2007 White MacBook - Mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by chrislufc1977, Oct 27, 2013.

1. chrislufc1977 macrumors member

I just have a couple of questions about Mavericks.

1. Can I even download/install it on my 2007 white MacBook - 10.5.8, 4GB RAM, 2ghz Core 2 Duo?

2. Would it perform Ok on my MacBook or should I just upgrade to Snow Leopard and forget Mavericks?

Thank in advance.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

That Macbook is too old to run 10.9. The newest version of Mac OS X it can run is 10.7.

3. chrislufc1977 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the quick reply! :)

4. Bruno09, Oct 27, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

Bruno09 macrumors 68020

5. chrislufc1977 thread starter macrumors member

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I bought one a few weeks ago and got it within 5 days (shipped from Ireland to France).

7. skipcooney macrumors newbie

Snow Leopard vs Lion

I have a late 2007 black MacBook with a 2.2GHz Core 2 processor and 4 GB RAM running Snow Leopard (10.6.8) now. Should I install Lion?

8. brdeveloper macrumors 68020

brdeveloper

Not really. The main benefit from Mavericks is bigger battery life (around 10%). However, you can have some apps not working (usually apps which you compiled by yourself, i.e., MacPorts if you have installed). If your planning buying a SSD, it would be worth upgrading to Mavericks through a clean SL install + combined upgrade to 10.6.8 + upgrading to Mavericks).

9. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

A late 2007 Macbook can not upgrade to Mavericks : Maximum OS = 10.7.5

10. pastrychef macrumors 601

pastrychef

The benefits of Mavericks goes far beyond just "bigger battery life". The memory management is far improved and, in my opinion, the most important improvement of Mavericks.

Secondly, yes, 2006-2008 (1,1-4,2) MacBooks can only go up to 10.7.x Lion. There are no 64 bit drivers for the GMA950 and X3100 found in those computers.

11. AppleFanatic10 macrumors 68030

AppleFanatic10

1. There are ways of doing it, but I'd advise against it; since your hardware isn't supposed to run Mavericks. Basically if your MacBook can't run ML, then it can't run Mavericks.

2. I say just forget it and just upgrade to SL.

12. chrislufc1977 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I did a clean install of SL yesterday and it's running beautifully! :)

13. Mal67 macrumors 6502a

That's what I did plus pushed my memory to 4g from 1g. Now when Apple is finished with SL then Lion will still be there to upgrade to hopefully for another year.

14. jacobpina1 macrumors newbie

I gave up on waiting for Hakerwayne to develop MacPostFactor, which would install Mountain Lion and Mavericks on "unsupported" Macs. So, I decided to play around with the files myself and have managed to install it on my MacBook 2,1 (Mid-2007 White) with 4GB of RAM and GMA 950 integrated graphics. I would be more than happy to tell you how to do this if you would like.

15. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Jacob,

I have 3 older 2007-2008 macbooks with 2-4GB ram. I think many of us would like three important questions answered:

1) Did your performance and functionality go up reasonably for the trouble?

2) how difficult was it?

3) Care to share a writeup on how to do it?

I personally enjoy SL 10.6.8, but would be interested in 10.9 to take advantage of some of its features if it is doable and at little or no performance loss.

Thank ya
    WC

16. jacobpina1 macrumors newbie

1) Performance wise, it seems the same as Mountain Lion, for me at least. Functionality wise, it is not the same because I no longer have QE/CI.

2) It isn't difficult to complete the process as most can be done by copying and pasting terminal commands and files.

3)Here is a link to my guide and the required files: http://www.mediafire.com/download/fn8oeh4j4rwwqqa/Essential%20Files.zip
    I tried to make it as simple as possible, with a very minimal amount of terminal commands. The guide may not be the best as I have never created a guide before, so if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

17. WildCard^ macrumors regular

cool, downloaded, will test out later this afternoon. thanks!

18. jacobpina1 macrumors newbie

19. WildCard^ macrumors regular

Hey Jacob,
    Your guide in the RAR appears bugged. I tried opening it in both word and wordpad, and it just has jibberish. Can you save a copy here in the thread? I have the other files.

Thanks!
    WC

20. jacobpina1 macrumors newbie

Sorry, here is the guide in .txt format.

Attached Files:

21. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Sorry, but if QE/CI is not enabled then SL is still the best and Lion will be better if you want your OS to be a bit modern.

I was previously on Lion on my early '08 but decided to revert back to old reliable SL.

22. jacobpina1 macrumors newbie

I agree that this is not as good as SL or Lion; however, my intention with this is just to let those who are desperate to run Mavericks on their Mac be able to. I don't think that this should be somebody's primary OS, but if anyone wanted to try it out, they can now. I thought that this could be a way to "drive by" until Hackerwaye releases MacPostFactor with (hopefully) GMA 950 support for Mavericks.

23. petekingtran macrumors newbie

I followed your instructions, USB refuses to boot into mavericks when restarting macbook, is there anything else I've missed, included the boot.efi in the relevant locations, added my board id to the mpkg files, so I don't know where else i've gone wrong unless my macbook is rally that old.

I have a macbook 2,1 early 2006 running mountain lion using the ML PostFactor at the moment... any help is appreciated

24. WildCard^ macrumors regular

are you confident in your USB boot device? How did you make it?

25. jacobpina1 macrumors newbie

1. What brand of flash drive are you using?
    2. Did you hold alt when booting up the macbook and then choose the flash drive?
    3. Tell me what options you have when holding alt at the startup and what external devices you have plugged into your MacBook.
    4. What happens when you try to boot from the USB drive?
    Thank you