Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petekingtran

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2013
are you confident in your USB boot device? How did you make it?
1. What brand of flash drive are you using?
2. Did you hold alt when booting up the macbook and then choose the flash drive?
3. Tell me what options you have when holding alt at the startup and what external devices you have plugged into your MacBook.
4. What happens when you try to boot from the USB drive?
Thank you

I'm using sandisk 8GB cruser slice, I followed this guide to make my mavericks USB flash drive - http://www.tips-and-tricks-in-mavericks.com/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-install-drive/ - looked easy enough

yes, the USB flash drive comes up on the list as OS X Base System (I really don't think it would make a difference if you rename the USB flash drive), also got Mac HD and Recovery HD on that list

NO external devices plugged into macbook other than the USB flash drive

When I boot from USB drive, apple logo comes up, I can see the USB flashing but then it just goes into my login screen..... I also replaced the boot.efi and replaced the files in both system/../... and usr/../... folders and also put the board id into the OSinstall.mpkg and InstallableMachine.plist files - all this done on the USB flash drive and NOT on the system itself.

I'm starting to think this cannot be done on just a standard macbook 2,1 (AND NOT MACBOOK PRO which this thread seems to be relating to) because of the GMA 950 graphics accleration, you'd experience issues like not being able to adjust brightness and no sound coming up.

do you have screenshots of your current macbook settings, just so I can verify that you're using a macbook late 2006 model? I've been through other threads but that all seems to relate to the macbook PROS and not the actual white/black macbooks themselves.

jacobpina1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
I'm using sandisk 8GB cruser slice, I followed this guide to make my mavericks USB flash drive - http://www.tips-and-tricks-in-mavericks.com/how-to-create-an-os-x-mavericks-install-drive/ - looked easy enough

yes, the USB flash drive comes up on the list as OS X Base System (I really don't think it would make a difference if you rename the USB flash drive), also got Mac HD and Recovery HD on that list

NO external devices plugged into macbook other than the USB flash drive

When I boot from USB drive, apple logo comes up, I can see the USB flashing but then it just goes into my login screen..... I also replaced the boot.efi and replaced the files in both system/../... and usr/../... folders and also put the board id into the OSinstall.mpkg and InstallableMachine.plist files - all this done on the USB flash drive and NOT on the system itself.

I'm starting to think this cannot be done on just a standard macbook 2,1 (AND NOT MACBOOK PRO which this thread seems to be relating to) because of the GMA 950 graphics accleration, you'd experience issues like not being able to adjust brightness and no sound coming up.

do you have screenshots of your current macbook settings, just so I can verify that you're using a macbook late 2006 model? I've been through other threads but that all seems to relate to the macbook PROS and not the actual white/black macbooks themselves.

It may be a problem with the flash drive itself. Not all flash drives are bootable or not bootable by default. If you have another type of flash drive, you could try booting off that one. If you don't have another flash drive, you could try creating a 10GB partition on your internal HD and follow the instructions from there.

Did you place your board ID in /System/Library/CoreServices also?

Also, make sure that your Partition Map Scheme is set to GUID on the flash drive.

Attachments

• MacBook.png
    MacBook.png
    93.3 KB · Views: 536

nikolaki83

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
I tried everything noting works i cant boot mavericks.

I tried different usb i also tried partition from my external disk. I followed the instructions i put the board id in the both places at the tip of the list i copied the boot efi i copied the mach kernel in the root i used the edited osinstall and won't boot.

Please tell me if there is anything else what i can do or can you make a vdeo tutorial.?

jacobpina1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
I tried everything noting works i cant boot mavericks.

I tried different usb i also tried partition from my external disk. I followed the instructions i put the board id in the both places at the tip of the list i copied the boot efi i copied the mach kernel in the root i used the edited osinstall and won't boot.

Please tell me if there is anything else what i can do or can you make a vdeo tutorial.?

Can you please describe what the problem is? Can you not get to the installer(what happens if you cant) or can you not get to the Mavericks desktop? Also, can you please tell me the brand of your flash drive and the model of your MacBook?

XcoderIos

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2014
Me too

Followed the guide a couple of times with a couple of different USB disks. No Luck, I end up back in Lion desktop. Even modified the OSInstaller.mpgk in the installation packages directory

Using OS X 10.9 Mavericks GM.dmg
OS 10.7.5
MacBook2,1

Restart, hold down the option key, see OS X Base System.
Use arrow keys navigate to it, hit enter. Apple logo appears, USB access light turns on, after a few seconds it turns off then the loading circle appears and lion boots up.

My guess is the maverick image we are using is different from the one you used in the guide.

jacobpina1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
Followed the guide a couple of times with a couple of different USB disks. No Luck, I end up back in Lion desktop. Even modified the OSInstaller.mpgk in the installation packages directory

Using OS X 10.9 Mavericks GM.dmg
OS 10.7.5
MacBook2,1

Restart, hold down the option key, see OS X Base System.
Use arrow keys navigate to it, hit enter. Apple logo appears, USB access light turns on, after a few seconds it turns off then the loading circle appears and lion boots up.

My guess is the maverick image we are using is different from the one you used in the guide.
If I'm thinking of the right model then your Macbook ONLY has EFI 32, correct? That would be your problem. While later Macbooks have a 32 and 64 EFI yours only has 32.
This makes it impossible to use my method on your computer. You could think of it as running a x64 OS on x86 Windows Machine. It just won't work.

nikolaki83

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Can you please describe what the problem is? Can you not get to the installer(what happens if you cant) or can you not get to the Mavericks desktop? Also, can you please tell me the brand of your flash drive and the model of your MacBook?

When i try to boot into OSX Base System mac logo appears and i end up in my Mountain Lion OSX.

This are my mac's settings:

MacBook3,1
MB31.008E.B02

Processor 2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Graphics Intel GMA X3100 144 MB
Software OS X 10.8.4

I also have the app mavericks in applications

Flash drive is Lacie 16GB
i tried with partition OF 10 GB on external drive freecom 500GB

Last edited:

jacobpina1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
Sorry for being lazy but I'm in a bit of a hurry. Try a different flash drive because I don't think that yours is bootable. Also, I stumbled upon this a while ago

http://oemden.com/?page_id=585

This is make my guide an automated process. Please let me know how it works out.

nikolaki83

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
Sorry for being lazy but I'm in a bit of a hurry. Try a different flash drive because I don't think that yours is bootable. Also, I stumbled upon this a while ago

This is make my guide an automated process. Please let me know how it works out.

I tried it's not working the script is not working for me at all is not copying the packages nor the boot efi nor modifying the plist. So i did it all manually and tried with the partition of my external hdd which is bootable because i have already used a partition from this hdd with MLPostFactor and it worked for me.

But this is not working i cant get to boot into installation of mavericks maybe is not working with MacBook Late 2007. Did anyone succeed to instal Mavericks on this version of MacBook?

XcoderIos

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2014
It worked

This link worked:

Thanks Jacobpina1.

I could not use a usb drive though. For some reason, the white mid 2007 Macbook 2,1 does not boot from a usb. I tried Unibeast, multibeast, and a bunch of others to verify it.

I had to shrink my current partition on my drive using disk utility, create a new 16 gb partition for the installation and then use the above link utility to create the installation boot drive on that partition. I then had to boot into Lion, run disk utility and create a new large partition that I wanted to install Mavericks onto. Finally after rebooting I held down the option key, selected the 16 gb partition and was able to install Mavericks onto the new one.

I can see why they don't support it on my macbook. Safari does not work and keeps crashing, I had to install chrome. Can't watch youtube videos at all, and it is pretty slow. Wireless worked, usb worked and most importantly Xcode 5 worked and I was able to upload to the app the store, even though it took a long time.

Thank you for the help everyone. Saved me a thousand dollars for a year or two more I reckon.

nikolaki83

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2012
I finally managed to install Mavericks but now i cant boot into Mavericks desktop. When i try to boot into it it just show apple logo and brings me to the Mountain Lion desktop.

What is the problem and how to fix it?

jl33

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Bordeaux
Efi

Niko, (and others)

You should check if your EFI and your "entire" Macbook is a 32 or 64 Bit
See those : Architecture of Processor : 32 or 64-Bit and EFI Architecture: 32 or 64-Bit
On your Macbook details : on everymac.com

Jacob : you're an angel. It is not the first time i read "How-to" from you. You've already saved me many time (your 7.0 for exemple)

I will tried installing 10.9 as soon as possible.
I've just succeded in installing ML on my MacBook Core 2D 2.16 White.
But I thing with MLPF, i putted it in 32b whereas mine could support 64b. Am i wrong ?

----------

According to everymac, Niko's sould be a 64bits as mine (EFI + proc)

jacobpina1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
jl33, I'm not sure I understand what your question is but I will attempt to answer it.

Your Mac boots into a 32-bit mode; therefore, you can not load the stock 64-bit kernel that comes with Mavericks. What MLPF does is runs ML in 32-bit mode, but all because you are running it in 32-bit mode, doesn't mean you can't run 64-bit apps. A 32-bit kernel can still understand the structures passed in from 64-bit apps. If this doesn't answer your question please let me know.

Niko, sorry for not responding to your question. I have been very busy with school and work so I don't have much time on my hands right now.

jl33

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
Bordeaux
64 or 32...

I understood MLPF "transforms" some 64b stuffs in 32b (translation for a newb like me)

I think I make a mistake installing ML with MLPF (32b) I wonder if I could have done it in 64b.

My question was/is : as mine is a 64Bit EFI Architecture & processor, Doesn't it mean It could boot into a 64bit kernel / mode ?

----------

I finally managed to install Mavericks but now i cant boot into Mavericks desktop. When i try to boot into it it just show apple logo and brings me to the Mountain Lion desktop.

What is the problem and how to fix it?

It did hapen to me when isntalling ML with MLPF simply besause I wasn't correctly writting the name I was supposed to of my install partition

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
MLPostFactor is actually running great now. Definitely more than stable enough to be a daily driver. (Posted from the Macbook in my signature)

srihari83

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
to jacobpina1

@jacobpina1: your guide has been extremely helpful to try & understand how it works! thanks a ton!! but it isn't really working on my system.. I've been trying to get a bootable Mavericks USB to work but it fails each time & boots from my default drive.. could you please tell me which version of OS X 10.9 you could get it working & install 10.9 on your Macbook 2.1?? I have a Macbook white 3.1 with os x 10.5.8..
Apparently, the apple script 'createinstallmedia' on the Mavericks install app works only on os x 10.9, so I had to try your method.. I tried to create bootable Mavericks usb using versions 10.9.1 (13B42) & 10.9.0 (13A603).. in both cases, it creates a root-editable boot USB.. on holding option-key at startup, system detects something bootable in the USB but fails & goes to default bootable HDD with os x 10.5.8.. I've tried your method both with & without the modified OSInstall.mpkg file I downloaded for the appropriate version of os x 10.9.x .. I suspect the hardware check disabling done on these edited mpkgs isn't done well, could you suggest links form which to get the good ones please??

jacobpina1

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2013
You said you downloaded the mpkg? You need to edit one yourself so you can place your machines info in it.

srihari83

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2014
@jacobpina1: Sorted it out finally.. when trying SFOTT's command line app to make usb bootable mavericks, I realised macbook 3.1 has 64bit EFI, so I didn't need to use tiamo's patched version all along.. & of course, I also learned to edit the OSInstall.mpkg to add my board ID.. it worked & mavericks up & running, though there's no graphics acceleration, frame buffer's a bit buggy too.. I even tried the 64bit graphics kexts for ML10.8 I found on links/forums online, no use.. so effectively it's just a proof-of-principle install for now.. & will have to wait for a PostFactor for Mavericks.. Does your MB2.1 work well with graphics acceleration on the GMA950 chipset?
ps: Thanks again for the very well compiled, lovely zip archive you posted.. really helped a lot!!

whyameye

macrumors newbie
Aug 30, 2014
I followed jacobpina1's directions for a Macbook White mid 2007 2,1 and it seems to mostly work. He did a nice job documenting every step carefully. Here's what I found:

• The io80211family.kext he provides doesn't allow me to connect to wifi. However I am able to connect to wifi fine without using this kext.
  • I can't dim the display. The F1 and F2 keys bring up the on-screen display slider and the slider acts as if it is working, but the display doesn't actually dim.
  • I can put the Macbook to sleep but when it wakes up again the screen won't come back. I have to force-power-off the machine to get out of this state.
  • There is some amount of GMA950 GPU graphics acceleration happening.

The Macbook is now dual-boot and still runs Mountain Lion from ML Post Factor as well. That runs fairly smoothly and didn't have these problems. This is an Xcode-only machine I use only for compiling iOS apps so I think I can squeak by with this machine for a little longer. If Xcode 6 and iOS8 weren't coming out I'd stick with Mountain Lion or probably still be using Apple-supported Lion.

For my Mavericks image I used 10.9.4 downloaded directly from the App Store a few days ago on a virtual machine.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
http://swegen.blogspot.it/2011/07/bootefi-x64-patch-for-mac-os-x-lion-and.html?m=1
Try these kext and let me know of they works.. I have a 3,1 macbook with x3100 gpu and I'm ineterested to have yosemite or at least a fully working mavericks in my macbook.

I think using sfott for this mac is not the best thing to do since it is a 64bit boot.efi capable

prramesh

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2008
Can't be installed on this computer

I followed the procedure that mentioned here, I can successfully boot through usb, but it says "Can't be installed on this computer". I have give the correct board-id of my macbook (2007 white) in "PlatformSupport.plist” and also in "InstallableMachines.plist" Still I am getting this error.

Model: macbook 2,1
year: 2007

Can you help me? thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.