Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
I believe they do. It isn't big, and it isn't clever.

in tv here they said that the horns are a part of visiting football matches in south africa ... they even do that in normal league games

on the other side i think that for coming world cups this should be considered in the evaluation if fans like to play annoying instruments in stadiums

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Nice steal at midfield by Rossi and great strike past Howard. 1-1.

Italy 2-1 as a De Rossi strike somehow eludes two US defenders and Howard. US needs a miracle now...

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Sounds like they're playing inside a giant beehive. Did they give away free plastic horns to entice the locals to attend the match?

USA is acquitting themselves pretty well so far...

If you give a Fan a horn...
he will ask you for some foam hands

i see another installation of the book series coming, ready for 2010.

interesting match.

the red card was maybe excessive, a yellow was deserved but it should have been enough.
On the other hand, the disallowed own goal by young Bernstein was puzzling and the penalty was a bit generous as well. Definitively contact, but also a remarkable dive by altidore.

Donovan played really well, but he didn't have sufficient support (and they really paid the red card in the second half).
Overall a fair result and Rossi is def someone to watch.
If Italy gets rid of their elderly (toni, camoranesi) for the next generation they could become a threat next year.
assuming that italy and brazil will win their games vs egypt and the US (not at all guaranteed), the direct match will be very open. i thought brazil would be way superior, but after the first game they seem quite evenly matched. Spain easily the favourites for the tourney.

curiosity of the day: Italy beat USA 3-1, but Americans beat Italians 3-1 :D

on a separate note: what an ugly kit the italians donned!

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
Back to the new kits for the upcoming season, Spurs' is horrible:

tottenham-hotspur-09-10-puma-kits-leaked.jpg

swiftaw

macrumors 603
Jan 31, 2005
Omaha, NE, USA
A lot of the Puma shirts are using variations of that template, with the collar flashes. It makes them look like they're wearing university gowns, if you ask me. Not good.

Plus, Yellow and White never go well together. Wouldn't have been as bad if they had been blue flashes on the home shirt.

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
Meanwhile, leaked images of the new Spurs goalkeeper's kits – once again featuring the collar flashes...

spurs-09-10-adidas-gk-kits-2.jpg

Also leaked today, Middlesbrough's new kit – their first produced as part of their new 'partnership' with Adidas. Unfortunately they've dropped the white bar from the front of the shirt in favour of a swoosh-type affair, a pity as it was a distinctive feature of the 'Boro kit.

middlesbrough-09-10-home-adidas-shirt.jpg

Basically, it looks to be the same template as used by the Spanish national team, which kind of look a bit like Starfleet uniforms.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Wish I could have seen the game, but Giuseppe Rossi breaks our hearts, first by choosing Italy over USA (not that I blame him), and then scoring against his jilted side at the first opportunity. :(

I guess 3-1 is not a bad result with ten men against the defending World Cup champs, despite the fact that the combined age of the Italian side is about 3,000 years.

It all comes down to the Egypt game for USA to have a chance at getting some points before our inevitable exit from the group stage. Although I'm still secretly praying for a shock upset against Brazil.

NathanCH

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2007
Vancouver, BC
It was a great game. Both games today were really exciting to watch. I can't say I'm a fan of the US team, but I did feel bad when Rossi striked that ball into the back of the net. Talk about pouring salt on a wound!

Fizzoid

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Well, rumour has it Liverpool have had a £18.5m bid accepted for Glen Johnson. Does that mean Arbeloa is off to Real then?

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
Heh. It appears Sky Sports News made a bit of a booboo the other day, accidentally showing a graphic of Arsenal's first six League fixtures for the 2009/10 season – a quick-witted viewer took a snap and it's since been doing the rounds on various football forums...

gunners.jpg

If it is genuine, then it's not to say those fixtures are correct – they could just be placeholders or something – but for XIII and our other resident Gooners it might just be a taster of tomorrow's fixtures.

pachyderm

macrumors G3
Jan 12, 2008
Smyrna, TN
Heh. It appears Sky Sports News made a bit of a booboo the other day, accidentally showing a graphic of Arsenal's first six League fixtures for the 2009/10 season – a quick-witted viewer took a snap and it's since been doing the rounds on various football forums...

View attachment 176299

If it is genuine, then it's not to say those fixtures are correct – they could just be placeholders or something – but for XIII and our other resident Gooners it might just be a taster of tomorrow's fixtures.

so june 17th is the date?

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Definitely a foul (in spite of the theatrics ) and as he would have been clear on goal should have been a red card as well.
i agree there was likely a foul there, but the acting put me off. i don't think it should have been a red card, though.

It was a great game. Both games today were really exciting to watch. I can't say I'm a fan of the US team, but I did feel bad when Rossi striked that ball into the back of the net. Talk about pouring salt on a wound!

Wish I could have seen the game, but Giuseppe Rossi breaks our hearts, first by choosing Italy over USA (not that I blame him), and then scoring against his jilted side at the first opportunity. :(

I guess 3-1 is not a bad result with ten men against the defending World Cup champs, despite the fact that the combined age of the Italian side is about 3,000 years.

It all comes down to the Egypt game for USA to have a chance at getting some points before our inevitable exit from the group stage. Although I'm still secretly praying for a shock upset against Brazil.

yeah, it is kind of ironic that his first competitive goals come against his co-country (he has dual citizenship). I don't see it as any sort of 'betray', though, no more that i would consider non-american any american child who was born abroad.
many people have dual-citizenship, and when time comes, they have to choose. and I think he did very early on: according to wiki he has been playing for italian youth sides since his early teens

i think the US still have a chance, but a very slim one. I think they are the 4th best team in the tournament, and they could pull an unlikely upset against brazil if everything goes right. they were unlucky with the draw, i think.

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England

View attachment 176299

Yeah, I saw that - speculation now is that that was just a mock up of what they would do with the fixtures, and that they aren't correct. We'll see tomorrow!

More Arsenal speculation - Eboue could be off!! :mad:

XIII

macrumors 68040
Aug 15, 2004
England
Indeed - the media do get the fixtures several days in advance though so who knows? If they are the actual fixtures then it might be a Sky worker and not a manager who's first to lose their job this season...

You can check against alternative predictions of our fixtures that someone claims to know:

I’ll have a little bet with you on this one guys. The “leaked” fixtures are not in fact “leaked” but wrong. A test that mistakenly went to air. My sources are it will be a trip to Goodison Park for the first weekend of the season with our first home game being against Roberto Martinez’s merry men.

The full fixtures list is only hours away now. It is extremely exciting to make a plan of where we will win the league. I would almost certainly put some money on spending boxing day on the South Coast in one of my favourite watering holes – Tiger, Tiger perhaps. Villa will be in line to give us some early Christmas presents at the home of football. We’ll be playing the scum bags from the other end of Seven Sister and Manq land at a similar time to last season too.

We will see...!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
Interesting stuff! Mind, I was following that and then he spoils it all by reckoning you'll win the League. After that, I couldn't take anything he was saying seriously. ;)

It is all rather exciting though. I have a shortlist of away fixtures I want to make, I'll know tomorrow if any of them are going to be workable...

Are Arsenal staging a pre-season tournament again this year? If so, is anyone good reckoned to be tipping up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.