2007 Dodge Caliber or 2003 Dodge Neon

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by waloshin, Oct 27, 2009.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

2007 Dodge Caliber $8200 with 1.8L 5 speed power everything , but seats 59,000 KM

2003 Dodge Neon $6,000 with 2.0L 5 speed power everything, but seats 135,000 KM

The 2007 Dodge Caliber selling for $8200 private sale. But the only problem is that its out of province, 10 hours to be exact and I would have to have the car inspected before I could plate the car.

2007 Dodge Caliber insurance + plates for year : 1,145.00

2003 Dodge Neon insurance + plates for year : $1,151.00

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Get whatever you want, because obviously the advice people have given you in your other billion threads on cars has gone in one ear and out the other.

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Remember Chrysler is last in quality for a reason.

If you must, the newer Chrysler if it is the one using the Hyundai motor and comes with a 5-speed manual.

If it has a Mitsubishi auto or a Chrysler engine, run fast, or be prepared to find a reman tranny shop.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Do you make any decisions without first posting them here? :rolleyes:

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Of course etween these two cars lol.

6. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

When are you going to buy the damn car? Every week you post a thread asking for advice on what car to get and we give you advice and obviously you're ignoring it. So why bother? Just buy whatever car you want since our opinion doesn't matter to you.

7. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I think I'd rather teabag my sack in boiling oil before I'd spend money on either, let alone six or eight large.

LOL!

8. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

$6000 for a Dodge Neon?? I assume these are not American dollars.

Personally I would not buy a car that's 7 years old.

9. Ann P macrumors 68020

Go with the one with the lowest mileage of course. In my personal opinion, there are better-looking affordable cars out there...

10. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Seriously, avoid those Chrysler products. They are POS's.

I would look at a Cobalt or Focus if you want to stay American( since most of your car threads have stuck with American manufactures). Those two products will be more reliable then any Chrysler product. They might not be the best compact cars on the market, but they are decent vehicles and both should be easy to find within your price range.

11. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

May I ask you to post a picture of your car or at least post what it is please.

12. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Actually its a DaimlerChrysler, Hyundai and Mitsubishi motor with a 5 speed.

13. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

Seems like a bizarre request. I think they were just stating that they wouldn't be spending their money on either of your choices for whatever reason. I wouldn't either myself.

The visual of teabagging in a pot of oil though... :eek: :D

14. kwk1 macrumors regular

kwk1

The Mopar forum would give you a more knowledgeable answer. I would get the newer one myself, it might have some warranty left too.

15. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Wirelessly posted (Nokia 5800 Tube XpressMusic : Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.4; U; Series60/5.0 Nokia5800d-1/21.0.101; Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413)

You were looking for a Dodge Caliber months ago. In that time, I got a job, turned it down, found another job, earned my doctorate, travelled to Australia for my graduation, went to Japan for 3 weeks, went to Canada, prepared for and applied for a work visa, got it, packed all my belongings, moved countries, started my job, worked for 2 months now, and have actually moved from hostel to a house, and then to ANOTHER house.

Over the same time period, you've started a dozen threads related to a Dodge Caliber purchase.

Just buy the Caliber and drive into a forklift if you can manage it without asking us how. You have failed so hard at living life, and basic decision making skills, you may as well.

16. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

17. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Hopefully it's more Hyundai than anything else because I wouldn't touch anything DC or Mitsubishi built with a barge pole.

And I don't see how what dmr or any of else drive as relevant. We have given you car advice and you repeatedly ignore it. What we drive isn't matter. But if you must know, dmr drives something similar to this ;)
    [​IMG]

No, it's not available in a five speed, no it's not available for 6 grand and no, I don't want to see a thread from you asking to choose between that, a Gulfstream or a Dassault.

18. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Why would you come on MR asking for car advice in the first place? Like a bunch of geeks know what's best for you? Go to some of the car sites, look at reliability and cost comparisons and MAKE a decision.

19. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

If we want to go foreign how about a 2004 Hyundai SANTA FE

For $7000 specs below

Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, AM/FM stereo, Anti-lock brakes, Anti-theft, Bucket seats, CD player, Dual air bag, Fog lights, Keyless entry, Power brakes, Power locks, Power mirrors, Power steering, Power windows, Rear defroster, Roof rack, Tinted glass, 166300 kms, $6900, Pre-owned, FWD, New Safety!! Great Shape, Fantastic On Gas, Power Windows, Power Doors, Power Mirrors, Power Locks, Air Conditioning, Rear Defrost, Pull-out AM/FM CD, Dual Airbags, Keyless Entry, Roof Rack, Grey Interior, 5spd, Front Wheel Drive. 166,300 kms.

I would love to have a Volkswagen Jetta/Golf or even a Honda Civic, but around here I would be spending 10,000 on a 2000 - 2005 of these cars!

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Just buy whatever you want and stop posting threads asking for advice if you aren't going to listen to it :rolleyes:

21. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

If you want an American car, buy a Ford. There's a reason they're the only one of the Big 3 who didn't need a bailout.

22. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

I have looked back at the other posts and all I have seen is DONT buy a Chrysler, Dodge Caliber, Dodge Neon, and to buy a 2001 VW Jetta Tdi which in my opinion is overpriced for a 8 year old car. Yes the engine may last long m but what about the VW electronics, the body and suspension?

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least that way you can ride one, or be one. ;)

24. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Jeez, now you're making ME feel so lazy I think I might just have to drive into a forklift with this guy. :eek::D At the moment I'm scratching my head over which doctoral programs to apply to, and I'm frozen in the presence of choice....

....which seems the terminal illness of the OP here. Although, frankly, aside from the 1st generation with the twincam the Neon has pretty much always been a bad car. Except when compared to the Caliber...a vehicle that I can best relate the value of by avoiding talking about it at all.

To the OP: flip a coin, it really doesn't matter which one you get. The important thing is you buy one NOW.

25. MBPro825 macrumors member

Older Dodge Neons had tranny problems, but by the time Chrysler fixed it (late 90's) the rep stuck with it. I would go Neon for Insurance reasons and up front cash. If you give either one TLC they will last a while.