2007 White Macbook HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by warzinak, Dec 30, 2010.

1. warzinak, Dec 30, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

warzinak macrumors newbie

Hello im hoping you can help me, ive been looking around but confused abit.
    At the moment my Macbook White 2006/7 has a Fujitsu MHZ2120BH 120GB 5400rpm 8MB cache SATA HD .
    It is waaaaay too small for me, i want to upgrade to a faster (if possible) and bigger (500gb-1tb) HD.
    Would buying a 7200rpm 16MB HD SATA II benifit me in anyway? or would it be a waste of money?
    for example would my macbook limit the RPM or the Cache? and would SATAII even work?
    im just trying to find the best HD for the money.

Also another question (less important) i have 2GB (1gbx2) RAM atm. Would replacing 1 of them with a 2GB make a big difference? i know that 3gb is the most my macbook can handle. (i think :S)

if some1 could link me to the correct drive/memory parts for my macbook (on amazon if possible) i would really appreciate it!
    i have around 50 uk pounds to spend.

2. warzinak thread starter macrumors newbie

please? anyone im still looking but dont know

3. fastjon4 macrumors newbie

4. warzinak, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

warzinak thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks 75 pounds is abit over my budget but if its really worth it il get it (if itl make everything alot faster)...i plan to keep this macbook for another 2 years at least so i guess its not a big spend....

so with the ram u recommend i buy 4gb (2gb x2) even tho it sacrifices 1gb? are there any particular better ones? or any 2gb rams will be ok?

EDIT: oh i see its a SSD hybrid....i guess that would be alot faster then...worth spending the extra 25 pounds then...
    THANKS!!

EDIT2: damn it costs 100 pounds in england...77 pounds (119.99$) in america

EDIT3: how much worse would this be? :(
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003TOE4...de=asn&creative=22218&creativeASIN=B003TOE4PQ

EDIT4: or the Seagate Momentus (non XT version)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST9...MYIM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1294429650&sr=8-3

i mean is there that big of a difference to spend double on?
    if there is then i will prob go for the XT...i just dont want to spend double on something thats just slightly faster
    thanks again!

5. warzinak thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok so ive seen some tests done and its a pretty big difference....il go for the XT....found it for 92 pounds....or the 320gb for 80 pounds......dont know if il need the extra 70gb as i have 2tb on externals...but its only 12 pounds difference....

im still unsure about the RAM....it seems pretty expensive to me unless im looking at the wrong one....it looks like 40 pounds is the min for 4gb of RAM...im looking for any ddr3 ram right? or does my macbook take different ram? im so confused....
    if you could link me to a RAM on amazon it would really help me look for the one i need....
    thanks!

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

For the same money, RAM + normal hard drive will give you better performance than no RAM + XT hard drive (and the XT hard drive has compatibility problems with some Macs, so I would be careful with it).

www.dabs.com has 500GB 7200 RPM for £45. For RAM, check www.crucial.com to make sure you get RAM that is compatible with your computer.

7. warzinak, Jan 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2011

ah im pretty set on getting the XT + extra RAM now lol...but if u say it has compatibility issues then now im even more confused on what to do....
    im prob gonna have to spend around 150 for the XT+RAM but like i said im hoping this macbook still has about 2-3 years of life left in it..maybe more....
    so its a worthy upgrade....im just worried about the 1gb sacrifice

EDIT: did the crucial scan and got these results

seems as tho 2gb is my max :O

reading this thread though....
    http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...tion-mac-book-mb062ll-max-memory-allowed.html

maybe i can handle 4gb(3.3gb)

maybe this would be good...but at 35 pounds per 2gb...id have to spend another 70 pounds
    http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/34970...M-Upgrade-For-Apple-iMac-MacBook/Product.html

is there anything for the price thats better?

8. warzinak thread starter macrumors newbie

what do you guys think? any better options?

9. Yaboze macrumors 6502a

Yaboze

I just bought a WD Black 16MB Cache 7200RPM 320GB drive off of NewEgg, not sure if they sell to the UK or if there is a UK store.

It was around $60 US. I replaced the same exact 120GB stock drive.

It has made a big difference, especially since I did clean install of Snow Leopard. The drive is quiet, I don't even hear it.

As for memory, I bought 4GB of Kingston RAM right away (back Dec 07), I had the 1GB default and just replaced the ram. This is when Apple's ram upgrades were 4x the cost of just getting it in the store.

I picked the 320GB because of the cost and it was well over 2x the space, so it was a good enough upgrade for me.

10. warzinak, Jan 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2011

sorry to bump this i just hate buying the wrong thing...is what i picked good? im asking because its not my money or macbook so im trying to get the best price for parts possible. if there is something better for the money they what i picked then id like to know please...

im still completely unsure on what RAM to get and if itl really be worth getting the XT