgrade - OR - the new MacPro? I qualify for a developer discount so my price isn't that bad. I'd have to go with the 2.93 Quad though....

Thx!
    HHG

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

depends on what kind of work you do, i'd say. you're right that you may be better off selling the mac pro and the 5365s. you could easily sell them for $500 apiece, at least. another option would be to sell the current computer and pick up a 2008 machine on craigslist.

3. Rainier42 macrumors member

Had the same question a couple of weeks ago. Wound up finding a fully loaded 2008 2.83 octo for $1750. on Craigslist and sold my 2006 MP for $1500. Damn good upgrade for $250.

4. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

The more i think about it.. The more that I'm seriously considering the Craigslist option to sell the Pro, EBAY for the CPU's and Apple Developer Discount to get the MacPro....

I really like my '06 MacPro and I hate to see it go. Then again.. it's just a mac :cool:

Thx!
    HHG

5. nanofrog macrumors G4

If you only want/can have a single system, that would be the way to go. The EFI32 is going to be a problem for future expansion.

Otherwise, you could keep the '06 (backup/retask for something else) and still get the '08 for primary use. :p

6. handheldgames thread starter macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

The x5365 chips arrived and are actually Engineering Samples. If I could only manipulate the multiplier and voltage on this motherboard - these chips are a true overclocker's dream :eek:

Checking the box - just realized I have the '07 MacPro and not the '06 so I should be able to drop the new chips in and have them recognized.

I've been looking closer at selling the MP and without an apple ADC discount, it's out of the question. I just have to weigh re-upping my ADC membership. Not sure if its worth it for iPhone development.

thx!
    HHG

7. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

Having had quite a lot of engineering samples, they aren't exactly blessings. Especially not when most of them does not have the same fault tolerance as normal processors in their class have. Hence why they are, after all, engineering samples. Under certain circumstances they may not perform as expected, otherwise they should be like the normal chips.